Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race ready Losi Mini LST

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Race ready Losi Mini LST

hey guys this is my first thread and i hope i can get some help. i have just purchased a new team losi mini LST last week and i am thinking about getting into the racing scene. my truck is stock and i am not sure as to where to start to get my rc ready to race. i would be glad to get any advice on different ways to set up the rc, what upgrades to get first and where i can get a great deal on all of this. thanks to all of you guys let me know what you think!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Depending on your class a 8.4v gives the MLST 4-5 mph more top end and lots more torque. Don't replace anything until it goes out. The rear differential usually goes out first as they were later upgraded in the MLST2 & MLST2 LE. Again don't replace it until it goes out. My first real upgrade would be either a 8.4v battery or 2S lipo for more punch. The 2nd item would be to switch to a 2.4ghz radio whether by Losi or Traxxas. This will allow you to practice & race without worrying about radio frequencies jamming with the stock AM radio. Craigslist or the sell area on this website are a good start. Make sure if you buy from someone on this site they have a good seller rating otherwise you might get stiffed. Thetoyzdotcom is a great website for MLST parts. Have fun and keep your wheels on the ground!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the input! i will check those out for sure. is there anything that i should know if i want to get started racing? where should i start?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Stop by your local RC store(s) and check for posters by the front door for racing info. I would also suggest watching them 1-2 times before you race to make sure you understand the rules & how they run before you jump in feet first. Remember practice makes perfect so don't get discouraged if you come in last place a couple times. Ask tons of questions to the regulars and hopefullly they will provide some insight for you on how/what to chnage on car or racing style. Cheers!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for all the help! i will hopefully get into the scene without much problems!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I just got a used Mini LST today!
It is tons of fun! I don't have any racing around here, and I am busy with college, but the FIRST thing I had issues with was the stock servos. They seem SO bad!
I already stripped one of the gears in one of the servos, but it was fixable by turning the gear 180 degrees around, since it didn't rotate more than 270 degrees.
The first thing that I am going to try and do is either find a few decent metal gear servos that fits the stock mounting system, or try and convert to a single 1/10 servo.

Other than that, I havn't had any issues, and I ran about 6 packs (6-cell NiMh) through it today! It is lots of fun

I thought your username was "that LSD kid" lolol

another nifty thing that I did was switch the places of the electronics and the battery. It makes the battery 500% easier to change!
I already had a Flysky GT3B receiver ready to put in it, so the small receiver made it easier than it would be with the losi radio.
pics: I'm sure people have done this before, but I am new to the LST scene too, and I havn't seen it yet.
YES: The receiver is mounted upside-down. The plugs fit right through a hole in the chassis. That single fact made this whole thing possible.

Plugs through the bottom. That white zip-tie is one of two that are holding my antennae tube under the inside lip of the chassis bars. Even with the antennae way down there I still get essentially infinite range lol

Electronics tray, turned upside-down so the flanges point up. Poked a hole in the velcro, and threaded the rear pole into it to keep it steady.

Much easier!

I did all this AFTER my runs today, so I will have to see how the electronics heat up...

AND BY THE WAY:
This is the best $20 you can spend on ANY rc car.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-gt2-24ghz-radio-black.html
2.4GHz, new receivers only cost $7.
I have the upgraded version which is $35, and always out of stock, but I also have this one, and the range is INCREDIBLE. It is also VERY reliable! Plus you can do the nifty electronics/battery switch easily.

Last edited by User Unrelated; 03-29-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

thats a good idea! that battery is a pain in my ass. have you had trouble unplugging the battery from the car? i have and i cannot do it with my bare hands it is so tough to unplug. any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by That LST Kid
thats a good idea! that battery is a pain in my ass. have you had trouble unplugging the battery from the car? i have and i cannot do it with my bare hands it is so tough to unplug. any suggestions?
Deans plugs. The mini connectors are garbage.
For racing, you can also lower your CG by a ton if you run nun-chuck style packs. Get this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVTE6&P=7

slice it into to long 3 cell packs, put a 1.5 inch jumper on the backside where the bar was and then you can mount em between the two chassis plates on either side of the tranny. You can put the plug on 1 of two ways.
1) solder it on with the leads up through the main chassis.......this will allow for a nice neat setup, but you won't be able to pull the pack for charging......just charge it in the truck.
2) put a Micro Deans connector on the positive lead for the battery. Removing the center tranny skid plate will allow for easy battery removal.
Battery retainers are really not becessary if you place a few pieces of DS tape here and there on the cells.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have the Traxxas "high-current" connectors...
that's just what the truck came with when I bought it from the guy, which is GREAT because that's what my charger has too

I like the Traxxas plugs, but then again, I haven't had any experience with any other plugs besides the crudfest Tamiya plugs that were on my old Radio Shack Hurricane.

The only time I rolled it with the battery up top like that was when I was driving around on some concrete paths, and there was a small bank up to the side of the path. I caught it while turning, and the truck did a 90 degree flat-spin in the air, and landed on the two outside wheels... then it rolled...
and one of the tires broke
I'm waiting for the LST2 to come in so I can snag the tires and start running again! haha
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

That is smart I need to get some money before I can start. Do either of you know how muchthose parts go for? And speaking of tires... What would be the best on my mini lst for the track?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I am happy to get any advice at all when it comes to my mini lst. I just want it to be competitive if I was to race it off road. Any more suggestions??
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

is you local track carpet or dirt, this is info needed for setup help. tires will vary widley depending. shock set will too.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Rookie

My local track is a groomed dirt outdoor track