Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak XXL

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default Novak XXL

Ok guys I bought a Novak XXL receiver on ebay for my Futaba 75MHZ AM transmitter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

Yea I probably over paid but at the time there were no other Futaba XXL units listed and it was worth $60 to me for my 18B.

When I got it the sticker on the shrink wrap was pealed off so I couldn’t confirm it was the right unit. Once unwrapped I seen no mention of Futaba on the box but I decided to install it anyway. Well low and behold it wont communicate with my receiver. So I emailed the guy I bought it from the other day saying I think he might have sent me the wrong unit.

This is the response I got today. “The rx we sent you was a Futaba J plug RX. It should work fine. Let Me Know if i can help in anyway.”

Now I already know it is hooked up correctly but not working so I started thinking maybe it is just a factory defect. So I grabbed the box to have another look. The box says “#2575S 75MHZ XXL SANWA AM”. So I looked up SANWA and that seems to be Airtronics. Is that correct? I already emailed the guy from ebay back but I would like to get some other advice.

Thanks, Tom
Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TGA78
Ok guys I bought a Novak XXL receiver on ebay for my Futaba 75MHZ AM transmitter.

Yea I probably over paid but at the time there were no other Futaba XXL units listed and it was worth $60 to me for my 18B.

When I got it the sticker on the shrink wrap was pealed off so I couldn’t confirm it was the right unit. Once unwrapped I seen no mention of Futaba on the box but I decided to install it anyway. Well low and behold it wont communicate with my receiver. So I emailed the guy I bought it from the other day saying I think he might have sent me the wrong unit.

This is the response I got today. “The rx we sent you was a Futaba J plug RX. It should work fine. Let Me Know if i can help in anyway.”

Now I already know it is hooked up correctly but not working so I started thinking maybe it is just a factory defect. So I grabbed the box to have another look. The box says “#2575S 75MHZ XXL SANWA AM”. So I looked up SANWA and that seems to be Airtronics. Is that correct? I already emailed the guy from ebay back but I would like to get some other advice.

Thanks, Tom
Yes, Sanwa means it's for Airtronics(Sanwa is the Japanese name for them), & I'm not sure if it'd be compatible with a Futaba transmitter(there are some brands that are somewhat compatible here & there but I don't remember which ones, & btw this just applies to 75MHz, on 27MHz they all work the same way).....
Old 04-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, thats what I was afraid of. Now to see how this guy handles it.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TGA78

Thanks, Tom

I don't think the Sanwa (Airtronics) will not work with a Futaba. I'd return it and ask the guy to send a Futaba one.

From instruction leaflet

"3. On 75 MHz it is VERY IMPORTANT that you use the
XXL receiver made for your brand of transmitter. The
XXL uses an ultra-narrow band (±7.5kHz) ceramic filter
for 10 kHz channel spacing. Using it with a different
radio brand will result in less than optimum performance.
The frequency tolerance of all crystals other than 75
MHz are close enough that 27, 29, and 40 MHz XXL
receivers are not brand specific.
"
Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Well I got another response from the guy.

“yes it is a airtronics. Didn't we send you a e-mail to make sure it was the right one. I will go back and check. Thanks”

Maybe it was just me but I thought the auction clearly stated it was for a XXL 75MHZ AM Futaba receiver? But anyway I wasn’t contacted before the item was shipped. So I emailed him back and am still waiting to see how this will be resolved. Since I am not even sure he has a Futaba unit to send me. Damn things seem to be rather hard to come by. At this point I would be happy to just return it for a full refund since I am planning to order a 3PM 2.4Ghz Fast setup.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You read it right. Here is what the guy posted in the auction.

The Novak XXL 75MHz AM Receiver is an Extra-Small, Extra-Light Two Channel with Ultra-Narrow Band 10kHz Channel Spacing. FEATURES: Outstanding range performance Superior noise rejection Low voltage operation Solid state reverse voltage protection Designed for Futaba AM Radios DSC Connection into BAT/DSC input slot 120 day warranty INCLUDES: One XXL AM Rx One Novak Mini Catalog One Receiver Operation Manual Three Plastic Crystal Holders Three Capacitors One Warranty Card One Decal Sheet One Piece of 2-sided tape (1"W X 1-7/8"L) REQUIRES: Single Conversion 75MHz Futaba Crystals SPECS: Number of Channels Two 3OIP(Third Order Intercept Point) +4dBm Usable Sensitivity 3.0 microvolts Adjacent Channel Rejection >6dB @ +/- 10.0kHz Voltage Range 3.0 to 10.0V DC Antenna Length 18 inches (45.72cm) Selectivity 6dB down @ +/- 3.0kHz Bandwidth 50dB down @ +/- 7.5kHz Weight 0.48 ounce (13.61 grams) Current Consumption 8.0mA (over full voltage range) Length: 1.29" (3.8cm) Width: 1.11" (2.82cm) Height: 0.53" (1.35cm)
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Caveat Emptor.

This is the kind of thing that made me stop buying RC stuff from ebay.

Now, I only buy used RC gear from here on RCtech. I've bought tons of stuff from people here and not once have I had a problem.