11.1v carpet racers (offroad)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11.1v carpet racers (offroad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Questions?? 11.1v carpet racers (offroad)

Guys,

If you run 11.1v LiPo's, indoors, on carpet, offroad (jumps etc) then can you please post here with which ESC, motor and car you are running and your thoughts please?

Namely, do you feel 11.1v is better than 7.4v?
Do you find your ESCs and motors run hotter with 11.1v?
Do you find less cogging than with 7.4v?
Do you find you have a better bottom end than with 7.4v?
Etc...

Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to know as well since I have been considering as such since I can get a good deal (free) on a Hacker E 4900 which has been used before to win some National classes on 3 cell.

As you already know Cosie (but for those reading). A higher voltage rating drops the amount of amperage the motor uses, which can reduce cogging. Lower KV motors are also supposed to have smoother power bands which can take advantage of using 3 cells.

In other words you can be as fast as a 8000kv on 7.4V with a 11.1V 4900-5400kv. Without the heat, reduced runtime, potential cogging, and schizophrenic power band a 8000kv would give.

My drawbacks are these:
  • Cost
  • Higher CG. On carpet, this has more of effect than true off road since your traction is so high.
  • Too high for some upper decks, battery retainers, or hitting top mounted steering assemblies.
  • Lighter Vehicles probably wont have as much benefit versus heavier vehicles. In fact, could be a hindrance with the increased torque.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

I find it very odd that Dean at RCMadness can get near enough 300 of you American micro racers into a room for 3 days a year...yet hardly any of you (especially the top top percentage of those racers) can be bothered to frequent the forums and post anything, be it setup or just in general.

I guess the UK might be smaller in comparison, but atleast we have the drivers support behind us.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ouch dude! Was that Yank Dig?
Seriously though, you are correct. Most of the guys on here (in the mini forum at least) and over on one18th.com are mostly bashers and club racers who either don't frequent the boards, or don't care to post. I, myself, have never felt the need for an 11.1v pack on an indoor track.
Based on my experience and what Mini_me said.....the motor will run cooler, but the ESC will get hotter. I'd rather deal with a heat issue on a motor than an ESC any day.

BTW......I'm not a racer either....just a stone mason/carpenter who likes his toys.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Just a pro-racer dig lol

For the record, I sell forklifts
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

c0sie,

Sorry the Factory Drivers haven't done a better job talking it up on the Forums......But there are quiet a few top percentage here, including myself, that do post a lot when we can.....that being said......

To answer some of your questions....the difference between the 11.1v and the 7.4v has already been answered here.....

I can not speak for Hacker because I run for Castle and for what I will be running at the Nationals this year will dictate what track is set up....
If it is tight and technical like it has been in years past, I will most likely use the Castle 5400kv with MaxAmps 860 or 1100 2s lipo's.....Because you get better low end tork and do not need the high end as much....
If the track set up is fast like it was last year then I will grab all that I can and run the Castle 8000kv with MaxAmps 860 or 1100 2s lipo's..... I only run the 7.4v set up here because of the CG and weight diference....no need for the 11.1v..
I will post again during next week and let you know what my final set up's are on all of my vehicles for the Nationals.....
I will be running: Stk 2wd, Mod 2wd, Mod 4wd, Stk buggy, Mod buggy, Monster Truck, and Open Rally..... A lot of work but that's why they call me Micro-Man .......

Wesley
Old 03-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Sup Wesley, good luck for the weekend man. Do me favour btw? Say hi to my man Tim Mohr for me, I aint spoke to him for a while but send him my regards
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Micro-Man
c0sie,

Sorry the Factory Drivers haven't done a better job talking it up on the Forums......But there are quiet a few top percentage here, including myself, that do post a lot when we can.....that being said......

To answer some of your questions....the difference between the 11.1v and the 7.4v has already been answered here.....

I can not speak for Hacker because I run for Castle and for what I will be running at the Nationals this year will dictate what track is set up....
If it is tight and technical like it has been in years past, I will most likely use the Castle 5400kv with MaxAmps 860 or 1100 2s lipo's.....Because you get better low end tork and do not need the high end as much....
If the track set up is fast like it was last year then I will grab all that I can and run the Castle 8000kv with MaxAmps 860 or 1100 2s lipo's..... I only run the 7.4v set up here because of the CG and weight diference....no need for the 11.1v..
I will post again during next week and let you know what my final set up's are on all of my vehicles for the Nationals.....
I will be running: Stk 2wd, Mod 2wd, Mod 4wd, Stk buggy, Mod buggy, Monster Truck, and Open Rally..... A lot of work but that's why they call me Micro-Man .......

Wesley
There are some guys (kids) that run 3S packs at club races at Madness, but they're usually the ones flying off the track.
Micro-Man.......looking forward to rubbing some paint with ya in the MT and Rally open class. I'd stop by and chat with ya, but with 7 classes, you're going to be one very busy boy.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

No problem c0sie.I will let Tim know.....He and I will be arriving at the track Tuesday to start practicing.......

Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Dieselpower.......Never am I to busy to stop and say hello or even help someone out with anything..... That is really what this race is all about.
Having fun playing in our hobby and Making friends.....
Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

I hear ya. I hate it when I'm eyeballin someones pit table and they get all erked like I'm going to steal their speed secrets. I'll be up there from Tuesday on so I'll definately hit ya up.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
I hear ya. I hate it when I'm eyeballin someones pit table and they get all erked like I'm going to steal their speed secrets. I'll be up there from Tuesday on so I'll definately hit ya up.
haha, who does that?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

No locals T-man......just a few select "teams" that come up for the Nats. Come to think of it......one "team" and I won't say who just to keep thngs civilized. Actually it was only one dude so 1 bad seed out of 300 ain't bad. Chris and Dean run a top notch facility and event(s). The announcing should be a bit more edgy this year with Monty on the mic. Only a week away and I can't friggin wait.....just wish I could've made the last couple of club races to work the bugs out of my rides.

Chris, if you're refering to the top drivers at nats, well, most are factory guys (tony phalen, josh anderson, brad geck)....dudes that are usually to busy (hopefully rather then bothered). There are, of course, the local hot-shots that can keep up with the factory guys.....cough, cough....ttppll, Zakk Barry, Tony priolo and Chris Marcy. I know that Tony Phalen is on one18th often as is ttppll. As for the others....who knows. I'm just always on and rantin because I can't go to work and I'm scratching with the cabin fever.