Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sway Bar make things worst!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Sway Bar make things worst!!

I have a Ramunition Truck with upgraded suspension. It's a little stiffer than the stock one. When I had the stock suspensions on, it didn't flip as much as I had with the upgraded suspensions on. Now I added Sway Bar, it made things much worse, even a tiny turn can flip the truck... For some reason, it flips more easily with the sway bar on
Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sounds like you're suffering from traction rolls, and sway bars wont fix that (they combat body roll). Have you tried lowering the ride height?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Sounds like you're suffering from traction rolls, and sway bars wont fix that (they combat body roll). Have you tried lowering the ride height?
acutally, a front sway bar will get rid of traction roll. *however* when the car is too stiff, it will roll over the suspension, and flip anyway. you may want to go back to a softer setup
Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

so are you saying that it's my stiff suspensions that are causing my car to roll over? should I go for a softer spring?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ramunition
I have a Ramunition Truck with upgraded suspension. It's a little stiffer than the stock one. When I had the stock suspensions on, it didn't flip as much as I had with the upgraded suspensions on. Now I added Sway Bar, it made things much worse, even a tiny turn can flip the truck... For some reason, it flips more easily with the sway bar on
what do you mean by "upgraded"?
if all you did was add bling parts, and did nothing to lower the suspension, adding a sway bar would do nothing other than make the truck stiffer.
a tall truck with a high center of gravity and mushy tires wants to traction roll. especially on the street
a tall truck with a high cog and mushy tires with stiff suspension will only traction roll more.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

basically, i bought a set aluminum of aluminum suspensions, the stock ones were plastic... the new suspensions I bought are little stiffer than the stock ones
Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
acutally, a front sway bar will get rid of traction roll. *however* when the car is too stiff, it will roll over the suspension, and flip anyway. you may want to go back to a softer setup
The sway bars function is to reduce body roll by tying both sides of the suspension together. The reduction in weight transfer to the outside of the vehicle may reduce potential roll overs but isnt the intended result of adding the sway bar.

When you say stiffer, are you referring to the material used in the aluminum arm vs the stock part? Did you replace the springs with a stiffer rate? What specifically is stiffer? Your best bet is to lower the ride height.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
The sway bars function is to reduce body roll by tying both sides of the suspension together. The reduction in weight transfer to the outside of the vehicle may reduce potential roll overs but isnt the intended result of adding the sway bar.
if you have too much front bite/steering (generally what you have when your traction rolling) then a swaybar can be very helpful.

like you said reducing ride height will also help greatly if the truck is sitting a mile high.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ramunition
basically, i bought a set aluminum of aluminum suspensions, the stock ones were plastic... the new suspensions I bought are little stiffer than the stock ones
buying aluminum and stiffer suspension pieces really does little to solve your problem. you just made it so that if happens faster.
sounds like you are trying to use the truck for purposes other than it was intended, so unless you actually work on the suspension to acheive that goal you will not accomplish anything by just bolting on parts.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Ram...
You have a monster truck. By deffinition, it will not corner well and will have a tendency to roll. If you want corner speed, a Vendetta ST or RC18t (stadium trucks) will give you the performance you seek.
You can improve cornering performance of anything though, so set-ups can offer improvement. Much of what you mentioned is a bit vague. You say 'sway bar', did you intall front and rear? You say 'suspensions', are you referring to the suspension arms?, shocks?...
In general, stiffer set-ups will offer greater corner speeds before rolling over, but when it goes over, it happens quicker. Softer set-ups will roll at lower corner speeds, but it happens slower and is easier to catch and recover.
When you stiffen the suspension action, your vehicle responds quicker, and can excede it's limit of lateral g-load potential more quickly. Concentrate on the front end, by heavier front sway bar vs. rear bar, heavier front spring vs. rear spring. Thicker oil in front shocks.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Precisely, because you have a monster truck, there are some things you won't have much luck in adjusting, & center of gravity(CG) is probably the biggest thing. The lower a vehicle sits, the lower its CG, & the lower the CG, the better it can resist traction rolls. But a monster truck can only be lowered so far, so even as low as it can be, it'll likely still be higher than many other vehicles, especially onroad cars. And on high traction surfaces(especially ones like carpet or RCP), that will make a BIG difference in resisting traction rolls(since a lot of tires will have more than enough grip on that stuff). The sway bars can help a little bit, but the CG is by FAR more important for a truck, so I'd try lowering that thing as far as you possibly can without it scraping the track surface(if can be lowered that far), & that should help quite a bit(particularly in conjunction with the sway bars). And if that still isn't enough, you may need to find ways to reduce front grip, like harder front tire compounds, firmer front springs & thicker front shock oil, etc......