Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC18 / CC Mamba-25 no throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? RC18 / CC Mamba-25 no throttle

Just updated the firmware using the CastleLink on my RC18T and now I have no throttle - Just an orange LED after the start up beeps (steering works fine).

I've verified the throttle signal is good from the radio as well as installed the latest Castle Software (May 18 2011) - still, just the orange LED. Even tried reinstalling the old firmward - no difference.

Can't seem to get the ESC to go into throttle calibration mode either (thinking that may be the problem) - followed CC's instructions to a "T" and nothing - some beeps, then just that pesky orange LED staring at me. Maybe I'm not doing it right? I'm using the stock radio.

Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have seen many ESCs act up after installing new firmware, but it can almost always be "fixed" by uploading it a second time, or going back to the old firmware. I would start with trying to upload a few more times. After that, if you are certain you have your radio settings within a normal range for calibration I would suggest calling Castle and talk them thru your procedure so you get the best help possible. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, but it is often something simple that people overlook that causes problems like yours.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I tried loading all the firmwares my CastleLink software has - no change (in this case back to 1.16 non-beta).

Then I chose the "Restore Defaults" option. Now I can at least get to the throttle calibration phase.

My trouble now is the ESC accepts my full throttle input, but does not accept the full brake input - just sits there beeping a red LED. I'm following Castle's instructions exactly (as it seems to me), but can't seem to get past the reverse portion on the calibration.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is the end point adjustment on brake side of the transmitter set to less than %100?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

That was it. Dual rate had to be at full, along with the "th. atv" hi and low knobs had to be at full. Works again. Thanks!

Still have the cogging/studdering issue. I'm fairly confident it is not the battery or connection (although perhaps it is), they are brand new 7.4v 2200mAH 40C discharge Li-pos.

I think my next step is to go to a smaller pinion gear?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

If you have got version 1.16 that will be cause of the cogging. The best version IMO is 1.22 beta. Not as many programming options but the smoothest throttle.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Seems like v1.22 is much better. Still had cogging issues though - enough not to be drivable. Changed the pinion from 14t to 10t and it is working much better - actually drivable.

I noticed that it will still cog if I'm standing too far away (like 25 feet or so), like the rx is momentarily losing signal causing a jerky throttle/steering response. Tx batteries show "full" but I've got them on charge anyway. Seems like the range should be better than that though.

What gearing do people find to work well for off road driving plus keeping their brushless systems happy? I think my spur gear is 60t, but I can't remember.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What battery are you using in the car 18T? Sounds like a voltage issue there, not the transmitter. Maybe try another battery, or a glitch buster cap.