Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
MRL - Micro Racing League >

MRL - Micro Racing League

MRL - Micro Racing League

Old 12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Robbie,
I'm waiting on the trophy contact to call me back. Otherwise, the trophies will be covered.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Robbie,
You all should, seriously, consider the 300 series motors for stock. Say, the Xray Micro Motor 370 Supersize #389163 - to keep it simple. The 180 series motor is DOG - SLOW!. Even on a short track like the Mushrtoom Bowl, you're waiting a half an hour to get down the straightaway! You guys would fall asleep and fall off the driver's stand trying to run that motor at Miumi's (or any track with a straight bigger than 30 ft.). In my opinion, it's really just a starter motor for beginners - not suitable for competitive racing.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

I hear ya Quinn. May I ask how long the Bowl's backstretch is?

I know we run the Mini Mauler 180 motor from HobbyZone. I don't know why, but that motor is definitely faster than the HPI, Orion, or Xray 180.

What all sizes of motors are there? 300, 370, and 380 correct?

What was the motor they ran as 'Stock' at the Nats?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by punkboy
I hear ya Quinn. May I ask how long the Bowl's backstretch is?

I know we run the Mini Mauler 180 motor from HobbyZone. I don't know why, but that motor is definitely faster than the HPI, Orion, or Xray 180.

What all sizes of motors are there? 300, 370, and 380 correct?

What was the motor they ran as 'Stock' at the Nats?
Not sure of the exact length. If, I had to guess, I'd say somewhere between 30 to 40 ft. James Demark can probably tell you what motor they ran at the Mini Nats and different motor sizes avail. or currently being used by racers. To my knowledge, you have the 180, 280, 300, 370, 380. 3-Dee should be able to clear things up, though.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Robbie,

The stock motor we ran at On Road Nats was the Reedy 19T Stump Puller. I agree that this is a tough one to decide. On one hand the 180 motor would allow for less expense, which is always nice. While on the other hand allowing a larger sized motor would keep the racing a little more exciting, but that comes at a little more cost. I am having a tough time with this one as I would like to keep the cost down, but my gut is telling me that people would like to keep a faster pace (I know I do). I'm not quite saying a motor like the sump puller is the answer, but since you are combining Brushed Mod and Brushless together, giving the Stock Class a motor that can be tuned might give an outlet to your die hard brushed motor guys. I'm not saying that we have to follow the lead of what they ran up at Nats, as this is it's own series. However, running a 19T motor would keep things standard with Nats and isn't that what stock class is all about? Keeping things standard.

Tim
Old 12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know there isn't much tuning. But the Graupner Speed 300 6V is plenty fast for a stock/spec class. Lasts a long time. Cheap to replace. (Just throwing it out there for you all)
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

There are a couple things I would like to do differently, like allow 6 cell 700 mah 2/3aa batteries in stock. Those alone make the cars a few tenths of a second quicker per lap on a 180 and they weigh less too, which balances out the car better. That is something I hope to introduce at a later date. For now I want to make it easy for everyone to participate.

The motor situation for stock is in the works. Whatever we end up going with will be what we run as "Stock" for every track we go to. I don't think it's fair to make people have to buy and keep 2 different size motors or more to run at different tracks. I think 280 will be the smallest that we would go for. 180 is pretty much out of the picture.

Oh yea, I spoke with Bill (Owner of Full Throttle Motorsports) today. This race is shaping up to be huge for every class. Chances are there will be well over 100 entries. He was fine with the normal $15 entry fee for Micro guys, but this comes at a price. The other classes will be receiving trophies and door prizes. I opted out of those for the lower entry fee in an effort to keep the cost down to those that wish to race multiple classes. Besides, this was kind of a last minute deal, and I don't think it's totally fair to just jump into it like that.

Also, since the turnout will be high for all the other classes, the truck class is sort of iffy. IF we have the room to put them in the schedule, then they're in, but IF the turnout is too high, and Mimi and/or Bill don't feel comfortable adding them in along with our already 2 additional classes, then I'm sorry, but we won't be able to run them this time.

