Wiki Posts
Search

RC18 golden horizon hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RC18 golden horizon hub problem

Bought some Blue rear hubs for my 18R last week, put them in the same day at the track to find out when i tightened my wheel my rear wheels would not turn, it took me a few minutes to figure it out. I looked at the stock rear hub and noticed that there is a bevel in the hub so you can remove the inner bearing and so the hub bearing inner race does not touch it. I tried removing the inner hub bearing at the track with no luck since the bevel was not built into these aluminum hubs which in turn bind up the inner bearing on the inner race.
So i finally got the bearing out of each hub and beveled the hub with my bremel and now they work perfectly.
I wanted everyonr to know this so you can correct the problem before you put the bearings in and find out for yourself and spend lots of time getting out the bearings
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We've never had this problem before, but thanks for letting us know. We'll tell our QC about this and let them keep an eye out for this.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

I actually tried calling you guys the other day but i guess since i live on the west coast i called a bit too late, or you guys were closed that day, sorry i didnt leave a message. But do you understand what i meant? After i figured it out another guy at the track said he had the same problem, not trying to bash on your product, its a possibility that when you guys installed them you guys were using a bearing spacer which would eliminate the problem that i had. Other then the problem i had they are top notch, got rid of alot of the play in the stock rear hub carriers. Too bad my Local track hasnt raced for the last few weeks so the only use these hubs have gotten was a little bit of testing in front of my house.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tater salad
I actually tried calling you guys the other day but i guess since i live on the west coast i called a bit too late, or you guys were closed that day, sorry i didnt leave a message. But do you understand what i meant? After i figured it out another guy at the track said he had the same problem, not trying to bash on your product, its a possibility that when you guys installed them you guys were using a bearing spacer which would eliminate the problem that i had. Other then the problem i had they are top notch, got rid of alot of the play in the stock rear hub carriers. Too bad my Local track hasnt raced for the last few weeks so the only use these hubs have gotten was a little bit of testing in front of my house.
I've had to re-do any of their products too, and finally gave up and stopped buying from them as nothing ever seemed to fit as it should.

I've called, emailed, and know of others that have as well and they always have the same response to longstanding problems - "We've never had this problem before, but thanks for letting us know. We'll tell our QC about this and let them keep an eye out for this."
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you guys any issues with our products. We will want to make it right with you guys, since customers are our top priority. However, we seriously haven't heard any issues with these hubs, as we have sold few thousand of them.
If you'd like, please do send back the hubs, as we will gladly exchange it for a new one for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Well i got my hubs to work so im cool, they did get a little sratched and mauled a bit while trying to remove the inner bearing to do the modifications, so if you want to send me a new pair i will ship back my old ones as soon as i recieve the new ones, i just dont want to have any down time you know.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Well i got my hubs to work so im cool, they did get a little sratched and mauled a bit while trying to remove the inner bearing to do the modifications, so if you want to send me a new pair i will ship back my old ones as soon as i recieve the new ones, i just dont want to have any down time you know.
That's the problem with sending them back, first you're without for however long it takes to replace them and second the new ones they send will have the same tolerance problems as the first ones you had and you'll have to fix them too. Then you're back to square one.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCabcs
That's the problem with sending them back, first you're without for however long it takes to replace them and second the new ones they send will have the same tolerance problems as the first ones you had and you'll have to fix them too. Then you're back to square one.
Exactly, thats why if they want to send me a new pair that way i can mod/fix them and then ill have a cleaner pair. the pair that is on my car got a little hacked up from trying to get the bearings out while out at the track. I figured out how to get them out now without damaging them.

This is a huge problem, especially since as soon as you pop that inner bearing in its dam near impossible to get out to fix the hub. All they have to do is look at the stock plastic hub and counter sink the hole just like the stock one. This will allow proper bearing clearance and easier removal of the inner bearing for maintenance.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Exactly, thats why if they want to send me a new pair that way i can mod/fix them and then ill have a cleaner pair. the pair that is on my car got a little hacked up from trying to get the bearings out while out at the track. I figured out how to get them out now without damaging them.

This is a huge problem, especially since as soon as you pop that inner bearing in its dam near impossible to get out to fix the hub. All they have to do is look at the stock plastic hub and counter sink the hole just like the stock one. This will allow proper bearing clearance and easier removal of the inner bearing for maintenance.

I had the same problem with a pair on my rc18 and my mini-t. it seems to have been because they didn't exactly copy the original stock parts to provide proper relief for the bearings. I had to use bearing spacers on some and others had to countersink the holes just like you to allow room for the bearing races so they didn't bind up.