Wiki Posts
Search

My new Caster Racing F18T

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default My new Caster Racing F18T

Just thought I'd post some pics. This thing will hopefully get me to the track and get some real driving in. The parking lot is only so much fun. It seems to handle well and really soaks up bumpy terrain. Planning on getting a lipo/nimh/nicd charger to try some lipo action on it. It seems it should handle a 3S 2200mah 20c, so we'll see how fast it goes. It's pretty quick with the supplied 1100 nimh, I'd say mid to upper 20's range. It's a cheap AM radio, but does have adjustments, most have none that I've seen. Really digging having brakes. My MQ with the RTR junk radio did not (esc is now in the trash). What a difference that makes. The triangular cover on the bottom let me get in and remove a small pebble that already lodged itself on the spur gear. At least it does have a pinion/spur gear cover up top.
Attached Thumbnails My new Caster Racing F18T-caster7.jpg   My new Caster Racing F18T-caster8.jpg   My new Caster Racing F18T-caster1.jpg   My new Caster Racing F18T-caster3.jpg   My new Caster Racing F18T-caster4.jpg  

Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

More pics. I'm no pro either. (duh).
Attached Thumbnails My new Caster Racing F18T-caster5.jpg   My new Caster Racing F18T-caster6.jpg   My new Caster Racing F18T-caster9.jpg  
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Buggy looks really good. Where can we see the physical dimensions of it? Any chance you can measure the wheelbase and width?

The Caster Racng website is quite poor. Wish they would do a better job of the site so we can see the products better!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If you click the zoom button, you can get more pics, but agreed, it needs more info. Let us know how you like it? looking at getting a back into minis, also considering the SC18/T2/B2

Originally Posted by frogger
Buggy looks really good. Where can we see the physical dimensions of it? Any chance you can measure the wheelbase and width?

The Caster Racng website is quite poor. Wish they would do a better job of the site so we can see the products better!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, I agree, their site doesn't tell much. Dimensions are: 176MM wheelbase measured axle to axle. 120mm between wheels. Right at 175mm wide measuring from outsides of stock tires. 225mm overall length from front edge to rear edge of chassis. I have only ran it around the parking area behind my townhome and up the dirt/grass between my TH and the building next door. It handles that rough stuff quite well. I would say the tires don't help it any. Maybe Mike wants to add someone to his roll........
Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sounds more like an F15T
Old 05-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Got one of these second hand (rtr) last saturday after some reading here and on the caster forum, and must say it runs quite hard out of the box, after about 10 battery's i took it apart, cleaned it, trimmed it out, greased the ballbearings, took it out for one last run last night...and that indeed was it's last run for now. Crashed it into concrete at top speed, chassis broke just behind front wheels

now looking into a pro conversion, but i've seen already it takes more that the alu chassis, you have to buy some other parts too.

Still, for the money this thing is extremely fast, only downside is the tyres, they aren't sufficient for on-road, especially not at top speeds

I've seen that the caster guys do listen to their community and do upgrades, they've made 1:10 wheel adapters and such because of the demand. I cant say i dislike the site, the forum has some interesting topic, i just think that the 1-18th class is a little under-appreciated...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default re-Caster

First, I must say that if you got the rtr version running well, then just buy a replacement rtr chassis. My son has both versions, rtr and pro. I found that the servo that is supplied is junk and the shocks are too large for the vehicle giving it a bouncy ride like a turbo-hopper. The pro version is just pretty, but we could not get it to run smoothly. I almost bought the pro version when I first saw it but luckily chose to wait and see how it worked first. We were runnning micro's on a 1/10th scale indoor track and stayed with our trusty Vendetta ST's. It looks like someone spent a lot of time adjusting your rtr, so if you are happy with it then just buy the parts to repair it.
regards
Philip