Losi 1/16 Mini SCT

Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

These things seem to cop a lot of crap on a few forums and I don't know why.Maybe because they are not 4wd, big deal. I picked one up the other day and have been having a ball driving it around the house . It is good that it is 1/16 as it is big enough to go over grass it even drives down the staircase in a bit of urban rockcrawling . I have had zero problems with mine so far . The thing even wheelies on carpet stock standard with nimh I have a couple of 7.4 v coming so can't wait to see it run with those. I will try and put some video up if I get a chance.

Last edited by ace955; 11-27-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Yea I was looking at it the other day I like it. It looks like fun to mess around with. Going to replace servo before I even drive it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Are there any better options for tires and or wheels for the dirt?

I've added weight to the rear of the truck (probably too much). Yet this thing remains to be extremely squirrely. Maybe a ball diff would help it out?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

i dont see why someone would get a 2wd sc truck when something like a 116 slash is out there. if you can show me a video of this outpreforming a 1/16th scale slash ill understand, but i would really be surprised to see that
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ClintonRC
i dont see why someone would get a 2wd sc truck when something like a 116 slash is out there. if you can show me a video of this outpreforming a 1/16th scale slash ill understand, but i would really be surprised to see that
Some of us prefer 2wd over 4x4. With your reasoning why would you even get a SC truck? When there are 4x4 buggies?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Rookie

I picked a losi SCT for a 8 year old. I have a slash 1/16, but he would absolutely kill it cause it's so fast.

Me and him both just bashing, and i've had to repair many broken parts on the slash. He hasn't broken anything on the Losi. I could only imagine if he had a slash.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2SiX
Some of us prefer 2wd over 4x4. With your reasoning why would you even get a SC truck? When there are 4x4 buggies?
a 2wd sct is setup more like a buggy than the 4x4 ones, isnt a real SCT 4wd?

i think what we need is a switchable transfer-case from the remote.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2SiX
Are there any better options for tires and or wheels for the dirt?

I've added weight to the rear of the truck (probably too much). Yet this thing remains to be extremely squirrely. Maybe a ball diff would help it out?
Best thing thing to do right now is glue Losi step pins over the stock sct tires. Improves rear traction dramatically. I would love J Concepts Goosebumps but don't see them making them any time soon. To small a market.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ClintonRC
a 2wd sct is setup more like a buggy than the 4x4 ones, isnt a real SCT 4wd?

i think what we need is a switchable transfer-case from the remote.
They have both classes in shortcourse racing. Pro 2, and Pro 4.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Can somebody tell me what the rear wheels mount to? I am guessing pin (instead of hex) and 3/16" axle? I wanna use these tires on a traxxas 1/16th but haven't found the specs on these killer wheels/tires.
thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default New owner rundown

First impression.
Just picked up my BND Mini SCT this week. Today was the first time I really had a chance to run it thoroughly. I really like it, it's a great little truck. Power and speed from the stock NiMH/BL setup was impressive. I'm waiting on my order of 2s lipos to come in so I stuck a 3s Thunder Power 1320 in it and wow! this thing moves out! I think I'll keep the 2s on hand for when the nephews want a turn at it. After 1 day of mostly pavement driving I'm starting the search for replacement tires. I cut off the stock ec2 connector and used Deans Ultra to standardize with my batteries and charger. I had an issue with the ec2 coming unplugged easily while operating the truck. I thought maybe I wasn't pushing them together all the way but with the force I was using, well I just went to Deans...anybody let me know if you want a stock charger, used once.

Been reading up on the truck and see mixed feelings about 2wd, 1/16th scale and I guess everybody hates the steering servo. This was an impulse buy for me while looking for a Losi micro sct/rally at the lhs. Some of the reasons I picked it were; The size, bigger and more capable than the micro sct and the ae 1/18 scale sct. The price, I liked the BND price and not having to pay for another tx that will just collect dust. I think Horizon needs all the vehicles to have bind and drive options. This thing looks cool and that's what really counts. Right?

Steering servo tutorial, how I did it.
Just messing with the truck in the house and the front yard after work I decided I needed a new steering servo. My servo did not break but it is terribly slow and seemed a little weak. I had a spare HS65 from one of my planes so I used that, I love this little powerhouse of a servo. I saw a post from seabass17 about using the ae rc18t servo saver for Hitec as a drop in solution so that's what I did. The stock Losi ball joint screwed into the ae arm and everything bolted/snapped right up. There are 2 holes on the ae arm, I used the closer hole because the farther hole gave too much throw and had to be dialed down, this way I get more useable torque from mechanical advantage and can still get max throw. The 65 was not a complete drop in fit, it took a little massaging to get it to fit but nothing too crazy. The 65 is 2 hairs wider than stock so I filed out the servo hole ever so slightly into the screw posts and filed a notch so the servo wire would fit through. I also had to trim the rubber grommet off of the servo case around the wire so the servo could slide in straight because it won't fit in at an angle. All of 10 minutes were spent on this upgrade (took longer to write this) and now the truck has sharp steering and a strong servo. I tossed the stocker in the tool box for a spare and if I ever need it in a pinch the swap should take 30 seconds.

Summary
The truck is living up to my expectations and will get a true torture test next weekend when said nephews get their hands on it. It's fast and fun and I'm already looking at the hopup page because I can't leave well enough alone. I'm with a few others looking for replacement tires, I see stock ones are an option but I'm probably going to need something harder.

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 05-22-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

IH8VTECH thanks for your review. I have a BND min sct in the mail right now. Should be here monday or tuesday and i cant wait to get it. I think im gonna stick with the HS55 servo, i read a lot of guys are using that one and its a direct fit from what i believe. So i think this being my first short course truck i think i made a good choice. Thanks man.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DareDiver
IH8VTECH thanks for your review. I have a BND min sct in the mail right now. Should be here monday or tuesday and i cant wait to get it. I think im gonna stick with the HS55 servo, i read a lot of guys are using that one and its a direct fit from what i believe. So i think this being my first short course truck i think i made a good choice. Thanks man.
That should be good. Losi makes an HS55 servo saver for the SCT, picked one up thinking it would fit the 65. I test fit the 55, straight bolt up, no problems.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Here are some pictures of my SCT.

the red is where I removed some material so the servo would fit. the notch is so the servo wire could fit through. I used a hobby file.

Thunder Power 1320 3S fits in the stock compartment, no need to use the tall batt cover. the tall cover adds about 7mm.

here you can see how I removed the rubber grommet from around the servo wire, this allowed the servo to slide in easier. I carefully used a sharp xacto knife. you can also see the notch I filed.

the hs65 all bolted up in the stock location. minor mods necessary, major performance boost.

here is the rc18t servo saver, bolt on application, no muss no fuss...or something like that.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Great pics man. How much did you pay for the HS-55 and the 65, if you dont mind me asking. My local hobby store has the hs55 for 13 bucks and the 65 was i think 33 or something like that. My mini sct should be in tomorrow, and man i cant wait. have a good night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.