Thumbs up Kyosho Mini-Z Series

I don't see a Mini-Z thread here...Time to get the ball rolling

How many of you own a Mini-z here?
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

When are the Stock cars available and what chassis? I need to preorder these with Cort today if they will be available soon.LMK!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Tech Master

mid / end feburary. They are on the MR-015 chassis.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
Tech Master

Airtronics|Kyosho|
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

The resale value on mr-02mm and awd is soo high. I mean its good, because they hold their value. But it still means I cant afford one.

Ok, that was off topic. Here is one on. I think the Mini-Z LIT is, but when will we see a transfer to FM all around? My transmitters are FM, and I don't want to buy a RTR set versus just the chassis. For the amount you sell them for, I cant see why they are still AM (is it because the KO lap system can only intercept AM 27mhz channels?

Oh, and is it true that KO actually produces not only the electronics, but the chassis as well?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Tech Master

Thumbs up

I love the rumors that fly around.

Kyosho manufactures the mini-z, Ko-Propo does the electronics. This fact is even stated on the transmitter.

KoProPo has an FM PCB and Modual for the Mini-Z line.

price so high? A mini-z should sale for about $130 street price(in the USA), unless it has been modded or something.

You can race a Mini-Z and hop-up a Mini-Z just the same as you would a 1/10th touring car. Only difference here is the Mini-Z you can have more than one for the same price of a 1/10th toruing car.

Bodies can be changed for cheaper and easier too. For $25.00 you can change your body, and it will be fully painted and well detailed like a Die Cast model.

Lap Timing, can be done using the AMB-it system or the Core Speedway system. No one that i know of uses the Ko Lap counting system for mini-z's.

I hope I have helped in some way...lol
Tim
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Looking foward to the Nascar class though I don't watch it on TV. I do like the realism of it though. In reply to the other post mini z costing to much. Its the least expensive form of RC racing there is. Our racers usually maintain 2 or 3 and some more race cars for what it use to cost us to run one larger scale.
Rebal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

It just the initial investment making it hard to swallow. For 160 for the awd without full bearings or ball diffs, while a comparable 1/18th is the same price with bearings. I also have no place to race these other than a friends.

Yes, I know the precision is higher in these, and I thought these are still being quality built first class in Japan? So the cost isn't any lower to produce. But it still makes it hard to swallow when you put them side by side to a basic 1/18th or even a Micro-T. I know these others are made in China for cheaper price points and not as quality materials or electronics, but you don't even include a complete set of bearings!

Thats good to know about the KO, but thats separate. You still unless building up a bare chassis from scratch end up paying for a extra pcb, and most likely illegalized at race tracks (not that there is any around here for MiniZ other than my friends L RCP). Versus if Kyosho offered this themselves, it would open up FM to being accepted. In example, I looked at your rules for the Mini-Z cup. All classes must use the Mini-Z PCB. No where is there mention of allowing KO's FM in at least in Mod.

I don't want to leave a bad taste in this thread. I really think they are cool products and a good class. Its just hard for me to swallow since It wont be my main race focus with my limited budget (1/18th). If there is racing locally, then the price becomes more worth it.

If you want to lecture me, take it to my PM, so I dont take any more room in this thread.

I guess I come from more a racing for racing sakes versus "looks like the real thing". So all that scale detail and cost in those bodies really doesn't sway me. Im more interested in performance and even fantasy looking body dynamics as long as it aerodynamically correct. Give me a good lexan body that I can paint versus a highly detailed molded one any day.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary

Thats good to know about the KO, but thats separate. You still unless building up a bare chassis from scratch end up paying for a extra pcb, and most likely illegalized at race tracks (not that there is any around here for MiniZ other than my friends L RCP). Versus if Kyosho offered this themselves, it would open up FM to being accepted. In example, I looked at your rules for the Mini-Z cup. All classes must use the Mini-Z PCB. No where is there mention of allowing KO's FM in at least in Mod.
LOL Come explore mini-z's a bit more. Check them out at MINI-ZRacer.com, check out Atomicmods.com, or PNracing.com. These two sites will give you and idea of the mini-z possiblilites. You can get the RCP tracks through Kyosho, as a hobby shop.
The reason the Ko AD band is not allowed is because it is not legal in the US or Mexico. AM and FM really does not matter, not with out the radios are built now. But being able to use a computer radio does. Futaba, Airtronics, and KoProPo offer radios that will work with the mini-z line. In Mod Class you are allowed to modify the PCB board.

Quote:
If there is racing locally, then the price becomes more worth it.
I see more people in the USA racing Mini-z's, but may be my eyes are glued shut on this one....lol Mini-z's are so cheap to maintain, and race as well as set up. Pm me your state and area code, and who your LHS is.

Quote:
I guess I come from more a racing for racing sakes versus "looks like the real thing". So all that scale detail and cost in those bodies really doesn't sway me. Im more interested in performance and even fantasy looking body dynamics as long as it aerodynamically correct. Give me a good lexan body that I can paint versus a highly detailed molded one any day.
LOL.... That is whats so cool about mini-z's, you get the best of both worlds. You have performance, as well as the scale look. You can get unpainted bodies so you can paint them yourself if you like. It is not any different than painting a Revell Plastic model. Below are a few pics from mini-z owners.

some guys collection

custom paint

someone's modded chassis
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attach...chmentid=21631

a close up of the rear pod

someones pit

someone's AWD modded mini-z

a modded AWD with their computer radio

Just some fun
Airtronics|Kyosho|

Last edited by Tim Johnson; 01-03-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

The mini-z is a blast! My lhs has a nice track, all HS should follow suite... I bet they find it well worth it! I like to run my RML with damper disk (F50 body with engine bay cover removed) set-up its fun. I put some paragon on the tires when I run in the garage and it's hooked. I really dont think you need every upgrade,just get what works and have fun... Mini-z is a great concept.

Thanx Kyosho!... OG in RC