R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Thumbs up Kyosho Mini-Z Series

I don't see a Mini-Z thread here...Time to get the ball rolling







How many of you own a Mini-z here?
__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,500
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

When are the Stock cars available and what chassis? I need to preorder these with Cort today if they will be available soon.LMK!
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Default

mid / end feburary. They are on the MR-015 chassis.
__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Default

__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

The resale value on mr-02mm and awd is soo high. I mean its good, because they hold their value. But it still means I cant afford one.

Ok, that was off topic. Here is one on. I think the Mini-Z LIT is, but when will we see a transfer to FM all around? My transmitters are FM, and I don't want to buy a RTR set versus just the chassis. For the amount you sell them for, I cant see why they are still AM (is it because the KO lap system can only intercept AM 27mhz channels?

Oh, and is it true that KO actually produces not only the electronics, but the chassis as well?
__________________
www.3drcracing.com <<RC Video Game.
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy, Moto Racer | Losi Micro SCT, 8ight Mini
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Thumbs up

I love the rumors that fly around.

Kyosho manufactures the mini-z, Ko-Propo does the electronics. This fact is even stated on the transmitter.

KoProPo has an FM PCB and Modual for the Mini-Z line.

price so high? A mini-z should sale for about $130 street price(in the USA), unless it has been modded or something.

You can race a Mini-Z and hop-up a Mini-Z just the same as you would a 1/10th touring car. Only difference here is the Mini-Z you can have more than one for the same price of a 1/10th toruing car.

Bodies can be changed for cheaper and easier too. For $25.00 you can change your body, and it will be fully painted and well detailed like a Die Cast model.

Lap Timing, can be done using the AMB-it system or the Core Speedway system. No one that i know of uses the Ko Lap counting system for mini-z's.

I hope I have helped in some way...lol
Tim
__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Rebal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 179
Default

Looking foward to the Nascar class though I don't watch it on TV. I do like the realism of it though. In reply to the other post mini z costing to much. Its the least expensive form of RC racing there is. Our racers usually maintain 2 or 3 and some more race cars for what it use to cost us to run one larger scale.
Rebal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

It just the initial investment making it hard to swallow. For 160 for the awd without full bearings or ball diffs, while a comparable 1/18th is the same price with bearings. I also have no place to race these other than a friends.

Yes, I know the precision is higher in these, and I thought these are still being quality built first class in Japan? So the cost isn't any lower to produce. But it still makes it hard to swallow when you put them side by side to a basic 1/18th or even a Micro-T. I know these others are made in China for cheaper price points and not as quality materials or electronics, but you don't even include a complete set of bearings!

Thats good to know about the KO, but thats separate. You still unless building up a bare chassis from scratch end up paying for a extra pcb, and most likely illegalized at race tracks (not that there is any around here for MiniZ other than my friends L RCP). Versus if Kyosho offered this themselves, it would open up FM to being accepted. In example, I looked at your rules for the Mini-Z cup. All classes must use the Mini-Z PCB. No where is there mention of allowing KO's FM in at least in Mod.

I don't want to leave a bad taste in this thread. I really think they are cool products and a good class. Its just hard for me to swallow since It wont be my main race focus with my limited budget (1/18th). If there is racing locally, then the price becomes more worth it.

If you want to lecture me, take it to my PM, so I dont take any more room in this thread.

I guess I come from more a racing for racing sakes versus "looks like the real thing". So all that scale detail and cost in those bodies really doesn't sway me. Im more interested in performance and even fantasy looking body dynamics as long as it aerodynamically correct. Give me a good lexan body that I can paint versus a highly detailed molded one any day.
__________________
www.3drcracing.com <<RC Video Game.
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy, Moto Racer | Losi Micro SCT, 8ight Mini
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary

Thats good to know about the KO, but thats separate. You still unless building up a bare chassis from scratch end up paying for a extra pcb, and most likely illegalized at race tracks (not that there is any around here for MiniZ other than my friends L RCP). Versus if Kyosho offered this themselves, it would open up FM to being accepted. In example, I looked at your rules for the Mini-Z cup. All classes must use the Mini-Z PCB. No where is there mention of allowing KO's FM in at least in Mod.
LOL Come explore mini-z's a bit more. Check them out at MINI-ZRacer.com, check out Atomicmods.com, or PNracing.com. These two sites will give you and idea of the mini-z possiblilites. You can get the RCP tracks through Kyosho, as a hobby shop.
The reason the Ko AD band is not allowed is because it is not legal in the US or Mexico. AM and FM really does not matter, not with out the radios are built now. But being able to use a computer radio does. Futaba, Airtronics, and KoProPo offer radios that will work with the mini-z line. In Mod Class you are allowed to modify the PCB board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
If there is racing locally, then the price becomes more worth it.
I see more people in the USA racing Mini-z's, but may be my eyes are glued shut on this one....lol Mini-z's are so cheap to maintain, and race as well as set up. Pm me your state and area code, and who your LHS is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
I guess I come from more a racing for racing sakes versus "looks like the real thing". So all that scale detail and cost in those bodies really doesn't sway me. Im more interested in performance and even fantasy looking body dynamics as long as it aerodynamically correct. Give me a good lexan body that I can paint versus a highly detailed molded one any day.
LOL.... That is whats so cool about mini-z's, you get the best of both worlds. You have performance, as well as the scale look. You can get unpainted bodies so you can paint them yourself if you like. It is not any different than painting a Revell Plastic model. Below are a few pics from mini-z owners.

some guys collection


custom paint


someone's modded chassis
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attach...chmentid=21631

a close up of the rear pod


someones pit


someone's AWD modded mini-z


a modded AWD with their computer radio



Just some fun
__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|

Last edited by Tim Johnson; 01-03-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

The mini-z is a blast! My lhs has a nice track, all HS should follow suite... I bet they find it well worth it! I like to run my RML with damper disk (F50 body with engine bay cover removed) set-up its fun. I put some paragon on the tires when I run in the garage and it's hooked. I really dont think you need every upgrade,just get what works and have fun... Mini-z is a great concept.

