Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

that's not an 18r, that's 5% of an 18r clean ride though
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
Who wants to order parts for their cars online all of the time? Sometimes parts actually break on the track.
Thats why you need to convince your track to carry parts for the vehicles you use. Your also under the assumption that a track will be unwilling to work with their racers.

M18s to new 18Rs running at your track. It takes time to dial in a car. Arriving and driving just doesn't cut it.
This is true, but again, this is apples to oranges. The 18R is not meant to run with the M18's. It needs its own class. It also is potentially more costly to run them together because of the excess money needed to change a rally into a pure road screamer.

Speaking of parts durability, I broke a hub on my M18 without even driving it. It dropped from a table and when I went to check the car over before I ran it, the hub was broken. There is no way that you can compare a M18 to the 18R and claim that it is more durable because this is just not true.
You taking a car without a body, that you dropped unto the floor (carpet? concrete?) and using that as the basis to say the M18 is less durable?

I doubt that the laptimes will differ much but I can't wait to see which car will be faster on the rug with two properly setup cars.
This has already been done. Take a look at the laps for the Madness Nationals. They are in different classes, but they both run the same amount of minutes.

I admit, I am biased, as you are as well. However, the results speak for themselves.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
Thats why you need to convince your track to carry parts for the vehicles you use. Your also under the assumption that a track will be unwilling to work with their racers.
Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. The M18 is under very little demand here on the West Coast.

This is true, but again, this is apples to oranges. The 18R is not meant to run with the M18's. It needs its own class. It also is potentially more costly to run them together because of the excess money needed to change a rally into a pure road screamer.
If the 18R were sold as a kit like the M18 Pro, it would probably cost between $90 and $100. Take a 18R, throw on a Exotek chassis for the rug, some steel turnbuckles, foams and tuning and you can be race ready for a little more than the M18 pro. You can then turn around and race your 18R outside on the asphalt.

You taking a car without a body, that you dropped unto the floor (carpet? concrete?) and using that as the basis to say the M18 is less durable?
Right, the car without body and fell on my foot prior to contacting the floor. I also owned a M18 a few years ago for about a year so I have experience with the car. I have never broken a single part on my 18R and can attest to its durability not only in my own hands but in the hands of others (Novices).

This has already been done. Take a look at the laps for the Madness Nationals. They are in different classes, but they both run the same amount of minutes.
Was this done with the same driver and both cars or different drivers? I am really itching to get these two cars going on the rug. I will have a full day for testing pretty soon, should be interesting.

We also do not have large enough classes for the M18 to run separately. I would more than welcome M18s to race with the 18Rs here.

I admit, I am biased, as you are as well. However, the results speak for themselves.
I own both cars and I see way too many people knocking the 18R. The 18R is a very capable car with actual working suspension. The car can also be raced at the same tracks that I race my 1/10th. At the very least, the 18R is the more versatile car of the two.

Last edited by IIGQ4U; 06-18-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
I own both cars and I see way too many people knocking the 18R.
no mr GQ you don't have an 18r you have basically a custom built because there is not much 18r left in it

that's like taking a nascar with a toyota camry body and calling it a camry

or like calling my dodge with ford axles a ford
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Lol, it's not like I am using one off parts. It's a modified 18R. I have a M18 Pro with Exotek chassis but I am still running a M18.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

well you get my point
Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

I understand what you are trying to say, however, I do not agree.

The car is more a 18R than a M18.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, I know that you guys are passionate about your M18’s and 18R’s, as am I, but this thread has gotten a little out of hand. This thread started out as a guy trying to figure out what car would be better suited for his situation. Has anyone in this thread actually taken the time to truly find out what would be best for him. As far as the guys bashing the M18, maybe his local track, races a lot of M18’s and parts availability in not an issue. As far as the guys bashing the 18R’s maybe he plans on racing outdoor asphalt or only plans on running in the streets. As I stated before, both cars when properly setup are extremely capable cars. It really boils down to personal preference; I just don’t know why you all are taking this thread so personal. But I am now going to put this debate to rest. Last year at the 1/18th Micro Nationals, TQ for Open Micro Touring (M18) was 28 laps at 5.01 turning a fastest lap of 10.233. TQ for the Open 18R class was 28 laps at 5.05 with the fastest lap of 10.548. This was at Nationals people, where it brings out some of the best drivers around, and the lap times and results were very close. Like I said, both cars when setup properly are very capable. Nationals are raced on carpet, so the M18 had a slight advantage, if they were run on smooth asphalt it might be the 18R with the advantage. As far as durability, I have been racing Micro a long time and both cars have their weak points. What I don’t understand is why these two cars keep being compared to each other in the first place. They are truly two different classes. As far as the guy that started this thread, as I had stated before, if you plan on racing, choose what car will give you the best competition. If you are just running the streets, than I would get the 18R, as the M18 is a pure, true to scale racer only. I'm sorry if this upsets anyone as that is not my intention, as I am trying to argue for both sides.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

I have already answered the OP's questions and have spoken with him personally at the track.

One race does not unequivocally determine which car is faster. I will be conducting a more controlled experiment to see which car I can drive faster and more consistently around our carpet track in Huntington Beach California and will be posting my findings. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Look, I know you are passionate about your 18R that is why I picked you up for a ride, and I know that for some reason you still want to compare the 18R and the M18, but I am sorry to tell you, but you are not conducting a controlled experiment. I am a science major, and you cannot conduct a controlled experiment with only one test subject (you). You are by far a talented 18R driver, but unless you have been racing the M18 (which you have not) as long as you have your 18R, you automatically bias your experiment. A good experiment will have multiple test subjects, all of which gives both variables (M18 and 18R) equal opportunity for success. Again, the two cars have proven they are both very competitive. I know you want to prove that the 18R can compete, and it does. I agree with you. I just don't know what more you are trying to prove. If it is because you feel that the 18R does not get respect from the M18 drivers than I do understand that because I don't think the 18R gets enough respect...Yet.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

It is more controlled being that I don't need to worry about traffic or running into anybody else while I am driving on the track. Ideally you would want multiple individuals to test both cars. As I stated before, I am going to run the two cars once I feel they are up to my standards. I am not going to race a hooked up 18R against a M18 that isn't working, nor would I race the M18 against the 18R if it isn't performing optimally. As I stated before, once I have the cars dialed in, I am going to begin to run them on the clock for five minutes at a time and check the times. I can also record multiple runs as well. I want to see for myself which car I can get to run faster around the track. As mentioned previously, your mileage may vary.

I will have a very good time running these two cars regardless of which is faster.

You are right, the two cars really shouldn't be compared to one another. The RC18R is much heavier than the M18. My 18R weighs 18 ounces without the body and my M18 only weighs under 12.

I am going to have fun with this. I need to start running my M18 if I am going to make it out east!

BTW, I am not upset and have really enjoyed this thread. I really love the discussions.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

This thread has been fun to read
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Psycho Man
Last year at the 1/18th Micro Nationals, TQ for Open Micro Touring (M18) was 28 laps at 5.01 turning a fastest lap of 10.233.
Tim,

C'mon man, you're shorting me a lap! Mod TQ was 29 laps! Although, it was just barely 29 laps (29 in 5:10 or 5:09)

Can't remember what the hotlap was tho . . .

Old 06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Oh crap, you're right! I typed it wrong. Sorry Rob. I guess the point I was still trying to make was that both cars can perform well.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I love my 18r so far. Running mostly dirt road have not broke anything yet.