Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing Lipos: What do you use in yours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Racing Lipos: What do you use in yours?

For those with especially Xray, though similar cars/layouts welcome to pipe in. What particular lipos do you use...

To Race.

Please limit it to racing batteries versus bashing batteries. If you use different sizes for on and off road, note that as well.

I know this is also dependent on where in the world you are for whats available.

Me in example:
M18: Trakpower 1325
M18T: Trakpower 1600

Separate Question: Do you think hardcase are the future, and will we be regulated to one size?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Team Scream Hard Case 1/18th scale 1800mah lipos is what I use in everything
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
For those with especially Xray, though similar cars/layouts welcome to pipe in. What particular lipos do you use...

To Race.

Please limit it to racing batteries versus bashing batteries. If you use different sizes for on and off road, note that as well.

I know this is also dependent on where in the world you are for whats available.

Me in example:
M18: Trakpower 1325
M18T: Trakpower 1600

Separate Question: Do you think hardcase are the future, and will we be regulated to one size?
For the M18, I have been using the Team Psycho Cells 1150. For the upcoming season, we will have a 1350 pack that retains the same dimensions You simply cant beat the performance of this pack. TQ & Win for every Nats & ECC 1/18th open class since '08. It is very consistent during the discharge curve, meaning that laptimes dont drop off throughout the run.

On your other question, IMO unless micro racing becomes sanctioned a la ROAR or some other way, no they will not be.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am not sure what you mean by "race" vs "bashing" batteries, except that I typically run just enough capacity to finish a race as compared to extra capacity for bashing. On that note, my local mini track runs 30 minute mains for mod class, so I use higher mah packs than most true "racers". The Rhino 1750mah packs have not let me down in a few years of competition.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by burnineyes
I am not sure what you mean by "race" vs "bashing" batteries, except that I typically run just enough capacity to finish a race as compared to extra capacity for bashing. On that note, my local mini track runs 30 minute mains for mod class, so I use higher mah packs than most true "racers". The Rhino 1750mah packs have not let me down in a few years of competition.
There are many different qualities of batteries out there. Some, like say Venom, are cheaper, but in a racing environment you will notice a difference in punch, and how the pack performs throughout the run. Lesser quality packs will not have as much punch, and they will get noticeably slower during the course of a run. A higher quality pack will have more rip, and stay stronger during your run.

And while im talking about rip, C rating does not determine rip. Its all about internal resistance
Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
There are many different qualities of batteries out there. Some, like say Venom, are cheaper, but in a racing environment you will notice a difference in punch, and how the pack performs throughout the run. Lesser quality packs will not have as much punch, and they will get noticeably slower during the course of a run. A higher quality pack will have more rip, and stay stronger during your run.

And while im talking about rip, C rating does not determine rip. Its all about internal resistance
As said, but also burningeyes. Most times, lower mah to just make a race are cheaper, smaller, and weigh less. All of benefit to the racer. Bashers want to run as long as possible, so will use the absolute largest pack they can afford. C and internal resistance are less a factor in the purchase.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
As said, but also burningeyes. Most times, lower mah to just make a race are cheaper, smaller, and weigh less. All of benefit to the racer. Bashers want to run as long as possible, so will use the absolute largest pack they can afford. C and internal resistance are less a factor in the purchase.
Im using Rhino(zippy) 1050 2 cell packs w a 40c rating. They are working real well and have a 5c charging capacity. I haent tried charging at 5 amps yet but I have been doing 3. The packs are inexpensive as well $13 w shipping. I use them in my RC18, Vendetta, Slash and Mini Deep V.....

BTW I saw Daves packs from Team Scream.....If we have to use a hard case lipo that is definitely the way to go......
Old 05-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A higher C rating will yield a lower resistance.....Ohms Law
Two lipos w the same C rating the better quality pack will have a lower
resistance.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Racing: In my Shark, Hyperion 1100mah 35C 2S packs.

Bashing: In my 1/16 Revo, 2 Hyperion 1600mah 35C 2S packs in parallel.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the Lipo lessons guys
I should have been more specific, I guess I was trying to be slick since I use cheap lipos myself. But I do understand how lower internal resistance provides better performance.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
A higher C rating will yield a lower resistance.....Ohms Law
Two lipos w the same C rating the better quality pack will have a lower
resistance.
While the normal trend is for lower IR with a higher C rating, that is not necessarily the case all the time. I have seen with some of the packs Tim has looked at carrying, sometimes a lower C rated pack has a better IR (all from the same supplier).

Mini_Me, you dont want to pick the smallest pack that will make runtime, you want a pack that performs the same throughout the discharge curve. This is why in 1/10 everyone runs 5000+mah packs, even in 17.5 where you only need about 1/2 that to make runtime. All that extra runtime keeps the pack in the higher voltage part of the discharge curve, so the pack doesnt fall off as much during the run. Also, especially with running an M18 (particuarly on carpet), weight is not an issue, as we are adding 60+ grams to the cars anyway for better handling characteristics.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Mini_Me, you dont want to pick the smallest pack that will make runtime, you want a pack that performs the same throughout the discharge curve. This is why in 1/10 everyone runs 5000+mah packs, even in 17.5 where you only need about 1/2 that to make runtime. All that extra runtime keeps the pack in the higher voltage part of the discharge curve, so the pack doesnt fall off as much during the run. Also, especially with running an M18 (particuarly on carpet), weight is not an issue, as we are adding 60+ grams to the cars anyway for better handling characteristics.

Sorry, I was implying that. The main point being that you don't need a higher mah with a onroad versus a offroad to get that consistency since the power draw is lower.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

I use Dualsky GTS 2s 1700mah 35C lipos in all my minis.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Please keep them coming. Even if you use the same type as someone else here already posted.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Giving one last push on this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.