Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Problem with my M18Pro and Losi Xcelorin 7400 ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Help! Problem with my M18Pro and Losi Xcelorin 7400 ESC

Hi all!

I am new to this scale (I run 1/8 TT, but here in spain it has been pouring down rain for months now).

Well, a couple of days ago I mounted my brand new M18 Pro with a Brushless combo Losi Xcelorin 7400.

I tested that everything worked fine, with the wheels on the air, and after changing some setups on the ESC (no reverse, accelerate and brake ratios, etc), it went into a cloud of smoke.

Inmediatelly I disconnected everything and went back to the shop where I bought the combo. And they told me that the most probable cause of the problem was that the pinion that I used was to big.

I installed a pinion with 15T, and they say that I should have used 9T. That caused an overheating.

Is this possible? Or the ESC was faulty? I have looked everywhere, and I have not found anybody with that setup. My spur gear is 42T.

The ESC is on his way back to Losi for repair/replacement Crying or Very sad

Thank you in advance!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How long did you run it in the air? If it was only a few seconds, are you sure that your battery leads were correct (red to +ve/black to -ve)? Other than that, since it doesn't matter which way the motor leads go, you got a faulty unit. The pinion size is fine, maybe a little big but it should have been ok.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

I run it for no more than 5 secs each time.

The polarity was correct...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Yea the guys at your shop don't sound very knowledgeable. Even if you were overgeared the motor wouldn't have went up in smoke like that. Usually heat caused by too much gear results in weakened magnets which will only make the motor junk, it will not damage your ESC. You likely got a junk unit which doesnt surprise me with Horizon (Losi) as there electronics leave little to be desired. IMO your best bet would be try and get your $ back and invest in another system, be it Mamba or Tekin
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

Well, recovering my money won't be easy. I think I will have to confide that the replacement won't burn too.

It is a pity that the quality of the ESC is so low, because the software of the product surprised me, it is really well designed.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by briefer
Hi all!

I am new to this scale (I run 1/8 TT, but here in spain it has been pouring down rain for months now).

Well, a couple of days ago I mounted my brand new M18 Pro with a Brushless combo Losi Xcelorin 7400.

I tested that everything worked fine, with the wheels on the air, and after changing some setups on the ESC (no reverse, accelerate and brake ratios, etc), it went into a cloud of smoke.

Inmediatelly I disconnected everything and went back to the shop where I bought the combo. And they told me that the most probable cause of the problem was that the pinion that I used was to big.

I installed a pinion with 15T, and they say that I should have used 9T. That caused an overheating.

Is this possible? Or the ESC was faulty? I have looked everywhere, and I have not found anybody with that setup. My spur gear is 42T.

The ESC is on his way back to Losi for repair/replacement Crying or Very sad

Thank you in advance!
He doesn't know what he is talking about. He is thinking a truck gear ratio. A sedan has much smaller tires and weight, so it wont be under the same constraints as its rollout wont be the same.

As it is, the lowest pinion you can use with the 42tooth is a 13tooth pinion.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you Mini_me! Now I am sure it was a faulty ESC unit
Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Suspended

a lot of people torched the early ones
you might have got one of those