Thanx Kyosho!... OG in RC
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
TFR
Tech Master
 
TFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,767
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Tim, how come you don't have a picture of my pit and car
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho Mini-Z Series-muchmore-pit.jpg   Kyosho Mini-Z Series-atomic-vds.jpg   Kyosho Mini-Z Series-mr-02-ad.jpg  
__________________
Muchmore l AHRP l Xenon l Futaba
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFR
Tim, how come you don't have a picture of my pit and car

LOL.....nice, you have the PN GTP body.......Are going to make it the Mexico race?
__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
The reason the Ko AD band is not allowed is because it is not legal in the US or Mexico. AM and FM really does not matter, not with out the radios are built now. But being able to use a computer radio does. Futaba, Airtronics, and KoProPo offer radios that will work with the mini-z line. In Mod Class you are allowed to modify the PCB board.
Trust me Tim, I'm not a total dork on this stuff. I knew about RCP since it first came out. In fact the friend I want to run with has the L. I cant afford a track financially or physically (rent room) myself. I play Big Scale Racing too much on the computer for my practice time when we cant make it to race 1/18th. I have visited those boards mentioned before aplenty.

I didn't see the KO was a off brand mhz. Which to me is why having a Kyosho branded one would be so nice. I use JR computer radios, so none of those brands do me a bit of good. Let me put it this way. By going FM, the variety of computer radios increase dramatically (well unless your one of those GHZ types). I mean I see Kyosho upgrading the fets on the newest models, but yet wont change modulation? FM cost isn't a great as it once was, and we see more and more RTR with at least FM transmitters. It surprises me that such a first class item for supposedly a first class car (in its scale) would be overlooked!

Quote:
That is whats so cool about mini-z's, you get the best of both worlds. You have performance, as well as the scale look. You can get unpainted bodies so you can paint them yourself if you like.
I know, but they also increase the cost, weight, and raise the CG. Plus, worrying about scratching off paint. Since its a spec class and lexan bodies aren't allowed, it does however make a fair field.

BTW I noticed some of your pictures showing aftermarket hopups.
__________________
www.3drcracing.com <<RC Video Game.
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy, Moto Racer | Losi Micro SCT, 8ight Mini
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
Tim Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,298
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
I didn't see the KO was a off brand mhz. Which to me is why having a Kyosho branded one would be so nice. I use JR computer radios, so none of those brands do me a bit of good.
Sorry, forgot about JR. They also have a 27mhz modual that will work with the mini-z's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
Let me put it this way. By going FM, the variety of computer radios increase dramatically (well unless your one of those GHZ types).
This is such a great idea, but it has only one problem. Al of these radio manufactures choose to have a different type of crystal of some sort. So that makes one radio not compatable with another so you could not do a generic one car fits all radio systems type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
I mean I see Kyosho upgrading the fets on the newest models, but yet wont change modulation?
I don't see the modulation being an obstacle. Most computer radios on the market have a 27mhz module in their line up. With 6 Channels available only in the hobby, I could see and obstacle. But with Radio Shack on every street corner, you can get up to 12 crystal sets within the legal 27 mhz R/C range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
I know, but they also increase the cost, weight, and raise the CG. Plus, worrying about scratching off paint. Since its a spec class and lexan bodies aren't allowed, it does however make a fair field.
Everyone runs the same type of material. There are weight limits at most tracks. You will find that some bodies have a lower CG than others. The low CG bodies will be more popular for racing, for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
BTW I noticed some of your pictures showing aftermarket hopups.
The Mini-z has great aftermaket option parts support. There are so many possibilities in this area. But not all necessary......
__________________
_______________________________________________________
Support your Local Hobby Shop, because you can't race on Ebay!
_______________________________________________________
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
Sorry, forgot about JR. They also have a 27mhz modual that will work with the mini-z's.
They do? I cant find that listed anywhere for a AM 27mhz module for the Z-1/756. Does the KO ex10 work in it is what you mean? I have been wondering.

Also, I cant find an AM 27mhz module for the Airtronics M11 either. Nor the Futaba module either in AM. In fact the only radio I can find is the KO lineup. Am I missing something?

Quote:
This is such a great idea, but it has only one problem. Al of these radio manufactures choose to have a different type of crystal of some sort. So that makes one radio not compatable with another so you could not do a generic one car fits all radio systems type of thing.
As you say, thats crystals. The positive shift VS negative shift is in the crystals. In fact in some instances you can change the shift by using the RX and TX crystals from the opposite manufacturer in your radio. Also, many aftermarket FM receivers these days can compensate for either crystal type. Its not a difficult technology to incorporate.
__________________
www.3drcracing.com <<RC Video Game.
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy, Moto Racer | Losi Micro SCT, 8ight Mini
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Associated, HPI Micro, Kyosho Mini Z, Xray M18, Losi Mini T unsponsored Australia Wanted to Buy 6 03-15-2016 05:37 PM
Wanted-Associated, HPI Micro, Kyosho Mini Z, Xray M18, Losi Mini unsponsored R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-19-2008 03:54 PM
F/S Brand-new Kyosho mini-starter box for Nitro Mini-Inferno 09 nolan_racing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 01-09-2008 08:23 AM
MACH. 28/NEW PS, KYOSHO MINI INFERNO ST/W/3NEW IB1400 8 CELL PACKS, KYOSHO 1./8 BUGGY newbie2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 11-18-2007 05:07 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:52 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net