Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Picked up a TL Mini-t today >

Picked up a TL Mini-t today

Picked up a TL Mini-t today

Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Picked up a TL Mini-t today

It was a total impulse buy, bought the rtr kit, bought new shocks for it too. I am going tomarrow to get the battery and charger for it, some 2000mah battery thats supposed to be lighter and better than the other ones, i dont know much about this stuff, still learning, then a new motor. Any motor suggestions?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh, the battery was called a lipo i think, and he mentioned a mambo 5400 or 6800? I think?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome to the hobby! The mini-t Was my first RC car like 5-6 years ago

Starting off with a lipo battery and a brushless system nice! That should be a very fast little truck. Also if he mentioned a Mamba 5400 or 6800 you shouldn't need a motor. The 5400 and 6800 are motors.

Here would be my first upgrade idea for you-
http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_N...T_CHASSIS.html

Also here is a video to give you an idea of what you bought.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TOwJEbnFV3c
Old 05-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You can add speed to Mini T with a Baja or Insane motor and better NIMH batts. You don't need to go to the expense of the Lipo and Charger and a brushless system immediately. If you just want to go ballistically fast then you can go the full bore Lipo and Brushless.

They are a lot of fun. I run at a high banked oval carpet track on Tuesday nights and we have rookie, stock, and mod Mini T classes. The mods are incredible on this track. A fast lap is 3.5 seconds or less. We also run Vendettas, Vendetta STs, Sliders, Mini Late models, and an unlimited four wheel drive class. On Saturdays I run 1/10th scale offroad in summer and carpet oval in winter.

1/18th are a blast; have fun however you decide to run it.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

You don't need $50 chassis kits and $100+ Brushless systems to start or fancy LiPos. Try running it stock with a nice 6 cell NiMh. Losi makes some. See how you like it-you might not even want to get all of the Mamba and LiPo stuff to make it 50mph+.

Once you get used to the car, consider a Mamba, but keep in mind you'll need a new Radio and Servo. The Mamba systems come with an ESC and a motor so you'll be set there.

Also, LiPo batteries need special chargers. A decent one is going to be well over $100-you may be thinking that this is getting expensive fast, with motor systems that cost more than the car and whatnot. You can slowly upgrade as you want. However you will need new electronics when you make the Mamba brushless jump.

Keep in mind that with all that new power, you'll need transmission upgrades and drivetrain upgrades, like a Ball Differential, Dual Disk Slipper clutch, and CVDs...all this costs a lot, so you may decide to hold off. Whatever you do, don't let the Hobby Shop employees push you into it-Hobby Shops are GREAT for parts support and for someone to talk to in addition to getting to mess around with the cars before you get one, but sometimes they can be a little pushy and in my experience distort the facts in order to get you to pull the trigger on $300 worth of stuff that you may or may not need/want.

Also, that chassis is not out yet, so keep that in mind. It is great for once you have all of the brushless and upgrades, but you will never "need" it...I've never seen it and no one here has run it unless they work for Exotek, so its hard to recommend although I may try one out myself.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Creature- very good post!

Utahracer- Check this youtube vid out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jhka1gXSWJk&feature=related
Excellent camera work!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Creature
You don't need $50 chassis kits and $100+ Brushless systems to start or fancy LiPos. Try running it stock with a nice 6 cell NiMh. Losi makes some. See how you like it-you might not even want to get all of the Mamba and LiPo stuff to make it 50mph+.

Once you get used to the car, consider a Mamba, but keep in mind you'll need a new Radio and Servo. The Mamba systems come with an ESC and a motor so you'll be set there.

Also, LiPo batteries need special chargers. A decent one is going to be well over $100-you may be thinking that this is getting expensive fast, with motor systems that cost more than the car and whatnot. You can slowly upgrade as you want. However you will need new electronics when you make the Mamba brushless jump.

Keep in mind that with all that new power, you'll need transmission upgrades and drivetrain upgrades, like a Ball Differential, Dual Disk Slipper clutch, and CVDs...all this costs a lot, so you may decide to hold off. Whatever you do, don't let the Hobby Shop employees push you into it-Hobby Shops are GREAT for parts support and for someone to talk to in addition to getting to mess around with the cars before you get one, but sometimes they can be a little pushy and in my experience distort the facts in order to get you to pull the trigger on $300 worth of stuff that you may or may not need/want.

Also, that chassis is not out yet, so keep that in mind. It is great for once you have all of the brushless and upgrades, but you will never "need" it...I've never seen it and no one here has run it unless they work for Exotek, so its hard to recommend although I may try one out myself.
+1
Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeR
Creature- very good post!

Utahracer- Check this youtube vid out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jhka1gXSWJk&feature=related
Excellent camera work!
Agree of the camera work.

But that has got to be the worst jumping Mini-Baja I've ever seen. Mine weren't that bad out of the box.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

I took all your suggestions into consideration, but when i got to the hobby store, I couldn't hold back, it was like an infectious disease that took over. I ordered the Mamba 6800 kit, i bought a LiPo battery(they only had 1), I got the charger i needed, I bought some new wire connectors for everything. I bought a ball diff, slipper clutch. And even a Mini-t and micro tool set. I cant wait to get everything, oh, i am buying a new reciever when i go to pick up the mamba next week.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBigEasy
I took all your suggestions into consideration, but when i got to the hobby store, I couldn't hold back, it was like an infectious disease that took over. I ordered the Mamba 6800 kit, i bought a LiPo battery(they only had 1), ............
Hope your only plan is for speed runs, otherwise you just got your Chihuahua wired on crack.

Make sure your lhs has a bevy of spare parts
Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

[QUOTE=oldschoolracer;4492467] you just got your Chihuahua wired on crack.

thats funny stuff
Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Nice call on the slipper and ball differential, but you're gonna need MIP CVDs.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB1240

Good luck and be careful your first time out with throttle control and as silly as it seems now, trees. It can be a very steep learning curve with that much power at your finger tips.

Edit: Please tell me the new Mini-Ts include ball bearings in the wheels/hubs or you got some too-they are a must buy, even more so than the shocks even if you're going to be running stock, no less brushless. Team Losi sells bearing kits and your local hobby shop probably even has a shelf of every size bearing you could possibly want.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks creature for all the good advice. I will get those mip cvds for it too. I will also need bearings, it does not have them yet.