Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Spektrum/AE XPS Micro ESC >

Spektrum/AE XPS Micro ESC

Spektrum/AE XPS Micro ESC

Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spektrum/AE XPS Micro ESC

I decided to go racing today, to avoid a frequency conflict I installed my Spektrum DSM receiver in place of the AE 27 Mhz radio.

First, when binding the receiver, I chose neutral and straight steering as my failsafe mode. I tested it by holding half throttle and the wheels turned to the side, then turned off the transmitter. In a moment the wheels straightend but the motor continued on non-stop. I rebound 5 or 10 times, always with the same result.

The next problem is with the ESC; when I turn on the radio, there is no throttle. I turn off the receiver/ESC, hold the set button down and power up the car. In a second the receiver binds to the transmitter and the motor runs, in the reverse mode. I turn off the car, power it up and now it works in brake only mode. If I turn off the radio system and turn it on again, there is no throttle. The only way the throttle works is to hold the set button while turning on the system.

Another "symptom" is holding the set button down to set the ESC to the throttle trigger endpoints; the instructions say to hold the set button down for at least 3 seconds to go into the setup mode. I held it 30 seconds and it never goes into setup.

When I had the AE radio in the car the setup, and the throttle for that matter, always worked OK.

What is the deal with the Spectrum radio and the AE XPS Micro ESC??
Old 02-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

I was having the same problem till I got a mamba system and it works fine. I want to know what the deal is with that speedcontrol
Old 02-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The XPS is a known - nonworking ESC with Spektrum. There are lots of posts on this on one18th.com. The XPS is looking for a signal within 2 secs and doesnt get it from the Spektrum during that time.

However, If you are willing to simply reset your XPS everytime you run by holding down the set button (with the Spektrum already turned on) while you power up the ESC it WILL work. It is not a big a pain as it would seem after a while. I even have a small hole drilled in my body so I can do it with the body on.

If you go through the setup and you get reverse and only want brakes with no reverse. Just turn off the XPS and reset it again.

Once you get the XPS reset - you can then set up full throttle, neutral, brake, etc...

This is the only fix - unless you change the ESC out (or use the stock radio - which I refuse to do).
Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Thanks for the post bbking9. A co-worker of mine just got into R/C and was having the exact same problem. I knew I had read that this issue was out there, I just couldn't find it. I directed him to RCTech and one18th and he actually found your post.

This is an issue. I wonder if AE is working on it...

Mr.Maim
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to take the opposite side.

I purchased one of the early production run RC18T when they first became available. I dropped in an Orion Big Block motor and used GP1100 cells with the stock radio.

I then switched to a Kyosho Perfex (Airtronics MX-A AM) radio and stock AE receiver. No problem setting up the ESC.

Switched to using my Futaba 3PK with Spektrum. Installed the Spektrum Rx, set up the ESC as usual. No problem. I have been racing this set-up for a few months and never had any problem, works everytime and all the time. (I use the reverse disable function on the ESC for racing.)

???????
Old 05-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

The problem with the AE XPS and spectrum receiver is rather well documented. I think the post I read on it was even here at RC Tech. If I remember right the problem is a delay in a signal being sent and the unit timing out so you end up with the 2 not talking to each other.

The XPS is a decent and small ESC. And the spectrum is very popular so it would be nice if the 2 worked together flawlessly. It would also be interesting to find out why some have the 2 working with no problems while most do not. Maybe a simple setting change like disabled reverse could be the solution? But I doubt it.

I am also not sure the problem is really AE fault. Its not like the XPS is broken, it just expects a response from the receiver and doesn’t get it in time (I think). And even with the popularity of the spectrum receiver I don’t se AE releasing a spectrum compatible unit. I don’t think it is a piece of the market they are really after.

Last edited by TGA78; 05-24-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Here's an unretouched photo of my RC18T with the stock ESC and the Spektrum SR3000 working together in harmony. All the lights are green for Go.

I think the issue is that people are having problems binding the Rx and then setting up the ESC. Try binding the Rx first using a Rx battery pack, then plugging in the ESC to set it up. I had no problems but the Rx was bound to my Tx in my Losi XXX-NT so I never had to rebind it in the RC18T.
Attached Thumbnails Spektrum/AE XPS Micro ESC-ae-spektrum.jpg  
Old 06-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ive got the spectrum SR3000 aswell and cant get mine to work. mine was bonded already in my tc3 i went to the track and someone was there already with my stock frequency so i was goin to put my spectrum in my rc18b but it had the same prob. just would not work. it worked fine one time run around the track for bout 4 min. then turn it off, turned it back on and it wouldnt work again. i dont know if it the 200 dollor car or the 300 radio but something would not work. persanaly i think it sucks i got a 300 dollor radio and cant get it to work with my rc18b marcus
Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Interesting to hear. I just had the same issue with mine. I ended up buying a Novak XRS and now it works fine. If you don't have the cash to buy a new ESC and want to use a spektrum RX it can still be done. I noticed when I held the setup button on the XPS ESC and then turned the car on I was able to get throttle from there. The bad part is that you'll have to do that everytime you want to run it but it works. I think picking up an XRS is the better choice though. The only bad part is that since it's a "sport" ESC of Novak's, once you cut the wires to allow any new plugs (motor/battery) you void the warranty.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daveb
The only bad part is that since it's a "sport" ESC of Novak's, once you cut the wires to allow any new plugs (motor/battery) you void the warranty.
If you do it (not a hack job) and something goes bad in the esc down the road....Novak fixes the esc under warranty.....
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
DCB
Tech Initiate

I have to re-bind every time I use my spektrum/xps, it works fine until I shut it off, re-bind every time...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

I just installed another Spektrum Rx, the Micro, in my RC18T with the stock XPS ESC to replace the Spektrum SR3000 Rx. Bound it to the Tx as usual and all systems are go. Everything works exactly as it's supposed to. I never have had any problems with the ESC and it is an early one that I bought when the RC18T first came out at the end of 2004.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Arrow

Teakin B-1 Rules try it your'll like it!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

could the glitch buster cap help? I had a similar issue in 1/10 scale, put the glitch buster cap on and it cleared it up.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

another note, not with spektrum, but the XPS speed controller. DO NOT use a three cell lipo with it. it will look like a smoke bomb on the fourth of july.
2 cell lipos work fine though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.