1/18 off road buggy suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/18 off road buggy suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

I recomend the Vendetta or the Detta ST. They have the same chassis and drive train. Big advantage over the others due to sealed pinion/spur. Debris will get in the mesh and destroy spur of the Asc. RC18 and others with exposed gear.
The ST is the better of the two. With the ST you get a PBS front end, which is considerably stronger than the buggy front end. ST can be converted to buggy by changing body and wheel/tires. Some have suggested that it is not a buggy in this configuration... bah! By that thinking, one would have to say that the RC18b is also not a buggy. The 18b and 18t are exactly the same width (only differences are in the body, wing and front wheel/tire). Stock 18b is considerably wider than the stock Vendetta buggy. They are nearly the same when the Detta sports the ST suspension, while retaining the buggy wheels. Much of the STs' width is in the off-set of the wheel.
When I first converted my buggy to the ST style suspension, I lost a fair amount of steering (especially on-power). After working on the set-up awhile, steering is back to what I had before, but with the bonus of greater potential corner speed (in high-grip conditions) and better stabillity.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well, I just bought a very slightly used and upgraded detta buggy. Got it for about 140.00...it also includes the original radio gear and electronics along with the description below that I pulled from the ebay ad.

this vehicle has only been raced 2 times on carpet only. Never off road - Never in dirt....This Buggy is in Perfect condition...Futaba 230cr speedo, (2) 1400mah 6 cell batteries, green vendetta motor, aluminum knuckles, aluminum CVD's, aluminum wheel hexes, adjustable turnbuckles, swaybars, front and rear ball driffs, 3deg toe block, springs.

w/ all the hop-ups I think I got a decent deal. What do you think about the hop-ups and also what would I need to change it to a st front end.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like you done good!
I would not recomend the aluminum CVDs or the 3 degree toe blocks. The Alum CVDs were prone to bending, they offer steel ones that last a long time. The 3 deg blocks will take away too much steering for me, but give it a try.
Get all the shock springs so you will have more tuning options.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Initiate

One car that hasn't been mentioned is the Tek18. It's a upgrade to the rc18t/b but, is really a different car. The problems people were having there RC18's at the track going straight was the slop in the steering. This chassis fixes it by using an Xray style single bell steering system. The other major difference between it and any other 1/18 out is the placement of the motor and batteries. The motor has been moved to the front and the batteries are in saddles in the rear. It looks more like a mini B44 and is a great racer, the balance is better and with the added weight at the rear it smooths out the rough parts of the track. You don't need to buy a RC18 before the Exotek. I built from scratch and couldn't be happier. http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_N...ONVERSION.html
Old 03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duneland
Sounds like you done good!
I would not recomend the aluminum CVDs or the 3 degree toe blocks. The Alum CVDs were prone to bending, they offer steel ones that last a long time. The 3 deg blocks will take away too much steering for me, but give it a try.
Get all the shock springs so you will have more tuning options.
actually 3 deg toe in in the rear.. helps keep the car stable when traveling at high speeds.. and if you need more steering just give some toe out in the front.. also having postive caster helps..

i have noticed a huge difference with the 3 degrees toe in,,,, ithout the car is a strugle to keep straight... not sure how it is on carpet.. but on dirt its a different story..

but give it a try,, with and without it.. everyone driving style is different...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. The buggy should be here in 4 days. I see that duratrax is coming out with a front end conversion for the buggy...if I need it I can pick that up. Any suggestions on where to find parts cheap? I'm sure I could use some springs and pinions. I also think I'll need some new wheels. The buggy comes w/ the green motor...are they rebuildable? Also, do the shocks usually leak or do they stay sealed? Again, thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recomend the Vendetta or the Detta ST. They have the same chassis and drive train. Big advantage over the others due to sealed pinion/spur. Debris will get in the mesh and destroy spur of the Asc. RC18 and others with exposed gear.
The ST is the better of the two. With the ST you get a PBS front end, which is considerably stronger than the buggy front end. ST can be converted to buggy by changing body and wheel/tires. Some have suggested that it is not a buggy in this configuration... bah! By that thinking, one would have to say that the RC18b is also not a buggy. The 18b and 18t are exactly the same width (only differences are in the body, wing and front wheel/tire). Stock 18b is considerably wider than the stock Vendetta buggy. They are nearly the same when the Detta sports the ST suspension, while retaining the buggy wheels. Much of the STs' width is in the off-set of the wheel.
When I first converted my buggy to the ST style suspension, I lost a fair amount of steering (especially on-power). After working on the set-up awhile, steering is back to what I had before, but with the bonus of greater potential corner speed (in high-grip conditions) and better stabillity.
That IS not the same argument. If Anderson had released the ST in the same dimensions at the MB4, or vice versa. Your argument would have merit. They were not, hence it does not apply.