Please keep in mind, I chose this event as our debut to get the word out there, and to put on a good show and hopefully draw more micro racers. Next year we will have our own race dates (dates that aren't shared with another big race at each track) so there should be no such issues.

Oxy - Where can I find that motor? Is it similar to the Orion Big Block? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed300.htm

Hobby Lobby is one of the big importers/distributors for Graupner.

I think the Orion is just a renamed version with a X2 price for the sticker. There is the stock rc18t 370 motor as well. Not as fast as the Graupner, but easily available.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Robbie - I still think 5cell stock is the way to go. I'm sure they would have no problem powering a 280 motor (if you decide that is best for all tracks). Most people are set up for 5c stock already. Just a thought.

-Shaun 'Hot Rod' Hopkins
Old 12-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the ae 280 like i mentioned on 5c 2/3As. while the AAs are cheap. i know i couldnt secure enuff cells to make every1 happy (min 2pks for those who dont have em already). and in addition to a motor, its not right to make them buy packs for this event and they might not use em for their local races. who knows. if u want me to look, i can see how many i can secure, but i gotta know by race time 2mrw.

R
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Ok, here's how I see things.

All the big micro races run 5 cell 2/3A with whatever motor they chose to be fast/slow enough to be considered "Stock". My home track has A LOT of loyal racers that go very fast on 6 cell 2/3AA's and a Mini Mauler 180 motor. While we from Glen Burnie know that this combination is fast, the rest of the micro racing scene is doing something different. I say we (Glen Burnie racers) give that a try for the series. Start out with what the vast majority is doing, make it easier for racers from other areas to join in on what we've got going on.

Tentative rules for stock are 5 cell 2/3A's and a 280 sized closed end bell motor. This is something we are going to try. If we all agree that it is either too slow or too fast we will all work together, discuss our options, and make a call from there to make the racing better for everyone.

I just ask that everyone please give our offer a chance. If it is boring and you don't have fun, do let myself or Denmark know. We are willing to find something that will make it fun. The rules can change later, but for now we need some place to start and that combo seems to be the best overall.

I hope to see you all at Mimi's on the 12th and 13th. It'll be good to see everyone racing Micros, and to finally be able to get some wheel time and experience on this topic.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think a 280 on 5 cells should be fine. At nats the pan car stock was the asc. 370, and those guys seemed fairly quick, might be fine at mimis but too much for GB i think. the 280 should be a good balance between speed, longevity, and cost (around 10 bux for the ASC. one). For packs it could be either 2/3 a or aa, whatever floats the boat.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Denmark is testing the 280 on 5 cells at Mimi's tomorrow. We'll know soon enough if it is fast enough to be considered "stock"
Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WHAT

As Robbie said, today is test day. Arv and I will be at mimi's today, 12 until.
If any one wants to come out and get your micro dialed, come on out, if you need help, I will do what I can to help (batteries, tires or what ever).

Everyone is offering great ideas for the league, and we will keep them in mind through out the season. what we would like to do is get an idea for who will be showing up for the full throttle race to run micro. Then some time during that weekend we can get together and have a face to face, so write your ideas down, so we don't miss them.

If there are any questions please fell free to PM Robbie, Mike Webb, or myself.

ROLL CALL
WHERE IS EVERYONE Can't make it John Hoffman (nitro Florida)
Sean Patterson (nitro Florida)
1. DENMARK
2. DODGE
3. WEBB
4. ARV
5. TOM K

THANKS DENMARK
Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Hey guys,

Just to clear up any confusion. We are offering a stock class at the Mimi's race. It will be a 280 motor with 5 cell 2/3A's. Denmark tested this combo today with great results. Motor temps never reached 90*, and according to 3Dee, power was good. These motors seem to do well for RPM.

We will also be running open Mod. Brushed / BL, Lipo / 2/3A's, any combo is legal in Mod.

Like Denmark said, if you have any ideas and/or opinions, please feel free to contact Mike Webb, Denmark, or myself.

Thanks, see you all in 2 weeks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.