Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Teach me about bushless setups!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Iam99x
I mentioned something about dynoing R/C cars. I have no idea how that's done. I've dyno'd real cars...but never a R/C cars. I don't even know if it's the same concept.

So here's a start. How do you dyno a R/C car?
build a dyno, for starters.

we don't dyno rc cars.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobbieT
build a dyno, for starters.

we don't dyno rc cars.
Someone said that they "tuned" their Li-Po battery at 60% or something with a dyno. I read it somewhere on this forum. I have no idea where.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Someone said that they "tuned" their Li-Po battery at 60% or something with a dyno. I read it somewhere on this forum. I have no idea where.
i have no idea what you are talking about.

that's where if you have a specific question about a specific post on the forum you have to ask it there, then. saving it and dragging it into another thread confuses the whole deal.
sorry
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

i have no idea what you are talking about.

that's where if you have a specific question about a specific post on the forum you have to ask it there, then. saving it and dragging it into another thread confuses the whole deal.
sorry
Okay.

Does anyone have a Mini T that has a brushless setup that can help me get the right parts to convert mine?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Okay.

Does anyone have a Mini T that has a brushless setup that can help me get the right parts to convert mine?
it is like you're asking me what kind of cookies should you get and does anybody know how to make and bake cookies.

first you need to beef up the rest of the car so it can handle the BL system. in the same way you don't drop a race motor in street car, you need to build your mini-t so it's ready when you do drop the BL in it. read around the site and check out the modifications and option parts people are using.

then you need to scroll around the site and the Internet and do some researching on the various BL systems, and do some comparing and decide which one you might want and when you narrow it down to a couple of choices ask people here their opinions on what you have found.

i wish I could be more help, sorry, but you need to do more of your research yourself.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

it is like you're asking me what kind of cookies should you get and does anybody know how to make and bake cookies.

first you need to beef up the rest of the car so it can handle the BL system. in the same way you don't drop a race motor in street car, you need to build your mini-t so it's ready when you do drop the BL in it. read around the site and check out the modifications and option parts people are using.

then you need to scroll around the site and the Internet and do some researching on the various BL systems, and do some comparing and decide which one you might want and when you narrow it down to a couple of choices ask people here their opinions on what you have found.

i wish I could be more help, sorry, but you need to do more of your research yourself.
I'm not asking for your opinion on something. I just want a reliable setup that will run 45mph+. Basically, a list of what I need. It's okay, I appreciate your replies. I'm constantly reading and trying to figure it all out.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

I have my questions lined up! Any input is appreciated!

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/C...Kv__14235.aspx

Is there a receiver that I can get that will allow me to use my stock Tx?

I'm also sure that I have to replace my steering servo, correct?

How would that setup run with this battery?

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/V...ck__14438.aspx

Also, will that battery fit in my Mini T's stock battery location without modification?

Is it necessary to get one of these? (Robbie, I assume that this is what I was reading about when I said tuning)

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/C...it__12566.aspx

I am aware that I will be needing to replace the stock plastic gears with metal gears because it is inevitable that they will be toast with this much power.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Someone else will need to chime in for beefing up the mini-t - I never had one.

From an electronic's point of view:

1) What do you currently have (radio, ESC, motor, receiver, servo, battery). This will most likely trigger some responses as to your next steps.

For BL setups, you have quite a few options out there.

BL ESC: Popular choices for ESC include tekin rage, mamba sidewinder or pro, Novak Mongoose (this could be over the top here). I imagine a mamba sidewinder you should be able to find at a reasonable price new or used.

BL Motor: Depending on which ESC you choose this may vary depending on ESC (sensored or not). However going the sensorless route, the mambas offer 4200kv, 5400kv, 6800kv and 8000kv. The higher the kv, the faster you'll be able to go, the lower kv the more torque you'll have... Something in the middle I would recommend for all around (6800).

Batteries: LIPOs are lighter, NIMH are heavier. There are too many variables here and a discussion on the properties of LIPOs and NIMH batteries and what they can deliver power wise is not worthwhile for your application (and something too long to go into for this thread - we need to walk first, then we try to run...). As well, I am not familliar with space available for the mini-t...I am not sure about your 60% lipo thingy - I would disregard this. Charge them up fully... You may however make sure what the lipo can deliver "C" wise. However I'm sure some mini-t guys can offer some choices which are known. I have used either some ThunderPower 1320mah LIPO and will soon use some PsychoCells lipos as they are hot! But I'm not sure whether they will fit the t.

SERVO: get a servo saver. Otherwise not sure what fits into a mini-t.

