Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC 18R Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC 18R Advice Needed

I run a Mamba 8000kv with a 10 cell NiMh setup at the moment. My 3s lipo is on the way. I've run the car 3 times and literally welded the rear diff. together this afternoon. I had to cut the metal washers out of the outdrives as they had become one. Rad.

I also blew out a tire in 3 runs and sent the inner foam everywhere. More rad sauce.

What are the advantages to the MIP one way?

Does the GPM Delrin Diff setup hold up to abuse, or should I go with MIP?

What are the advantages to the MIP spool?

Are foams the best bet for tires in my case?

I don't race and just want to have ludicrous speed. So I need to bulletproof the drive train and get some new shoes that will take the abuse. Any recommendations from people who have been down this road are welcome!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

after my experience with the titanium differentials, I would go with NOTHING but steel.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Lol, Yes, you can try the MIP differential outdrives. They will definitely hold up to more abuse.

I have seen people run 8000Kv systems with rubber tires. Are you sure that your tires were properly glued?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

+1 on steel diff's. I had the Ti ones in and got one race day with a 4200 CC motor before the outdrives were notched. Total junk in my opion.

John
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
Lol, Yes, you can try the MIP differential outdrives. They will definitely hold up to more abuse.

I have seen people run 8000Kv systems with rubber tires. Are you sure that your tires were properly glued?
Yeah the tires were glued properly. They were the 3-Racing ones, which aren't nearly as stable as the AE ones. They balloon out pretty bad. I may have better luck with the factory rubber. I burned through a fresh set of the 3-Racing rubber in 3 battery packs .
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With the weight of 10 cells and the power of 3S Lipo, you are going to have to have the steel diffs. The GPM delrin would be a bit better than stock, but it would fail sooner than you would like.
The front one way allows the front wheels to freewheel when not under power, this gives a much better feeling of turning more like a 2wd, but then as soon as you are back in the throttle you get your 4wd traction.
When you need all the extra strength you can get, the spool will be one less part you have to worry about breaking. On a racetrack you may not like it how it handles, but youll likely not notice when doing 60MPH bashing.
I personally don't like foam tires, but I have not found a rubber tire for these that can handle the weight and power combination. The best way I have seen is 1/10th TC tires. A good belted 1/10th tire will handle the power much better. Some people swear by the foams made for these cars though, they may be worth a try.