Mini-96 World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mini-96 World Challenge

Mini-96 World Challenge

Welcome to the home of the Mini-96 World Challenge.

The Mini-96 World Challenge is a virtual 1;28 scale time trial series that can be held anywhere there is a Mini-96 track. The idea is that you can run your cars in the comfort of you own home and compare your performance with others around the world. The hope is that we can build a community of like-minded RC enthusiasts that enjoy the challenge of tuning and racing 1:28 scale cars and showing your performance and set-ups on the world stage. The idea is to progress the scale for both Newbies and Veterans alike.

Once a month a track layout, surface, and direction will be announced. Throughout the month you post your time for the class you are running, if you run more than once in the same class please edit your original post so that you do not have multiple posts from the same participant every month, this is purely for bookkeeping purposes and keeping the information manageable. Discussions on setup and techniques are encouraged as are pictures of your cars.

We will score 6 different classes, Box Stock, Stock, Stock 86, Pro-Stock, and Open 2WD, and Open 4WD. You can run as many or as few classes as you would like, you can run different classes on different days. The rules for the classes are below, for the time being, these are the rules and no changes will be made. If over time a majority of the players would like to look at changing a rule we can discuss as a group.

We are hoping that you will find this an interesting and fun way to have competition even if you are not located near an established track.

With that said let's take a look at the rules:

Timing- Timing must be done with a device where you can post "proof" of your run to the web, this can be done with something as simple as a smart devise app where you take a screenshot or a full-on timing system and posting a generated excel sheet. I have been using "LapTracker" on my iPhone, there is a nominal fee for it but it works very well. I understand there are a couple of Android apps that work as well though I have not tried them, one is called "Whoop Laps"and another is called "LapTrax". If any of you have another Android timing app that you are comfortable with I would be happy to post that as well. I am not affiliated with any of these apps BTW.

Race Format- The Race format is 75 laps which will lead to a, roughly, 6 min race. You cannot piece together parts of different races to make one race, it is either all 75 laps or nothing. On the first of every month the track configuration, surface. and direction will be posted. Below I have a picture of some tracks configurations that can be done with the standard Mini-96 kit, I also understand that you can make a lot of HFAY track that uses two "Wide-L's" with the Mini-96 Track, I will need to investigate that.

Car Classes and Rules
Box Stock- 4AAA NiMh KyoshoChassis, EVO Board not allowed. OEM White End bell Motor unmodified, 7T Pinion are both mandatory. Front springs, tires, T-Plate, and bearings are open. Any Kyosho plastic motor mount that does not incorporate a disc dampener can be used for 86-98MM Wheelbases. Kyosho Autoscale/White body Complete and unmodified must use original wing or no wing at all. 20MM Wheels only. Aluminum T-Plate mounts, aftermarket nose clips, and R246-1310 0* Kyosho front knuckles (these are the only aftermarket knuckles that are allowed) are permissible on the chassis to increase the durability of chassis.
Stock 86- 4AAA NiMh Kyosho Chassis set up at 86MM, OEM or 70T brushed motor or 3500 & Kyosho 4100kv Brushless motor, Autoscale/White Body with no modifications, stock wing.
Stock 86/90MM Narrow- 4AAA NiMh Kyosho Chassis set up at 86 or 90MM. OEM or 70T brushed motor or 3500 & Kyosho 4100kv Brushless motor. Any 86 or 90mm Kyosho body that originally ran on 8.5mm Narrow wheels all around and running a narrow front end are allowed but you MUST run zero offsets (or - offset wheels in the case of the Lotus Elise) 8.5mm all around no matter what the body will accept.
Porsche Cup- Stock- 4AAA NiMh Kyosho Chassis set up at 86 or 90MM. OEM or 70T brushed motor or 3500 & Kyosho 4100kv Brushless motor. The car must un a rear-mount and use a 911 derived body (934,935,GT1, 996 GT3, 991 GT3RS).
Stock- Any 4AAA Nimh Chassis , OEM or 70T brushed motor or 3500 & Kyosho 4100kv Brushless motor, Autoscale/White body.
Pro Stock-Any 4AAA Chassis , 48/50T Brushed motor or 5600kv brushless motor, Autoscale/White body.
Open 2WD-And Chassis, any voltage, any motor
Open 4WD-Any Chassis, any voltage, any motor

Posting Of your Race
In order for your race to count please use the following format and fill in all the information as well as the screenshot of your race information. You are also encouraged to post pictures of your cars. Races will only be counted if they are submitted before midnight EST (GMT-5hrs) of the last day of the month

Class-
Date-
Location-
Race Time-
Fastest Lap-
Chassis-
Body-
Wheelbase-
Tires-
Motor-
Batteries-
Front Springs-
T-Plate-
Motor Mount-
Dampener (If applicable)-
Dampener Fluid (If applicable)-
Gearing-
Notes-

Please be honest with your results; it is our hope that this on-line competition can grow and offer some really good fun for those who participate. Remember if you cheat you are really only cheating yourself and ruining it for the rest of us.

