Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommendation for a mini-size

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default recommendation for a mini-size

any new mini's coming out soon? I like the m18 but I know it's not the newest platform and i would like to buy new and before hopping on I would like to know if anything new is on the horizon. I really liked the the hpi mrs4 but that's discontinued. basically i want a basher that i can buy all the hopups for and admire it on my desk when not in use.

Last edited by alfredoR23; 03-22-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

bump for an edit and I didn't want to start a new thread
Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm hardly the expert, but I'm in the market for a 4WD 1/18 vehicle myself.

One thing I do know from experience is do not go with anything smaller than 1/18, save a 1/24 rock crawler from Losi. I had two Losi Micro Desert Trucks, and sure they were cute and zippy. BUT...in order to get them up to par for racing or having any sense of good steering control and durability you have to spend at least another $100 on them. And their resale value is cut in half the second you buy it.

Otherwise, you really need to decide how and where you want to run your vehicle. If you want to go outdoors in all weather conditions, then there is no other choice except Traxxas e-revo or slash mini.

That's what they are designed for, and the extra size (1/16) allows for greater ground clearance.

That said, I'm personally interested in the Team Associated SC18 because I'm into the short course truck style. And, I plan to race it indoors mostly (I have two sets of RCP track), and occasionally outdoors on hard dirt or asphalt with appropriately sized bumps and jumps. Probably use the RC18T extra long shocks to increase the ground clearance some as well.

Other than that, there are a lot of options in the Truggy and Buggy class for 1/18. Just visit http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...s-Minis-Micros and check out their selection. Or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-c.html

And finally, check out a lot of the posts on here. There's a boat load of info.

Xray - I own a stock M18. Lot of fun, but if I had to do it again, I'd get the pro version. I suspect that would be best if you go with the M18T Pro as well. They do make a well built RC, but parts are not easy to come by save via online stores.

There's a noob's opinion.

All the best.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Great post. When I got out of the hobby about 5 - 6 years ago the hpi micro was in its prime and I always wanted one just to tinker with it. It looks like if I want to get into a build-it-yourself at 1:18 it appears it will have to be some kind of truck or buggy? I really want something that I can build myself and add a hopup every now and then just to give me an excuse to take it apart.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If either one of ya'll want a mini SCT.....go with the Vendetta or slash.
The SC18 has about 1/4" of ground clearance, if that much and the shock travel is not all that much.
For carpet, the SC18 might be a good choice, but if you plan on any real world running....it'll bottom out, drag and make for an all around not so pleasant driving experience.

Last edited by Dieselpower; 03-23-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Hmmm. What about the rc18t2/b2 kit? Not many reviews or impressions yet.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I, personally, think that the idea of belts in a mini is un-necessary. If I were you, I'd wait for the T2/B2 to come out, then the price on the gen 1 18Ts will tank so you'll be able to get a shaft drive version very cheap.

I understand why they did it.....to eliminate torque steer and to acheive an over-all smoother drivetrain, but it seems to have more variables then what I normally like in my rides.

If you really want something to bash right out of the box without worrying about it........get a mini revo.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
If either one of ya'll want a mini SCT.....go with the Vendetta or slash.
The SC18 has about 1/14" of ground clearance, if that much and the shock travel is not all that much.
For carpet, the SC18 might be a good choice, but if you plan on any real world running....it'll bottom out, drag and make for an all around not so pleasant driving experience.
Good points Dieselpower. I've been agonizing about the options as I love my 2wd Slash. But I also want to race indoors on a smaller track. The mini Slash seems to be a bit too big for an indoor track that is less than say 30 x 24.

Mini Slash - 8.1 inches (206mm) wheelbase, 185 mm (7.3 inches) wide,
Duratrax SC - 168 mm (6.6 inches) wheelbase, 168 mm (6.6 inches) wide
SC18 - 6.5 in (166mm) wheelbase, 143 mm (5.6 inches) wide

Associated appears to have rolled out a line that is cross compatible with parts being that the chassis is the same for the SC18, RC18T/B2. Exotek offers some awesome chassis upgrades as well for the AE line (thought not the sc18 yet).

So yeah, I'm really waffling between the 3 SCTs. Duratrax seems to be in the middle with no where to go though. Slash offers all weather bashing with larger chassis making it more stable for outdoors. The SC18 is small enough to run on a smaller track, and can be modified heavily with other AE vehicles, and it's size places it squarely in the majority of other 1/18 vehicles.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

and out of The options out there, which is available as kit and will have many option parts? Being able to tune, upgrade and put new parts is a big selling point For me. It's looking like either the sc18 or rc18t2b2 the latter being better at outdoor tracks? Everything else looks like an rtr?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Although the mini e-revos come out of the box ready to run, there are a ton of hopups for it to turn it from an all weather bash truck, to the most intense all racing truck. All you need is the optional center diff, the appropriate tires, lipos, and a few suspension changes, and it's a phenomenal choice.

I only preach about the 1/16 e-revo because it really is the best in its class, and I hear too many people complain that the 1/18 scales just dont work on the outdoor tracks, they're too light and too small to handle even the smallest bumps in the track.

The 1/16 e-revo also is really nice on the carpet. The stock tires and upgraded center diff is all you need to have a good time on the carpet tracks. It's just such a fast machine that you could really use it for anything with such minor setup changes.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

what about on road options in the spirit of m18/micro rs4? or is 1/18 tc dying out?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

the 1/14 recoil looks real nice. Haven't had one personally, but i am looking into getting one.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds to me like plain old AE's 18T may be your ticket. Its got the most hop-up parts avail by far and is very versatile. It can be set-up as a racer or basher. Since you like bashing, a few weeks ago i probably would've leaned towards an eRevo, but then i witnessed one break quite easily (indoor track, hit 2x4 perimeter). The guy bought new part since track is also LHS (hard 2x4's, $, hmmm), but it wasn't nearly as quick and easy a change-out as my 18T's. IMHO, it's a bit overly complex w/ all the suspension belcranks, pushrods, etc. for my taste. Also, eRevo is twice the weight as an 18T, so there's many many times more force present for a given crash. To me, eRevo seems too big to even be in the mini class. I think unless you need the waterproofing of an eRevo, go with AE 18 series or m18.
...my $0.02 anyhow.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

I disagree. I love my mini e-revo, it has so many options to upgrade it, you could put a 1/10th scale motor and speedo in it even. And as far as it breaking. I had mine ran over completely by a car and all that needed to be replaced was the front rocker arms.

Also anyone with any wrenching experience would tell you it was a really easy car to work on. I mean maybe because all I work on other than my e-revo is my 1/8th scale buggy and truggy, but the e-revo is way easier and more enjoyable to work on.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by alfredoR23
what about on road options in the spirit of m18/micro rs4? or is 1/18 tc dying out?
m18's are still around and still have decent parts support.

You should also check out the duratrax vendetta tc as well. It will probably make a better basher since it rides a little higher and the drive train is covered. Options parts are mostly sold through the duratrax brand and a few other 3rd party vendors.

The recoil was actually a pretty decent car. But I would not buy them anymore because they are discontinued and parts may become hard to come by in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.