MRL - Micro Racing League

MRL - Micro Racing League

Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WHAT

Originally Posted by R.Dalnogare
Robbie,
I know this might be alot to ask, but any thoughts on a traditional promod format (brushed motor, nimh cells) and an open class(brushless, lipo)? Alot of us from up north who run micro very often are more into the brushed-nimh format of racing. Just a thought, let me know.

ryan
Whats up Ryan.
For the end of this winter season we are just gonna stick with stock and mod/ open. Only because this will be a test trial for next year pending on the turn out this year. If it kicks off the way we think it will, then we will look into other classes (scalpel, truck, and recoil) maybe.

Denmark
(if u aint rub n u aint race n)
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

To kinda repeat what deebo said, I think we'd like to keep it simple for now, get a feel for who all is really going to be into it, and what we can do to make it even, fair, and fun for everyone.

Thanks for the idea. That is definitely something we can look into.

As far as news goes so far I've been able to recruit the help of Denmark since he was kind enough to offer taking care of rules, rules changes, and teching. Also, I spoke with a local racing family, the Sheckells. Kevin has offered to take care of trophies for the series. That was something I was a little unsure about up until last night. So far it sounds promising since he mentioned starting off with 4' trophies

I hope to have a few dates picked out for each track by early next week. A bunch of us are meeting at the track in Glen Burnie to discuss race weekends and schedules, so this will be a great time to get some opinions on a few things here and there. As soon as I have something together, I will post it up.

Thanks guys, keep the inquiries coming
Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, one more quick item.

As I mentioned before, RC America is in for next season ('08-'09) and donating a micro kit or two as prizes for the series. I spoke with Dave 'Scooter' Evans at Tekin today, and they are also in for next year. James Denmark and Mike Gee have both spoken to Team Scream and Psycho Cells respectively and both companies are interested in supporting the points series as well.

On that note, I'm non-stop talking with companies that I work with and support while racing my 1/10 TC. I can't garauntee anything, but since working on getting this show moving and promoted, and getting feedback from you guys who keep showing great interest, I've been able to spark a little interest in some companies who are not very involved in the micro scene yet. If things keep going how they are looking, you just might see some very nice new products become available to the public. Let's keep it hot. There is still a lot of growing left to do!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Default what

Robbie Good news, I just spoke with a rep (Joe) for Castle Creations, who stated to me that they would be more than happy to donate some prizes for next years micro league.

So far looks like we have great sponsor and much suport from the m18 folks, thanks guys

1. Team Scream
2. Castle Creations
3. Psyco Cells
4. RC America
5. Tekin

Denmark
(drive it like you stole it)
Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

The first warm-up race for the MRL will be run at Mimi's 'The Track' in Gaithersburg MD on the same weekend as the Full Throttle Race, Jan. 11-13th. The track is open Friday the 11th for practice, Saturday we will run 3 rounds of quals and Sunday will be a 4th final round an the Mains.

I am working on contacting Mimi to verify the entry fee for the weekend. It seems she is closed today.

Check out the event thread here!

If you plan on attending the F/T race, and have a micro, bring it on out. The more that show up, the better the future will be!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Robbie i'm game for Trucks. Whether it be this year or next year matters not to me, but i would love to race the 18t, i'm sure kevin wouldn't mind running his, i think he's been itchin to do so @ the haus, and i'm sure there are others that would be interested, (eh-hem, a certain seamen kling we can mention, lol)

-Shaun 'Hot Rod' Hopkins
Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Robbie,

First of all I just want to say that this is really cool that you are putting this series together. This is exactly what Micro Touring needs right now, to carry the momentum from On Road Nats and keep things going. I am looking forward to this first event in a couple weeks! When mike G. originally emailed me the details, I thought it was a one day event but it now looks like it is a two day event. Is that correct? Are all the race dates going to be two day events, or did this one to kick off the Series just work out that way?

Tim Haskins
Team Psycho Cells
Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Robbie,

First of all I just want to say that this is really cool that you are putting this series together. This is exactly what Micro Touring needs right now, to carry the momentum from On Road Nats and keep things going. I am looking forward to this first event in a couple weeks! When mike G. originally emailed me the details, I thought it was a one day event but it now looks like it is a two day event. Is that correct? Are all the race dates going to be two day events, or did this one to kick off the Series just work out that way?

Tim Haskins
Team Psycho Cells
Old 12-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Tim,

As for the First race date.. it just happens that the local track is having a 2 day race event. FULL THROTTLE sponsored @ THE TRACK in Gaithersburg MD. There is also a thread under RACING.
Why not have the race there, since it will be a 2 day event.. already.

