Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!

Here are some pics of my ducted fan motor mod. It was actually pretty easy. All I had to do was ream the motor mounting holes out a bit. Then cut off one of the clips and extra pole on the switch so that the motor could mount straight. After that it slid right in. This motor is awesome! It has twice or more torque as the stock motor and is just as fast if not faster. On my basement track, running on 4.8v, where before I would be lucky if the truck left the ground now the truck will double that jump to the next one! With the Largest pinion and smallest spur its almost as fast and it has more torque on 4.8v then it used to have on 7.4v . And on a full run at 7.4v the motor was less than 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not sure about the top end and how it compares to brushless because in the space I have i can't open it up all the way. But from what I've seen the thing screams. It is ridiculous. If I can find an area to open it up and see how fast it can go I will post again and let you know.
Here is a link the the exact motor I bought from great hobbies.
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=GWSEDF502
Make sure you get the same one or one that runs on the same voltage. Other motors may have the same toque but because they are made to run at a higher voltage will lack on top end. I hope this will help others break their truck as often as I will now. He he he he....
Attached Thumbnails Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-dscn4260.jpg   Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-dscn4256.jpg   Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-dscn4255.jpg   Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-dscn4258.jpg   Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-dscn4259.jpg  

Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Losi 1/24 motor mod

Can someone fix the (losi) in the title I didn't notice untill after I posted it and now I can't figure out how to fix it. Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Suspended

Had you stuck this in the preexisting 1/24 Losi thread, where it belongs, you would not have had to worry about messing up the title.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...-sc-truck.html
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

I did think about posting it in there but I thought because the mod would work for the rally as well it would be better to start a new thread. In fact this mod should work for any of the losi micros because they all use the same motor. As long as it will fit between the tires this motor is the best/cheapest upgrade I have found for these little guys.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Noyce modification! Tons of torque and speed, low temps...sounds like a winner

Glad to see the moderators got rid of Stunky B. Though these whiners typically return under a different name very quickly.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

me too, his attitude was very poor lol, but it is a nice mod
Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Great mod

I like this! I used an N60 motor from the tail of a helicopter, but it had lower rpm, whereas yours performs better all-around it seems. I'll definitely have to order that motor and give it a try!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

I got a chance to test the motor beside a stock sct on the weekend. What a difference. I had a 4.8v nimh battery and he had a 7.4 lipo and I was leaving him behind. Even with the lipo in the stock sct mine has more torgue on 4.8! On 7.4 the thing is nuts! The only problem I'm running into is I can't keep the pinions on the shaft. There's so much torque that even with crazy glue on the shaft eventually it spins it off. I'm hoping to find a brass pinion that fits or that eventually someone will come out with a metal one that has a grub screw.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Have you tried sanding or grinding the shaft to rough it up a bit? That may help in keeping the pinion on. My girlfriend's dad has a bunch of old slot car stuff, and I remember seeing some metal pinions about that size (maybe, I'll check). Definitely going to keep with this thread, as I love the SCT/Rally chassis and it has so much potential, but is pretty limited by its undersized motor.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

I have tried roughing up the shaft. It did help. But with 7.4 unless I loosen the slipper a lot the thing wheelies. Which eventually puts enough strain on the pinion to pop it loose. I'll get a full day out of it at least. It mostly depends on how I drive. If I bash it it doesn't last as long.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default micro crawler mod

I put the same motor in my losi micro crawler and it rocks! It runs like its on lipo and has way more torque for climbing. Its longer than the stock motor but it still allows full articulation It is a bit fast for a crawler but I can always gear it down if I need to. It was easier in the crawler than the sct. All I had to do was ream out the holes to mount the motor.
Attached Thumbnails Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-img_0228.jpg   Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-img_0229.jpg   Lsoi 1/24 sct ducted fan motor mod!-img_0236.jpg  
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

Use a piece or two of floss on the shaft, it keeps my Pinion on my brushless motor in mine
Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Try an N60 motor for a helicopter tail rotor in the crawler. It's the first motor I tried in the Micro SC. It's the same dimensions as your ducted fan motor, but about half the speed with more torque. The shaft is also larger in diameter (pinion holds tighter).
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

I don't seem to have a problem with the pinion gear on the crawler. Maybe because there isn't as much strain on it because of the slower speeds(and no jumping). I could gear it down to make it slower but the problem is not the top end speed. Its that it goes from a stop to full speed to quickly so its very twitchy and hard to crawl with. There isn't the adjustment necessary with the stock tx to ease the truck forward and backwards because the motor has too much torque. I suppose I could use a better radio but its really just a fun toy for me and my son right now. So I think I'm being over critical with its performance. Thanks for the advice with the dental floss I will try that the next time the pinion comes off.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

i never thought to look at this thread until now... this might be something im looking for.... i really had no desire to change out the the radio electronics so this seems to be a great option for more speed and torque... ,, i have both the rally and sct so this would be a cheap mod for both....

i wonder if it will work well with the team bluegroove carbon chassis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.