Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Inferno!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have been running brushless in mine with the stock diff gears without any major problems. The first thing I would upgrade if you are staying with the stock chassis would be the rear chassis brace and the rear hubs. I would replace both of those parts with aluminum. By replacing the chassis brace you will elimanate alot of the chassis flex when jumping.

Rear chassis brace
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...9430&cat_name=

Rear hubs
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...6286&cat_name=

Here is another chassis
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...014&cat_name=#
Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Tech Initiate

i cant use the chassis brace as it eats into the area where i place my motor! I had to cut the existing plastic brace. To be honest, it didn't seem like it would matter much, it looked like such a small piece! Did i just screw my car up by mounting the motor where i did?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Why did you move the motor? Do you have any pics of what you have done?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artyspec
Which are the first things to go bust when i upgrade to brushless? I'm trying to avoid getting ball centre diffs cuz they're gonna get replaced when i eventually change to the KM-RC chassis anyway. Does the KM-RC chassis accommodate for a motor placement like mine? (Rear right)
Artie the rear right motor placement causes torque steer in the MI. The Kmrc chassis lays the chassis out identicle to a 1/10 B44. It is the most balanced chassis set-up Out of all the chassis I tried on my MI. And I tried a few!!The slipper in the kmrc chassis is great!! Much more useable/tunable than the stock MI slipper.It makes the drivetrain way more solid and bullet proof.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dont think anything will break when you go bl exept mabey the diffs. i am not positive that they will cause i upgraded mine before i went bl. although you will notice that the center diff wont put all the power down and just slip all day long. the things i would def. change is the front and rear diffs, the diff cups, dog bones, and put cvds all around. the drive tran is the biggest fault in that car. besides that you're gonna need a good servo and i've found that multiplex makes a great servo for the mini cars. besides that, what i posted before is pretty much all you will need mabey some aluminum parts. like hubs front and rear, extra king pins cause they seem to fall out even with lock tight then from their whatever bling you want. thats just what what i did. i'm sure other people have other ideas that are just as good, but i learned the hard way and bought alot of stuff i dident need then had to buy things afterwards that was needed. so any advice i give about these things is to build the drive tran then build as needed.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I heard the ball diffs come loose easily, is that true?

Nice mods you've got there. Here's mine with minimal mods lol. Just bought it not long ago and looking for a direction to go. I wannna go faaaast! Since i live in Hong Kong, there are some chinese 1/18 brushless sets which are really affordable at around 50USD, might wanna try that out first.
t9dragon, i did this to my car... it's on the previous page actually.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Initiate

actually it's quite similar to yours on ur km-rc chassis!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

actually it's quite similar to yours on ur km-rc chassis!
similar yes, but when you do the gear box flip to get the motor on the R rear the direction the motor turns causes torque steer.The kmrc set up has the motor turning oposite of the drivetrain rotation which helps cancels the torque steer. The problem has mainly to do with the MI center gear box with the lay shaft. having a lay shaft in line there actually increases the torque steer due to all the rotating mass turning the same direction.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

ah i sorta get what you mean but in that case, won't the original motor placement cause torque steer as well?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

ah i sorta get what you mean but in that case, won't the original motor placement cause torque steer as well?
Yes , That's why as companies started making chassis for the MI they started moving the motor placement around.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

A mini Inferno thread! Finally!
I was starting to think noone wanted to admit they had one.

As for the OP, the MI didn't do well for a few reasons. First and foremost, Kyosho is in a constant state of "transition", and parts production/availability for anything other than their heavy hitters is sporadic at best. Second, it was the only 1/16 scale on the market when it came out (I think) and the 1/18 guys didn't like to run with them. Third, out of the box it was ridiculously slow.

I've done the flip on mine and had no issues with it whatsoever, so I wouldn't worry much about that. Of course I drive the MI so damned well, that I'm not real picky about stuff like that. With a little work, the MI is the best handling, jumping, most stable, @$$ hauling mini that ever hit the carpet (or RCP).

The first thing to go on mine, was the c-hub setup. The screws kept coming out and the holes eventually stripped, so I replaced the blocks and carriers with aluminum, and added locktite. The good part is, aftermarket/hopup parts are easier to find than the stock stuff.

The second thing was the stock steering servo. And of course you can't use a standard (3 wire) servo with the stock receiver. It's just like the mini-t setup. So, out go the stock electronics and in with the new.

So of course I hadda go brushless. I went with an aon 4900 and mamba 25, which just turned it into a freaking rocket! I drag raced a friends new lst2, gave him a huge head start and let 'er rip. I ran up on him faster than I thought I would, and slammed right into the back/underside of him like he was standing still. The minis get a little twitchy at warp speed.

After the brushless, the slipper really started slipping so some mods had to take place there. The plastic drive cups would come loose from the diffs and eventually got shredded. Aluminum cups are a necessity. Also if you ever flip the thing and land on the front of the lid, the front shock tower will snap like spaghetti.

I've tried 3racing CVs and broke them right away, so now I use the stock axles and dogbones. I can live with a little slop.

You'll eventually probably want to run 1/10 scale TC rims and foams so, you'll need the 12mm hexes.

Other than that, I'm pretty much rolling stock. Never had an issue with diffs or anything, of course I constantly maintain that kinda stuff.

http://www.rcplanet.com/ (just search for mini inferno)

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...nferno&x=0&y=0

The mini inferno on carpet is the most fun I've ever had in RC. Maybe it's just because that's the only time I can honestly say, I just absolutely dominated the field.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

+1 What he said!

I recently picked up a mini inferno from a member on here which is currently running a carbon fiber flip chassis, brushless system using the mamba micro pro and ammo motor. This little buggy is an absolute rocket and Im hooked. I took it the other night to an offroad carpet track and I was passing 1/10 buggies lol. Its a blast to drive.

Stay tuned on this forum as I soon will be starting a full race build up of a Mini Inferno using the KM-RC chassis and a Nue 1505/2.5y . Its gonna be insane.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Tech Initiate

yay! all hail the mini inferno! It's a great little truck on brushless! (hopefully) Sigh, don't think this thread will last long though, mini inferno is still, on the whole, highly unpopular.... I'll update with my brushless in a few days time!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

We had 3 MI running in the unlimited mini class of our series a couple years back. After the first season all the 18t and mini-t guys were complaining about getting whipped up on all season long.So the MI's were banned from the series. Funny part is it was just about the time that the vendetta ST was released.Which is considered 1/18 scale even though it has a bigger footprint than the MI buggy.So all of us that were running MI's switched over to vendetta ST's and the 18t/ min-t guys were STILL getting whipped up on by the 3 of us!
Old 11-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
We had 3 MI running in the unlimited mini class of our series a couple years back. After the first season all the 18t and mini-t guys were complaining about getting whipped up on all season long.So the MI's were banned from the series. Funny part is it was just about the time that the vendetta ST was released.Which is considered 1/18 scale even though it has a bigger footprint than the MI buggy.So all of us that were running MI's switched over to vendetta ST's and the 18t/ min-t guys were STILL getting whipped up on by the 3 of us!
thats great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.