We didnt realized that the interest is huge for this... we thought it was just a local racing league that was going to get involved. BUT..WOW!! i guess its gonna be better than expected!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!!
Details will be posted as things are worked out..BTW the track is big... its 90x60???
Arvin
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 AM

full throttle motorsports was already having a carpet challenge at the track (also known as 'mimis'). the previous mth they had a charity race @ the coliseum in frederick. a group of us from glen burnie, includin mikeG, showed up to showcase the 18s w/great affect. they let us fun b/c of the cool idea and b/c it was for charity. the carpet challenge is jan11-13 (11th is practice). bill dolch and mimi have allowed to jump in w/the rest of the 1/10 and 1/12 proceedings that day. tenative to run BOTH stock and mod (stock-control motor and mod will be unlimited). as glen burnie guys have more than enuff to run both classes on their own in addition to gettin 'track' guys, 'coliseum' guys and others in general on the idea. should make for a good show indeed. perhaps we can even snag aaron wilson down from kranzel's for a wkend and let em run on the rug too (not sure if he has a 1/18 tourer).

anyway, gotta give robbie a hand for seeing a void and gettin the ball rollin that will drop right in and fill it. the kid has already gotten some ribbing and grief from others in rc community around here for investing time and effort (and even racing) these lil turds, as if its not manly enuff. but he stuck to it and you know the nay-sayers are gonna be kickin themselves over it.

while every other scale is whining bout lipo and brushless, weights, rules, race times, is this stock or this stock. the 1/18s...well every1 runs this motor in stock and u cant do anythin to em and their 15bux cheap. every1 runs the same batts, and their 10bux total, they all go 8min and if u want a brushless and lipo, well then thats what mod is for, and people run that too.

besides, where else can u see a touring car wheelie off start line

R
Old 12-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How about adding Kranzel's and the Mushroom Bowl to the full schedule, next winter?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, I would run the trucks onroad with out the jumps. That is what a lot of guys are use to running and that way alot of rc18r's can run. This will bring out alot of new guys and get them into racing without breaking and getting pissed. I like the other rules but, you guys should run mod as mod and stock as stock! Don't seprate the classes to much or we will have 3 or 4 people in each class. Change that stock motor to the 300 size!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton
Hey guys, I would run the trucks onroad with out the jumps. That is what a lot of guys are use to running and that way alot of rc18r's can run. This will bring out alot of new guys and get them into racing without breaking and getting pissed. I like the other rules but, you guys should run mod as mod and stock as stock! Don't seprate the classes to much or we will have 3 or 4 people in each class. Change that stock motor to the 300 size!!!!
I agree!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

WOW!!!

First off, thanks guys for showing interest, sharing your opinions and everything. I appreciate all of it.

Tim -

I appreciate you stepping up and offering to help out. Gee told me that you suggested having one weekend set aside as a double points day and turn that one into a big event. I like the idea, and hopefully we can have that grow into a 2 day event of it's own. For this first race we are just 'piggy backing' off of the Full Throttle race that was already on Mimi's schedule. I figured that since a lot of the Full Throttle guys are into micro's and will probably already be attending, this opens up another class that they can run, and have fun in as well. Plus, it's an excellent chance to show off how well these cars really perform, and how much fun they can be. Thanks for the help and the kind words. Hopefully we can race with you one day soon.

Arv and Ryan -

Thanks for replying, and for the kind words. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the track soon.

Quinn -

Trust me, I've thought hard about adding those two tracks. I would absolutely love to have them on the schedule. If things can go well enough for this 'warm up' season, then I just may give them a call and push adding them to the schedule. So, if you guys can make my races this season, make sure you bring your friends too. If our guys know there is competition up there, we can work something out. Of course, I would need to talk to Denmark and Webb as well as the track owners here to make sure it would be ok to take 2 dates up your way. I'm looking forward to racing a micro up there. I had a blast at Kranzals the last time I was there (ORL2 race a couple years ago with the Pro4)

Scooby -

I wasn't sure about what the demand for trucks would be like, so I wanted to stick with TC for now. I can't say for sure about trucks for the F/T race because the turnout will already be so large. I would like to add the trucks to the schedule, but I don't want to screw around too much with what Bill already has set up. I tell ya what, let me talk to Bill and find out if he's cool with adding that class to his schedule. If he's cool with it, then I'm all for it. I'll let you know the word as soon as I get it. Also, I agree about keeping classes to a minimum. Stock will be one motor. No variation of size or design. The problem we have right now is that I don't know what size motor will be good for all the tracks we plan to race at. Mimi's track is huge for a micro, and our track in Glen Burnie is very small, about half the length, and a third of the width. I want to set this up to run the best stock/spec motor for all the tracks we will be racing at. In short, I want a fast enough motor for Mimi's 90' backstretch, and a slow enough motor for Glen Burnie's 50' backstretch. I'm sure that anything that is good for both of those tracks will be good at Fredrick, as well as Kranzals and Mushroom Bowl. I don't want stock to be overwhelming to beginners because they are where the future of r/c racing is at.

I'm open to all feedback. Please remember though, this is our first attempt at putting something like this together with such variation in track sizes and conditions. Keep working with us, and this will grow into something huge. It's already a big deal
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM

stock should be set such that people could all run that same plain motor, but more importantly in terms of cost. we have cart blanche unlike other scales in that eventually could get it to point where every1 uses 700mah 2/3AA cells (7.2v) that could go 5min on any of those tracks. 10$/set ready to go, hard to beat. however since other folks have 5cell 2/3A rules in place, have to cater to that as well.

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.