Vehicle: get an RC18T/B! (I had to...)

Not sure where you got the dyno idea...get that out of your mind...
Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PierreV
Someone else will need to chime in for beefing up the mini-t - I never had one.

From an electronic's point of view:

1) What do you currently have (radio, ESC, motor, receiver, servo, battery). This will most likely trigger some responses as to your next steps.

For BL setups, you have quite a few options out there.

BL ESC: Popular choices for ESC include tekin rage, mamba sidewinder or pro, Novak Mongoose (this could be over the top here). I imagine a mamba sidewinder you should be able to find at a reasonable price new or used.

BL Motor: Depending on which ESC you choose this may vary depending on ESC (sensored or not). However going the sensorless route, the mambas offer 4200kv, 5400kv, 6800kv and 8000kv. The higher the kv, the faster you'll be able to go, the lower kv the more torque you'll have... Something in the middle I would recommend for all around (6800).

Batteries: LIPOs are lighter, NIMH are heavier. There are too many variables here and a discussion on the properties of LIPOs and NIMH batteries and what they can deliver power wise is not worthwhile for your application (and something too long to go into for this thread - we need to walk first, then we try to run...). As well, I am not familliar with space available for the mini-t...I am not sure about your 60% lipo thingy - I would disregard this. Charge them up fully... You may however make sure what the lipo can deliver "C" wise. However I'm sure some mini-t guys can offer some choices which are known. I have used either some ThunderPower 1320mah LIPO and will soon use some PsychoCells lipos as they are hot! But I'm not sure whether they will fit the t.

SERVO: get a servo saver. Otherwise not sure what fits into a mini-t.

Vehicle: get an RC18T/B! (I had to...)

Not sure where you got the dyno idea...get that out of your mind...
Right now, my Mini T is 100%, off the showroom floor, bone stock.

I posted links to a Mamba ESC and BL motor combo (8000Kv) for $111. So, I'm pretty sure they will work. I just need to know if I can use the stock AM radio that came with the Mini T with an aftermarket receiver. I hope so or it'll be a bit before I can afford this.

The stock servo has a servo saver on it, so I MIGHT be able to use it. Idk yet. That's another thing, thanks for pointing that out!

As far as batteries go, I understand how to get the RPM's from this formula. (Kv x V = RPM)

I am for sure going with a Lipo. I'm not going to spend money on something that will underpower my setup.

Eh, I wish I had a RC18T. 4WD must be nice! Hey, if I upgrade my Mini T with all of this, can I transfer it over into a RC18T if I upgrade to one??? That would be pretty cool!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Suspended

the stock Tx is designed to work with the stock Rx/ESC combo. i have never heard of anyone re-using it. you are going to need to find a tx/rx combo to use in the truck if you change any of the electrical components - ripping it all out and starting fresh. yes you will need to replace the steering servo also. it is a odd 4-wire unit that is not compatible with anything else other than the stocke electronics.

just so you know, the battery and motor combo you listed (11.1v, 8000kv) is not only likely the overall fastest combination you can shove into a mini they will also roughly quadruple the speed compared to what you are now using.
for a rc rookie, or anyone not used to such speed, and someone with little driving experience I would not recommend it. chances are you will break the truck before you finish your first pack.

you can't just randomly pick out a battery and wonder if it will fit, there are thousands of options. you have to measure the battery box area of the mini-t and locate batteries that will fit within those parameters OR batteries that are specifically designed to fit in the mini-t.

the "castle link" set-up, while great for those wanting to fine-tune their brushless systems, do not tune batteries as you mentioned earlier and have nothing to do with dyno-ing a motor or the car. they are used to adjust the software profiles and performance of the esc/motor combo through updated software supplied by the manufacturer.

contrary to popular belief you do not need to replace the stock plastic gears with metal gears. considering that people run larger 1/10th scale cars using plastic gears, and that many of us have been running these minis utilizing plastic gears for a long time, there is no reason to change them. they work fine.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

the stock Tx is designed to work with the stock Rx/ESC combo. i have never heard of anyone re-using it. you are going to need to find a tx/rx combo to use in the truck if you change any of the electrical components - ripping it all out and starting fresh. yes you will need to replace the steering servo also. it is a odd 4-wire unit that is not compatible with anything else other than the stocke electronics.

just so you know, the battery and motor combo you listed (11.1v, 8000kv) is not only likely the overall fastest combination you can shove into a mini they will also roughly quadruple the speed compared to what you are now using.
for a rc rookie, or anyone not used to such speed, and someone with little driving experience I would not recommend it. chances are you will break the truck before you finish your first pack.