As it is, Duratrax is finally releasing the PBS conversion for the Detta in the coming months.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Oxy, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but what are you talking about? What does it matter, in what way Anderson released their products?
What matters, is the configuration of the cars that hit the track. Are you seriously suggesting that one should not be able to make any changes to a car, even when those changes are in keeping with the way others come out of the box?
I say that a Detta with ST suspension, is still a buggy, so long as it sports a buggy body and buggy sized wheel/tires.
At least as vallid as Associateds' contention that the RC18b is a buggy.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oxy, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but what are you talking about? What does it matter, in what way Anderson released their products?
What matters, is the configuration of the cars that hit the track. Are you seriously suggesting that one should not be able to make any changes to a car, even when those changes are in keeping with the way others come out of the box?
How? How are those changes "keeping the same" as others come?

The RC18B was released after the RC18T. They both used the same suspension which is about the same as a Vendetta. The ST was released after the Vendetta and is much wider than the Vendetta or RC18B or T. That is not in "keeping the same". If the ST had been the same width with Truck tires and a Truck body as a Vendetta, you argument would have merit.

There is no agree to disagree. Your simply trying to make a correlation that logically doesn't work. Period. End of story.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
How? How are those changes "keeping the same" as others come?

The RC18B was released after the RC18T. They both used the same suspension which is about the same as a Vendetta. The ST was released after the Vendetta and is much wider than the Vendetta or RC18B or T. That is not in "keeping the same". If the ST had been the same width with Truck tires and a Truck body as a Vendetta, you argument would have merit.

There is no agree to disagree. Your simply trying to make a correlation that logically doesn't work. Period. End of story.
I gotta agree with Oxy on this.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Oxy, you are quite wrong. The order in which these vehicles were released is completely irrelevant. Here are some facts that are relevant; With Detta rims and ST suspension, the Vendetta is about the SAME width as the 18b. That most deffinately is relevant. Sorry pal, it's not the 'end of story'! Why do you think the DTX driver should not be allowed to run his buggy the same width as the Asc. driver? The 18b measures 182-184mm depending on toe, tire, and caster. With ST suspension, a Detta buggy is adjustable from about 180-184mm. Pardon me for thinking it is 'logical' to run similar dimensions on buggies in competition with each other (or at least having the option).
Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jaejw1
actually 3 deg toe in in the rear.. helps keep the car stable when traveling at high speeds.. and if you need more steering just give some toe out in the front.. also having postive caster helps..

i have noticed a huge difference with the 3 degrees toe in,,,, ithout the car is a strugle to keep straight... not sure how it is on carpet.. but on dirt its a different story..

but give it a try,, with and without it.. everyone driving style is different...
If I were running on dirt, I would have the 3 degree blocks on hand. Doesn't work so good on carpet or canvas. Matter of fact, I would like to have some 1 degree blocks. I have already increased anti-squat by quite a bit and added lead to increase on-power steering.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Oxy, you are quite wrong. The order in which these vehicles were released is completely irrelevant. Here are some facts that are relevant; With Detta rims and ST suspension, the Vendetta is about the SAME width as the 18b. That most deffinately is relevant. Sorry pal, it's not the 'end of story'! Why do you think the DTX driver should not be allowed to run his buggy the same width as the Asc. driver? The 18b measures 182-184mm depending on toe, tire, and caster. With ST suspension, a Detta buggy is adjustable from about 180-184mm. Pardon me for thinking it is 'logical' to run similar dimensions on buggies in competition with each other (or at least having the option).

About the same is not the same! LOL

And it does matter when a vehicle came out as one, the Mini T, set the standard. AE and X-Ray followed it... Anderson DID NOT!

You really have no clue
Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

If I were running on dirt, I would have the 3 degree blocks on hand. Doesn't work so good on carpet or canvas. Matter of fact, I would like to have some 1 degree blocks. I have already increased anti-squat by quite a bit and added lead to increase on-power steering.
Who races on canvas? A Redneck?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tyreguy
About the same is not the same! LOL

And it does matter when a vehicle came out as one, the Mini T, set the standard. AE and X-Ray followed it... Anderson DID NOT!

You really have no clue
Do you have a point in there somwhere? Aparently you are incapable of reading the dimensions I posted (actual measurements not guesses or copying someones mistakes). I use the term 'about' because both can be adjusted to vary the width slightly. I also posted an actual range for both. Since you can put more than one 18b on the track and have different widths for each (due to different tires, camber or toe settings), the term 'about' seemed appropriate.
Let me set you straight on a couple things, Mini-t came first (at least you got that right), but AE did not follow the standards set by Losi. Their RC18t is longer(by 10mm!) and is 4 wd. That is hardly following a standard. At least they made the wheel/tires compatible.
So, feel free to ignore the facts and resort to personal insults.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.