Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Like Tree7768Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Old 05-23-2015, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big james
yea bearing make a big difference
Yes, after driving my TS020 for 2 full days, it is exhibiting tracking issues now. need my bearings now!!

Oh yah, I pulled out my 15yr old MiniZ last night. It drove fine as long as I did not go out more than 15ft.. AM Glitching!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

oh the good old days, am crystals. or even fm crystals lol. love when you got a glitch or someone else turned on there radio during your race and your car goes strait into a wall at full speed! :O

thank goodness for 2.4ghz

Last edited by big james; 05-23-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big james
oh the good old days, am crystals. or even fm crystals lol. love when you got a glitch or someone else turned on there radio during your race and your car goes strait into a wall at full speed! :O

thank goodness for 2.4ghz
Yeah, I forgot these things glitched so bad. At least it has a small turn radius and still fun driving it in close proximity.

Dang, my bearings for my TS020 didn't arrive today in the mail. Guess I will be driving my 458 until Tuesday..
My Orion AAA's are starting to push a lot harder now.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

very nice!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

I should be getting my new PN tires as well this week. I'm real excited. My 458's front tires are like thin rubber bands now from all the driving. And it's not even a week since I got the car.

I decided to keep both bodies the store shipped me. I can always use extra's.

I can see why you guys love these Mini-Z's!! They are fun to drive. Especially with the bearings the car drives like a real RC car.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Question for you guys. I replaced my wheels today and had a hell of a time pushing out the bearings from my old wheels.

How are you guys pushing the tiny bearings out without damaging the seals? just very carefully?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Question for you guys. I replaced my wheels today and had a hell of a time pushing out the bearings from my old wheels.

How are you guys pushing the tiny bearings out without damaging the seals? just very carefully?
...so, there is no real good way to remove the tiny bearings I take it?

I was thinking maybe place a small nail head through the center hole of the bearing, catch the center ring of the bearing with the under side of the nail head, and pull it out with pliers?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
...so, there is no real good way to remove the tiny bearings I take it?

I was thinking maybe place a small nail head through the center hole of the bearing, catch the center ring of the bearing with the under side of the nail head, and pull it out with pliers?
I use the end of a small allen wrench to do it that way. Does not take much, just a gentle push from the other side like you are describing.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
I use the end of a small allen wrench to do it that way. Does not take much, just a gentle push from the other side like you are describing.
Thanks..mine was on SUPER tight!

Ended up ordering spare bearings just in case I damage them.
I got the bearings for my TS020. Drives straight again, very happy.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

More tires ordered, spare TS020 body ordered! I tried the PN tires they stick like glue. Awesome.

Holy crap I love my MR03-S's!! Easy on the pocket, easy to maintain, looks fantastic, drives very well (after bearings), and plenty fast for me with the 9 teeth.

I ordered an Orion AAA charger too. My eneloop charge rate is probably too low to get the max punch out of my Orion AAA's. I think I'm all set for a while.

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

anytime sakadachi! have fun with them :-)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, big james.

Unfortunately the knuckle broke. Ordered aluminum ones with zero camber for now.
I cracked up because I first broke the left side, used super glue and it works fine.

Then next day I broke the right side, same thing. Used super glue and fixed it. Works fine for now while I wait for my replacements.

So things to get are high discharge rate AAA, Orion Pro-AM Charger, bearings, and aluminum knuckles minimum even for the MR03-Sport if one's going to be driving these at its max like me. Oh, and front tires. I went through the stock front tires in like 2-3 days.

Last edited by sakadachi; 05-31-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

When you remove bearings, do the inside one first then you can push out the outer bearing easily.
If you're breaking knuckles frequently you can stop it by using a rim with less offset. Keep the tires tucked inside the body and they won't catch the side walls.
I needed to do something with my old AM MR01s and added some old MM motor mounts to get the wheelbase for Nascar. One stock body and a custom one I did myself. They now have a new home but, were fun for a while.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

mikedw- Cars look good!

The problem with the factory knuckles is that the tool parting line comes directly over the front axle shaft horizontally. This is a weak point of the injection. I also noticed play on the bearing side of the front axle on my 458's knuckles (not broken), so I pushed the shaft out of the plastic, put a dab of superglue and pushed the axle back in. This eliminated the play and my 458, which was having issues tracking straight from day one and even after bearings. Now it tracks straight like an arrow!!

I need more speed out of my MR03-S with the TS020 body. But I can't swap motors due to the weak ESC. I was checking out the MR03VE 50th with the ball diffs, etc but I saw that in order to run LM, I have to use the bevel diff from Kyosho?

So I've been going back and forth deciding to buy the MR03VE with the TS020 body + KT18. At least I have the wheels, bodies, alloy knuckles, extra bearings, and tires for it. Are the brushless motors a night/day difference from the stock brushed motors? I want like 2x the torque.

UPDATE: MR03VE with TS020 body & prop ordered! Will see how well it runs with the bevel diff and if needed I saw that PN has a LM dedicated ball diff set so I will run that. Will convert my MR03-S LM to MM and run a BRZ body. The TS020 body is just too heavy for the stock MR03-Sport motor, imo. On the other hand, my 458 is plenty fast for me with the stock Sport motor and its bevel diff.

On my 458 on my track, I found the PN tires RSR06 and RSF25 work great!
For TS020, the stock tires work great, but will swap the fronts to RSF25 down the road as the Kyosho tires wear very quickly. I can get maybe 3 days out of them.

Last edited by sakadachi; 06-01-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, the brushless is night and day. I prefer a ball diff and would say it's a great upgrade from a gear diff.
I ran LeMans with some friends. It is a pretty big heavy body compared to most autoscales. They were liked so much had to run them 1/18th scale as well. I'm the appointed painter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.