Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/18th scale, HELP NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New to 1/18th scale, HELP NEEDED!!

hello guys,

my name is ALi and am from Kuwait, am not new to the hobby at all but am new to 1/18th scale and electric too
our offroad/onroad Nitro season stops in april and we start back again in september because of the heat, i dont want to stop having fun so i thought about starting the 1/18th scale and build a carpet track in a friends basment. the space is around 45 feet by 24 feet. is that enough??
i'm thinking about buying an Xray M18 but not sure if should get the RTR or the Pro. knowing that even if i buy the RTR one, i aint gonna use the TX that comes with it since i have my M11x and the KO Helios.
i have no idea what motor i need or what RX pack i should use. i never raced electric so all those 8000KV, 6800KV motors batteries with 25, 40C dont make any sense to me

i need your advices, opinions on what to get?? not interested in any other manufacturer so please lets talk Xray, either the M18 or the Pro and what motor, ESC and battery i should get.

whats the run time with a 7.2V lipo compared to a NIHM battery
how fast do they go?? stock (M18 RTR) and the pro with brushless and lipos??

cheers

Ali

Last edited by KWT-NITRO; 03-13-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Do not get the RTR. It is equipped with inferior electronics and a useless 180 motor. Go for the pro and get one of the castle esc motor combos. I had a 34' X 19' track in my store and it was not a bad size for 1/18. The best servo I have found is the JR DS287mg. Run time with a 1350 mah 7.4v LiPo and one of the bl motors will be in the 10 minute or more range. Tekin seems to have gotten the bugs out of there Mini Rage system, so that is a viable alternative to the Castle.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

btw, the brushless/LiPo M18 will be quicker than your Nitro Sedan! Great to keep your skills sharp.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Hello there,

thanks for the answers man

man how is it possible to drive such a fast car in such a small track??!!

i was going through amain and couldnt understand when you look at motor/esc combos, numbers appear like 4200,6000,8000KV, what is that?? the higher the number = higher RPM = faster???

speed passion or castle creation is better?? am new to electric so i need something very easy to use and reliable.

also can you direct me please to a link for a good lipo battery?? the one that fits the M18?? is it possible to run BL motors with NIMH?? am just asking because NIMH are cheaper where you can buy alot and keep on running one after one

i definitly believe that 1/18 will even improve my driving skills since the reaction time needed is way faster than 1/10 touring or 1/8 buggy.

cheers
Ali
Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
man how is it possible to drive such a fast car in such a small track??!!

i definitly believe that 1/18 will even improve my driving skills since the reaction time needed is way faster than 1/10 touring or 1/8 buggy.
set up and practice......
1/18th scale racing/practicing will improve your skills.
In 1/18th scale racing the stock class runs 5 cells nimh (6 v) and a 4200kv brushless motor.
My thinking you should get a 4200kv and run a 2 cell lipo (7.4v) or a 5400kv.
Anything bigger maybe a handful. Guys will tell you to get a bigger motor and you can dial out top end w your tx but that will create unwanted heat. The best way to slow down is to change your gearing.
Along w the lipo you want a decent lipo charger. Most Lipo chargers need a 12v power supply as well.
Team Scream sells a drop in lipo for the M18.
Your looking at a $400-$500 investment for a lipo prepped M-18. car/esc/motor/lipos/charger/ps
Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the answers,

i do have a Lipo charger (Hyperion one) i use it for my starter box battery and also my life battery.

i dont want to set speed records, i wanna drive something fast and fun around the track. my driving skills are good since i run 1/10 touring, 1/8 onroad and 1/8 buggy for quiet a long time. i dont see why i shouldnt be able to drive 1/18th scale.

looking at the combos at amain, i saw castle creations and speed passion and not sure which one of the 2 manufacturer is better, as i said before i wanna have something easy to use since am new to electric.

gotta check the battery you mentioned and i also saw this battery at amain,
is it possible to use this one in the m18 ??

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ck-74V-2200mAh

cheers

Ali
Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

you mean this one?
http://teamscreamracing.com/product.php?id=407
Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure how long that battery is, but looks like it might not allow for anything else to be placed on that side of the chassis. The Thunder Power lets you put either the esc or rx in front of the battery. Very important to NOT stack stuff up.
I only run mod/open classes. I run either the Mamba 8000 or the Dynamite C4 9200. Even on smaller tracks. All I do is calibrate the speedo with endpoints set at 100% then back off to the max I can handle on a given track. There is no reason to buy different motors for different tracks. The C4 has more grunt than the Mamba 8k too. The rpm is so high, I usually do not have to change anything but end-point for bigger tracks.

Last edited by duneland; 03-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Ali, my experience is pretty similar to yours. I ran 1/8 buggy for many years, then got into 1/8 on-road. Hve raced most other classes too. Have been running the micros since before the M18 came out, and had a store/track when they were introduced. I got my first batch from the first shipment to the USA.
As I am sure you have found out, the KV rating is in reference to the RPM per volt. I believe it is somewhat of a misnomer as the "k" likely means "thousand". So a 8000 kv motor should really be refered to as a 8KV motor. I have seen some labeled that way, but suspect marketing people got involved. When that happens, accuracy goes out the window.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

thanks for the info man, well i do see your point about calibrating the speedo with the TX end point but i have to put my hand on a car and do it in real life to fully understand the idea. i think its better to have one motor for different tracks rather than buying two or three motors for different tracks, its like playing with your manifold and pipe in nitro engines depending on the size of the track.

thanks alot for the great info.

cheers
ALi
Old 03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

hey guys,

just wanted to let you know that i just bought my M18 Pro
got a good deal on a used one and cant wait to recieve it.

cheers
Ali
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with Bermbuster, you should ideally use 100% Th setting and gear the car for the track. Using too high a kV motor and reducing using <80% Th., is a no-no for all RC. Gear low and let her wind-up. Do the work with volts as much as possible rather than amps is best. ... $.02