Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Potential" Micro Worlds Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RCMadness
So, be creative, but if there is an unfair advantage we need to think about it.
I can understand that if someone showed up with a 2 foot wide car, or james bond wheel spikes, it would be unfair as it would terribly hinder the ability of other cars to pass. Otherwise I guess that being obsessed with wheelbase since it varies so much across the board is pointless to worry about because at some point someone can make a funnycar-length car if they wanted but it won't make it around the corners so they've designed themselves right out of the game. End of discussion.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by oldschoolracer
I can understand that if someone showed up with a 2 foot wide car, or james bond wheel spikes, it would be unfair as it would terribly hinder the ability of other cars to pass. Otherwise I guess that being obsessed with wheelbase since it varies so much across the board is pointless to worry about because at some point someone can make a funnycar-length car if they wanted but it won't make it around the corners so they've designed themselves right out of the game. End of discussion.

not sure if I follow you but rule are rule. if you want to desing a new car, you must do it inside the rule.

a good example is the xray M18, xray M18 pro and the exotek R3 (all the same dimension but with a little bit something different inside.)
Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oldschoolracer
Didn't you just contradict yourself?

I am personally all for development, but setting strict regulations as to what fits and what does not squashes that.
I say throw 'em down, run 'em, and let God sort it out.

Not really..If you dont have atleast a max width and length rule I could turn up with a 2ft long car and say its an 18th.

Extreme I know..but its the sort of loop hole 'we' need to look at.

Myself and Dean are going to bang our heads together and see what we come up with...

Hopefully the majority will like the ideas we have
Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c0sie
See this is where I disagree with keeping all cars at their original sizes.

Firstly it means you cant have anyone making one offs which leads to a lack of development within the scene.
How does keeping the car the same size inhibit development? If anything, it promotes creativity! Instead of making something larger to be more stable, a company must engineer a better product. Just look at the development of 2wd buggies from the 80's onwards. Most of the development was in suspension, drivetrain, and materials.

Only a few times during then has the wheel size changed, and the width/track as well. Even then, not by much in comparison size wise to the variety we have in these scales.

I'm all for a stated max for wheelbases and trackwidths! I just hope there is a understanding a cutoff must be made, and running cars a different scale as stated (1/16th) with 1/18th really is neither scale looking nor fair competition for either. So if that one-off manufacturer goes their own route, too bad! They can't race in the normal classes.

That, and there are buggies, and there are truggies. They are meant to handle differently and when you have enough racers, separate classes. So if the truck dimensional limits are a little bigger, awesome! I just really hate the idea of taking what was specifically designed wise as a truck (MB4T) and putting the buggy body on it, when a engineered buggy version with different suspension does exist.

Last edited by oXYnary; 08-14-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but weight restriction(s) in certain classes might be beneficial. It would allow for more relaxed size rules while leveling the playing field at the same time.....in a perfect world of course. Take a page from IMSA and other race organizations....limit the weight and powerplants per class and everything else should fall into place, no?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but weight restriction(s) in certain classes might be beneficial. It would allow for more relaxed size rules while leveling the playing field at the same time.....in a perfect world of course. Take a page from IMSA and other race organizations....limit the weight and powerplants per class and everything else should fall into place, no?
Whoa, what a great idea dude.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

I assume you mean a minimum weight? If you only use weight and power as the limit. You can still have mess ups. 1/12th can run our motors, and their weight is not too much more than ours. Then there is the 1/14th sedans. The 1/16th will still have the advantage of track which will give it a distinct advantage on very rough tracks.

Completely off topic.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
I assume you mean a minimum weight? If you only use weight and power as the limit. You can still have mess ups. 1/12th can run our motors, and their weight is not too much more than ours. Then there is the 1/14th sedans. The 1/16th will still have the advantage of track which will give it a distinct advantage on very rough tracks.

Completely off topic.
Well, it was just a thought, but I would think the weight restrictions would have to have a minimum and maximum as well as be fairly stringent. It's also obvious that a longer car/truck will have more control on a rougher track, but if you throw a few hairpins in here and there, the longer wheelbase is now a hinderance rather than an advantage.
I'm also not all that into (nor have I ever been) 12th or 14th scale, but you can't tell me that a 12L4 weighs the same a Scalpel or BRP Pan. Maybe a very hop-up, BL and trimmed down carpet knife weighs similarly to a bone stock NiCD powered M18 with jurassic electronics, but 4wd is still 4wd and there are rules governing such class seperation without the confusion of size.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Well, it was just a thought, but I would think the weight restrictions would have to have a minimum and maximum as well as be fairly stringent. It's also obvious that a longer car/truck will have more control on a rougher track, but if you throw a few hairpins in here and there, the longer wheelbase is now a hinderance rather than an advantage.
I'm also not all that into (nor have I ever been) 12th or 14th scale, but you can't tell me that a 12L4 weighs the same a Scalpel or BRP Pan. Maybe a very hop-up, BL and trimmed down carpet knife weighs similarly to a bone stock NiCD powered M18 with jurassic electronics, but 4wd is still 4wd and there are rules governing such class seperation without the confusion of size.

Just my 2 cents.

yup, the more lumbering of a vehicle only impeeds its ability to get around a track.

instead of looking for ways to legislate vehicles out of this class and watch it slowly fold away into oblivion it seems to me that we should be looking for ways to allow more vehicles and more opportunities for creative thinking and designs.
otherwise we're just killing the horse before it ever shows up to race.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Just my 2 cents.

That depends on the track though. So you will end up having to have all these different scale vehicles to match each tracks size and setup versus one scale and adjusting the individual vehicles.

I also apologize with the 1/12th and similar weight. I meant, its weight is in the same ballpark as ours to still allow mambas to be used. But no, on all but the most narrowest and smoothest of tracks (say a rcp), the 1/12th would out perform a scalpel in the corners. It could carry a much greater amount of speed.

Very few tracks have dedicated 1/18th size layouts. Most are using 1/10th+. So especially with that context, the bigger vehicles already have an advantage.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Well everyone knows that red cars are the fastest and so because of that advantage all red cars should have their own class. But then you cannot pit a buggy against an ST in the red class so I purpose we should have a red buggy class and a red truggy class. Also, you have to differentiate between buggy's with longer wheelbase so we should definitely have 2 more classes, red long wheelbase buggy and red short wheelbase buggy.

But then there are buggies with bigger wings which obviously have a downforce advantage so if we don't propose to measure the downforce then you have to split that as well.

While we are at it, let's make sure there is a class for people who race frequently and a class for those that race only every so often. The people that race more often clearly have an advantage over the people with busy jobs. Also, people who have registered VRC accounts clearly get an unfair advantage too so let's make sure we keep them seperate as well.

So I want to be the champion of the 'red long wheelbase buggy class with high downforce wing and registered VRC account who doesn't practise that often'. Or for short, the RLWBCWHDWARVAWDPTO champion

Only joking of course, no need to get all huffy
Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Suspended

you forgot about those that cut out the windshield

and fat fingered drivers versus the skinny fingered ones, everybody knows the skinny fingered boys have quicker trigger fingers
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Getting Closer....

Im curious as to who will sponsor(manufacturers) such a series???
In our realm of cyberspace we have regulars from the US, the UK,
Canada, Australia and Sweden. If I left out anybody chime in. (and you will)
From these countries who will show up for the race?
I may be dreaming but what I would like to see is regional races in each country then the top 3 in each class would get an invite to the World championship. In the big picture very few can afford to go to a World venue.
I would also think before you can label a race with the words World Championship you need a representation of at least 10 countries....