Wiki Posts
Search

Waterproof brushless lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Waterproof brushless lipo?

Hey guys, what would it take to make a sidewinder brushless combo with a lipo batt waterproof?

I'd have to totally seal the battery, the ESC, the connectors between motor ESC and batt, what about the motor can water short anything there? I read that motors are usually ok but I figure you got three leads with voltage going to it, don't want it to short at that point

any ideas are welcome. I've read about that gel/stuff you can cover electronics in but I don't know if I trust that
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spawn_x
Hey guys, what would it take to make a sidewinder brushless combo with a lipo batt waterproof?

I'd have to totally seal the battery, the ESC, the connectors between motor ESC and batt, what about the motor can water short anything there? I read that motors are usually ok but I figure you got three leads with voltage going to it, don't want it to short at that point

any ideas are welcome. I've read about that gel/stuff you can cover electronics in but I don't know if I trust that
you have to be careful when you cover components. It will insulate them and make them run hotter. Contact CC and find out if the sidewinder is wp.
the mamba is.

The lipo is another story.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

1) Balloon your servo
2) Contact CC regarding the newer ESCs being as water proof as the original mamba
3) Check out Maxamps regarding micro lipos that are waterproof

or

just wait for the new mini slayer EX or Revo.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Lipos are fine in water, but after every time they get wet you MUST clean the tabs or they will corrode. Try not to fully submerge them though, as eventually the wires will corrode.

To clean the tabs, you carefully remove all heatshrink and expose the tabs (ONE AT A TIME) and wipe them off until there is no water. Do it for all of them, and generally make sure that the battery is dry. Leave overnight, re-heat shrink and ready to go.

Learnt that from my boat.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been runing sidewinder for a year now under the rain. The ESC and LIPO fully sealed with two layer of baloon. No issue about the heat yet because i'm using 4200KV motor. The brushless motor have been always submerge in the rain water like submarine when i accidentally jumped into the pot hole for 10 seconds and them pull throttle to bail it out. Still ok. Runs like wild. Just besure when you get back home clean all the dirt and always lube the motor bearings with electonic lube. Btw the sidewinder was on 1/24 scale monster.