Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Convert RC18T (or any mini) from 4WD to 2WD? >

Convert RC18T (or any mini) from 4WD to 2WD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert RC18T (or any mini) from 4WD to 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Convert RC18T (or any mini) from 4WD to 2WD?

I am thinking of converting my RC18T to 2WD for some added speed. If I plan on just dirt track racing and road racing(no bashing), wouldn't a 2WD vehicle make more sense?

I am thinking there would be two ways for the 18T.

temporary solution
1. remove the front diff, dogbones. Let the front wheels spin freely.

more permanent solution
2. cut the drive shaft down at the back diff. This allows the bearing and gear to remain on the shaft...but the shaft does not have to drive anything up front.

Adding a bit of weight up front might be needed? Along with slotted front wheels.

I would think this would add a good amount of torque to the back wheels, higher top speed and a bit more control off jumps? Perhaps even more control while cornering.

What do you think?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I tried this 2 different ways once, just to experiment. First I cut the driveshaft and removed the diff up front. Then I bolted a Mini-T transmission to the rear end to try a rear motor setup. Honestly I could have done more tuning and perfected the setups better, but I quickly got spanked by the 4wd guys at the track and gave up on it. I did notice the turn-in was much better, but I imagine a front one-way would do the same for a 4wd. Acceleration was worse, since I was lacking traction, and top speed didn't "feel" any different. I don't race a track with jumps for 18th scale, but remember that your wheels momentum while in the air are what gives you good control. 4wd is almost always easier to level out while airborne, since all 4 tires help to shift the weight around. All of this seems like I am trying to discourage you, but it could be beneficial on some tracks, just not on mine.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Initiate

You are probably right. I suppose the only advantage 2wd would have would be straightaway speed in a parking lot due to more efficient use of the motors power.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Or just build a mid car...mine worked awsome and was a dream to push and drive... AE rear end with TEK18X tranny, and Mini-T front

Rubber tires..

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thomas P
Or just build a mid car...mine worked awsome and was a dream to push and drive... AE rear end with TEK18X tranny, and Mini-T front

Rubber tires..

That is SICK!!! Nice work!