Last edited by LJH; 02-01-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 AM
LJH
Tech Master

April/May Track- Plan A/rough Side/clockwise

Since we are starting in the middle of the Month this series will run through May 31st.

Lets see what you can do.....

Last edited by LJH; 04-19-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Am in

want to run stock and box stock. Can we use fiberglass of carbon tplates in stock? Also which track configuration we starting with? Looks like you want to start with rough side, so that is fine-prefer smooth forntiee wear, but fine either way.
Chip Puccio
Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Glass and cf tplates alllowed? Which running direction?

Originally Posted by Pooch692000
want to run stock and box stock. Can we use fiberglass of carbon tplates in stock?
Chip Puccio

I see plan a rough side perfect.

Last edited by Pooch692000; 04-18-2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Spekking
Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM
LJH
Tech Master

want to run stock and box stock. Can we use fiberglass of carbon tplates in stock? Also which track configuration we starting with? Looks like you want to start with rough side, so that is fine-prefer smooth forntiee wear, but fine either way.
Chip Puccio
Chip,
Take a look at the above post, we are running the "A" configuration, clockwise, on the rough side. Yes,T-Plates are open in Box Stock.

Good to have you on board.

Cheers,
Jim

Pooch692000 and YeshuaGriffin like this.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Think we are starting to make this overly complicated. I’ll post the runs I did 4 months ago.

Box stock Mr03. Bushings

box stock FWD

box stock AWD

mro3 PN 70t

Jomurema. Stock with Lipo.

box stock mro3RM

TimothyLyall likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Think we are starting to make this overly complicated. I’ll post the runs I did 4 months ago.

Box stock Mr03. Bushings

https://youtu.be/mAuJ4pfTMhI

box stock FWD

https://youtu.be/KLxO1RyPnBE

box stock AWD

https://youtu.be/OKx2Hf2akS0

mro3 PN 70t

https://youtu.be/8x3ggEZMTVo

Jomurema. Stock with Lipo.

https://youtu.be/qxkTfuAA-Ug

box stock mro3RM

https://youtu.be/hT-FJEHJTtw
Billy,
Not sure what you are finding complicated? There was discussion in the original challenge thread that covered all these subjects and I asked for input from everyone. I believed people were generally happy with the configuration so we moved forward.

With that said I can't imagine what you find complicated, you build a car to a class and run timed 100 lap stints and post your results along with the car configuration. Once you have you car configurations listed it is as easy as coping and pasting it into a new post.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Welp, here is to me trying to convince our local track to shake up its configuration to include one of these
LJH likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Front downstops allowed in box stock

Down stop limiters
as it’s box stock, im assuming we cannot use front down stop limiters as shown in pic, bit can in stock

Last edited by Pooch692000; 04-18-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

See above picture as example A for complicated. Sorry Chip, just perfect timing.

I’m probably off a bit. Recent RC local news has triggered the old skeptical side that kept me a solo runner for 7 years.
LJH likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

I’m probably off a bit. Recent RC local news has triggered the old skeptical side that kept me a solo runner for 7 years.
Then the Mini96 World Challenge is perfect for you ;-)

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Down stop limiters
as it’s box stock, im assuming we cannot use front down stop limiters as shown in pic, bit can in stock
Chip,
Unless it is specifically called out in the rule it is not allowed.

Sorry about that.

It is a bit weird taking go fast parts off of a car to make it legal for Box Stock.

Cheers,
Jim
EMU likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Fine with me All good

Originally Posted by LJH
Chip,
Unless it is specifically called out in the rule it is not allowed.

Sorry about that.

It is a bit weird taking go fast parts off of a car to make it legal for Box Stock.

Cheers,
Jim
works for me
Old 04-18-2019, 02:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lap time

Jim. Quick note. In the track a plan, myself(newbie) and buddy(3rd in miniz z nata jn 2009) both had best laps
of 49 and 52 respectively in 5
min. timed runs. 52 laps over 5 mins or 300 seconds is 5.77 avg lap. Time. 100 laps at what i consider fast(52 laps over 5 mjns) equates to 577 seconds or close to 9 min and 36 seconds for 100 laps and not the 5 mins. 5 min/100 laps is 3 sexond lap times. Maybe make the total laps 75 for our motor’s sakes?

works for me
Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Jim. Quick note. In the track a plan, myself(newbie) and buddy(3rd in miniz z nata jn 2009) both had best laps
of 49 and 52 respectively in 5
min. timed runs. 52 laps over 5 mins or 300 seconds is 5.77 avg lap. Time. 100 laps at what i consider fast(52 laps over 5 mjns) equates to 577 seconds or close to 9 min and 36 seconds for 100 laps and not the 5 mins. 5 min/100 laps is 3 sexond lap times. Maybe make the total laps 75 for our motor’s sakes?

i see what you mean....I tend to be able to average a bit better then that over 20 laps but I see where you are coming from. I will change it to 75 laps.

Thanks.

Cheers,
jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.