you can't just randomly pick out a battery and wonder if it will fit, there are thousands of options. you have to measure the battery box area of the mini-t and locate batteries that will fit within those parameters OR batteries that are specifically designed to fit in the mini-t.

the "castle link" set-up, while great for those wanting to fine-tune their brushless systems, do not tune batteries as you mentioned earlier and have nothing to do with dyno-ing a motor or the car. they are used to adjust the software profiles and performance of the esc/motor combo through updated software supplied by the manufacturer.

contrary to popular belief you do not need to replace the stock plastic gears with metal gears. considering that people run larger 1/10th scale cars using plastic gears, and that many of us have been running these minis utilizing plastic gears for a long time, there is no reason to change them. they work fine.
I've owned a XXX-NT that I swapped a Dynamite .12 into and regeared for top speed. I was somewhere around 65mph. That was a couple years ago and can't remember the exact setup, but it was fun and not difficult for me to control.

That battery that I linked on atomic mods is located under the Mini T battery section, so I'm assuming it will work. I will check the demensions to see if it will fit before purchasing.

Now, since I will be replacing my Tx and Rx, I would like to know how to tell which ones are compatible with the ESC I linked. Hopefully I can find something less than $100.

I don't see why the factory Tx won't work, though. It's an AM Tx operating on Ch.1 @ 26.995MHz.

Couldn't I just get an AM Rx and put my current crystal in it and go?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I've owned a XXX-NT that I swapped a Dynamite .12 into and regeared for top speed. I was somewhere around 65mph. That was a couple years ago and can't remember the exact setup, but it was fun and not difficult for me to control.

That battery that I linked on atomic mods is located under the Mini T battery section, so I'm assuming it will work. I will check the demensions to see if it will fit before purchasing.

Now, since I will be replacing my Tx and Rx, I would like to know how to tell which ones are compatible with the ESC I linked. Hopefully I can find something less than $100.

I don't see why the factory Tx won't work, though. It's an AM Tx operating on Ch.1 @ 26.995MHz.

Couldn't I just get an AM Rx and put my current crystal in it and go?

First and I'm sorry for saying this but there's no way you XXX- NT would do 65 mph with a Dynamite 12, maybe 35mph, tops. Anway, with a brushless/lipo combo it will be twice as gast and 3 x's lighter than a 10th scale gas truck, it will be unlike anything you've drove, guaranteed.

For your setup I would recommend going with the Mamba Sidewinder/ Aon motor combo with a 2s lipo, will be all the speed you need IMO. Also upgrade from AM to FM at the very least, AM sucks anyway and with that much speed the last thing you want is radio glitches and interference. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trerc
First and I'm sorry for saying this but there's no way you XXX- NT would do 65 mph with a Dynamite 12, maybe 35mph, tops. Anway, with a brushless/lipo combo it will be twice as gast and 3 x's lighter than a 10th scale gas truck, it will be unlike anything you've drove, guaranteed.

For your setup I would recommend going with the Mamba Sidewinder/ Aon motor combo with a 2s lipo, will be all the speed you need IMO. Also upgrade from AM to FM at the very least, AM sucks anyway and with that much speed the last thing you want is radio glitches and interference. Good Luck
I was trusting a guy from school when he told me it was going 65mph. He drove down the road in his car and I matched his speed. Who knows. I do know that it was much faster than the stock .15, which ran like crap.

Are you saying that this would be a better battery choice?

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/D...ck__12568.aspx

I'll be upgrading to an FM because a 2.4 isn't affordable at the moment.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Suspended

like trerc siad, I seriously doubt there is any chance you made your XXX-NT go that fast off that motor. "maybe" if you had bought a real race motor, but not of that dynamite.

the other thing is that regardless of how fast you made it go, comparatively if you were to get your mini-t going anywhere close to the same speed while you might be able to drive your XXX-NT because it's larger but making a rocket out of that rollerskate is sheer suicide.

most aftermarket rx/tx sets will work with the ESC you linked. but honestly I wouldn't risk having trouble and wrecking the car because you lowballed a radio system to save a buck when your putting so much money into the rest of the car. you "might" find a Rx that is compatible to your radio, but who knows.
there is nothing wrong with AM radios, I have been using them for years with no issues. The only people that have trouble are the ones that insist on using cheap ones - whether it be AM or FM or even 2.4ghz
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I'm not sure what batteries fit the Mini T but a 2s lipo will be plenty. Also another good Esc/Motor combo would be the Mamba micro pro with the 6800Kv motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.