Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy 17t Mini-mod and Quantum Micro Reverse Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Reedy 17t Mini-mod and Quantum Micro Reverse Problem

Frustrated by the lack of helpful online support for Reedy and LRP products, I'm turning to the community. I just installed an LRP Quantum Micro Reverse A.I. in my RC18B. In addition, I installed the Reedy 17t mini-mod motor. I ran about 8 batteries with the 14/60 gearing set up fine, then went down to 12/60 per recommendations and hot, short run times. After a few runs with the new pinion (running cooler with the 12 pinion and new heat sink), I began to lose power, as if the batteries were dying, then suddenly, the car would stop. I thought I was overheating, but it's a different problem. The steering works fine, as if I overheated, but if I rotate the motor by hand, or the move the buggy by hand, the motor will turn over and go, but with dramatic power loss. I have not yet diagnosed whether it's the motor or the Speed control by trying a new motor, but was hoping anyone with a familiar story might have some advice. Again, once the motor turns over manually and revs up, I can control the speed with the transmitter just fine. Once the motor stops, it's dead. The only other thing I did differently before the track runs was to spray some motor cleaner (same stuff Team Associated uses) into the motor and add a drop of bearing oil to each end of the motor. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MINImod
Frustrated by the lack of helpful online support for Reedy and LRP products, I'm turning to the community. I just installed an LRP Quantum Micro Reverse A.I. in my RC18B. In addition, I installed the Reedy 17t mini-mod motor. I ran about 8 batteries with the 14/60 gearing set up fine, then went down to 12/60 per recommendations and hot, short run times. After a few runs with the new pinion (running cooler with the 12 pinion and new heat sink), I began to lose power, as if the batteries were dying, then suddenly, the car would stop. I thought I was overheating, but it's a different problem. The steering works fine, as if I overheated, but if I rotate the motor by hand, or the move the buggy by hand, the motor will turn over and go, but with dramatic power loss. I have not yet diagnosed whether it's the motor or the Speed control by trying a new motor, but was hoping anyone with a familiar story might have some advice. Again, once the motor turns over manually and revs up, I can control the speed with the transmitter just fine. Once the motor stops, it's dead. The only other thing I did differently before the track runs was to spray some motor cleaner (same stuff Team Associated uses) into the motor and add a drop of bearing oil to each end of the motor. Any help is much appreciated!
Your brushes probably need to be changed. Pop them out and if they are really short or black/purple color....get a new set. These motors only last about 10-15 packs before they need to be changed out again. I ran mine about 7 times the other day and I already need a new set. This is one reason I am ready to move up to brushless!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think 1 of the poles on the com are burned out. There are 3 patches the brushes contact and if 1 of them burns up this can cause it to not start up until you push the motor. Sorry but that's happened to me too many times to count with these micro brushed motors which is why I now only run brushless.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Both answers above could be correct. I have used so many motors up its not even funny. I would definitely start by replacing the brushes. This is the most common part to wear first. If you keep playing with it like it is you will likely burn one or all of the commutator poles like mentioned before.
Unfortunately one hot run can burn off the natural lubrication in the brushes and every run after that just does damage. If you keep the temps in check from the start, you can get a long happy life from a good brushed motor.
Clearly brushless is the way to go, but you can have plenty of fun with brushed with just a bit more maintenance routine.