Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
MRL - Micro Racing League >

MRL - Micro Racing League

MRL - Micro Racing League

Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Default MRL - Micro Racing League

Okay Gentlemen --

The idea was mentioned, and now the thought/idea looks to be a reality. I have made several phone calls today, and it looks as though we will have a multi-track racing club that races at 3 different tracks, all in a points chase for some pretty great prizes. The organization as I like to call it MRL or Micro Racing League would race once a month at each of the indoor tracks in our area. The tracks are: Mimi's 'The Track', HobbyTown USA of Fredrick MD's 'The Coliseum', and HobbyTown USA of Glen Burnie MD's 'Race Haus'.

This points series is designed to bring together a large group of micro racers and challenge each other on every surface and style of race track. High bite ozite, medium bite commercial carpet, and high bite asphalt...open and flowing layouts, big long backstretches to "Let it eat" and some short, tight and technical layouts as well.

We're looking for 6 points races through the course of a winter season, of course we're off to a late start this year so we would like to hold 3 events, one at each track. Since we are starting late this year, there will really be no prizes, just basically a test run to try things out as far as stock motors/etc. on each type of track in effort to make racing fun for next year.

Speaking of next year... If this year's 3 races are a success, we are looking forward to holding 2 events at each track with one throw out, that one being your worst finish, or no show. I already have some great prizes in the works from RC America, and I just spoke with Denmark who will check on a few more prizes from his sponsors as well. So keep an eye out, winning one of these series' may include a very very nice prize.

As far as classes are concerned, I'm looking into racing two classes for the moment. One class of Modified, and one class of Stock. Both classes will be 1/18 4wd sedans on foams (Micro RS4, Xray M18, WWS Pro, and Nanda NRX-18). Mod would be any cells, 6 cell max, lipo's and brushless allowed. Stock (tentatively) would be any 180 size stock motor (with flats) and limited to 5 cell. These seem to be the most commonly used rules for the Micro Nats each year. Some of them I'm sure we will need to work on and improve, but this is what we're looking at right now.

More info and a schedule is on the way as I work things out with tracks, and sponsors. Feel free to ask any questions. We're looking forward to racing 1/18 with you all.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Lets do this!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

From some of the feedback I'm getting this is already shaping up to showcase some of the best talent in EP racing in the East Coast! Current 1/18 Mod Champ Mike Gee, always an contender, and due for a win - James Denmark, and past Mod Champ John Hoffman. As well as future micro racers who have spent many years representing the east coast well in 1/10 and 1/12 ep racing. This half-season is just the test, next winter season is Game On!

Many sponsors are in the works. The list keeps growing. Also the potential for a few new products from a few big players in the r/c racing industry. 1/18 sedan racing may never be the same. But it will still be fun
Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

NANO RCz!!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

this sounds good, you should also think about dirt, rc18's should not be run on carpet. the 180 is ok, but the 45t motor is better. 2wd pan classes?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

I have no problem with starting an off road class as well. Just don't seem to be any dirt tracks in the area. The only way we could run off road is to run them on carpet/asphalt with some sort of removable jumps. If there is an interest, it will be run
Old 12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

The Ratzas boys against the xray m18s, al over again this could be a great summer!!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Wow, I didn't think we'd have people willing to travel so far already to race micro's with us! That's awesome though

Unfortunately, since we're getting started so late in the winter season, I plan to get one race at each track before carpet season is over. The series will bein full swing next year for sure though. Already some great things in the works, maybe even some good prizes for this shortened test-season.

Good to see others' suggestions and opinions on things.

More info is coming, probably after this weekend when our local club gets together to discuss upcoming race dates, etc.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Might want to drop the Mushroom Bowl a line too, we've been getting alot of 18th scalers there this winter. Maybe get an event there too?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks. Please pm me a number I can contact somebody at about this. The more the merrier
Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Number is on their website:

http://www.mushroombowl.com/

Might want to post up in our TrackTalk forum about this too (click "TrackTalk" on the homepage... you have to sign up to post), that's usually the best way to let everyone there know.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any chance of posting the actual location of those tracks? All depending on their location some of the crowd from up here in Canada may be interested. Thanks Punk.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

robbie-
we may want to think about classes for carpet trucks and scalpels as well (recoils and 18r's too). Tim h. from psycho cells also suggested a double points race in the shedule that could not only be a big race that could draw some more attendance, but also allow the series runners to make up points if they miss more than the one throw out

peirre -
Glen burnie hobbytown "race haus"- 6714d, ritchie hwy, glen burnie md, 21061
the track "mimis"- 16806 Oakmont Ave., Gaithersburg, MD, 20877
Fredrick hobbytown "the colluseum" - 19C North East Street Fredrick MD 21701

hope this helps
Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

hmmm...great idea. That'll spice things up a bit!

For now I was just looking at doing tc's because there aren't a large number of racers in the area yet. The interest is growing and many 1/10 and 1/12 racers are getting involved. One step at a time for now, but those other classes are definitely in the future. If we get a few that show up, we'll race them as well. I'm definitely not turning anyone away.

And thanks for replying for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Robbie,
I know this might be alot to ask, but any thoughts on a traditional promod format (brushed motor, nimh cells) and an open class(brushless, lipo)? Alot of us from up north who run micro very often are more into the brushed-nimh format of racing. Just a thought, let me know.

ryan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.