Kyosho Mini-Z Series >

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Like Tree7769Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Old 05-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big james
Yes pn tires will fit the stock wheels. I run 5 or 6 degree tires at my track I believe the higher the number the harder the rubber.
Thank you, big james!! I appreciate your expertise.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
You need to get high discharge rate batteries for these. Eneloops wil never be able to put out the power of the AAA batteries made for Miniz racers. TRP, Peak, PN racing and others make race batteries and should be what you are using. Right now it's like running a 4cyl motor in a Corvette. Unleash the best and get a set of batteries. Best 10 bucks you will spend.
I tried the Orions this morning. I know that it needs to be cycled a few times, but the initial run was unimpressive. The eneloops (I have the new Panasonic ones) have much higher output and longer run time.

Hope this improves as I have another set of Orions coming in this week for my TS020...
Old 05-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

I've tried a lot of batteries over the years and with the Orion brand I'd rank them:
1. 750SHO
2. 900HV
3. 1100RT- not a fan of these at all

I've used the Atomic 800 and they are pretty good, comparable to Orion 900HV. My current battery of choice is the TRP rp747. It's similar to the 750SHO which were a favorite of mine for years. I've tried the Peak, GP, Duracell, eveready, energizer and no name NIMH batteries too.

I have a DIY track made with the foam tiles (18'x17' with Trackmate timing system). The cars work best with soft compound tires (foams and some PN carpet tires work), our preference has been the Atomic 10 degree for front and rear. There are a few tread patterns to choose from.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I tried the Orions this morning. I know that it needs to be cycled a few times, but the initial run was unimpressive. The eneloops (I have the new Panasonic ones) have much higher output and longer run time.

Hope this improves as I have another set of Orions coming in this week for my TS020...
They do need a few cycles to get the chemistry inside working after they have been sitting from production. (for lack of better wording)

I personally use the Peak 900's seems all the batteries in the capacity rating have better voltage output over a race time run anyway.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
They do need a few cycles to get the chemistry inside working after they have been sitting from production. (for lack of better wording)

I personally use the Peak 900's seems all the batteries in the capacity rating have better voltage output over a race time run anyway.
Yes, I think so too. I bought these from Amazon so I guess if they don't reach the level of at least the eneloops, I'm going to return them and get me some Peaks next time... or more eneloops.

Originally Posted by mikedw
I've tried a lot of batteries over the years and with the Orion brand I'd rank them:
1. 750SHO
2. 900HV
3. 1100RT- not a fan of these at all

I've used the Atomic 800 and they are pretty good, comparable to Orion 900HV. My current battery of choice is the TRP rp747. It's similar to the 750SHO which were a favorite of mine for years. I've tried the Peak, GP, Duracell, eveready, energizer and no name NIMH batteries too.

I have a DIY track made with the foam tiles (18'x17' with Trackmate timing system). The cars work best with soft compound tires (foams and some PN carpet tires work), our preference has been the Atomic 10 degree for front and rear. There are a few tread patterns to choose from.
Thanks for the input, and nice track! Huh, Atomic 10 degree, huh? Thanks. I ordered a couple of 5 and 8 degree from PN. Will see how these do on my track. My track is 31ft on the long end so I can hit full throttle on my MR03-S for it to reach its top speed with its 9teeth.

My track is still only about 3/4 done; At the end it will be 12ft x31ft. I need to get rid of some of my real car hobby parts and wheels first to make room. I only got like 10ft right now on the short end, partially blocked by my storage shelves.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

There are a lot of tire choices. I'm no expert but, I've tried a lot of tires on my tracks. I started on a tar paper track with an MR01, keep the goof off close to clean the tar off the tires. I had a carpet track, ran on a painted concrete surface and on RCP.
Basically some tires are rubber based and some seem to be silicon based. Atomic tires that I mentioned are silicon based. The RCP guys tend not to like the silicon ones as they leave residue on the track. On my DIY track the more residue the better, the same for my carpet track. I used foams on the carpet track and tire compound. Since your mat is rubber it's closest to RCP and you'll be better of with PN tires. The last RCP tires I used were PN 6 rear and Kyosho 20 front, too many years ago, lol.
I've gotten some batteries that sat on the shelf for too long and never lived up to the same newer ones. I've used quite a few sets of the Peak 900 and they're a great battery too. It's all about how long those first few minutes of high power last before the battery goes flat and is the same as all the others. There's never enough space, I should knock out a wall. hahaha
Old 05-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, mikedw. . And lol'ed at knocking a wall out.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

the orion 1100's for me are the best becuase they dont loose that edge as fast as other batteries. they stay pretty consistent thru the run. not like the r1 or peaks wich have awsome punch right out the gate but after a few laps they slow way down. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

the orion 1100's for me are the best becuase they dont loose that edge as fast as other batteries. they stay pretty consistent thru the run. not like the r1 or peaks wich have awsome punch right out the gate but after a few laps they slow way down. just my 2 cents.
Sounds good. I'm giving it a couple cycles for it to wake up.
My second set arrived today, and charging right now.

My replacement body arrived but the display case was all scratched up.
I won't be driving the display case, but at $60 a pop, I deserve a scuff free piece of plastic! store is sending me a replacement for exchange.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

So I received my MR03-S TS020 today, changed to 9t pinion and took it out for a test drive.

The car is a tad slower than my 458 probably from the heavier body, but the car drives like 10x better in terms of straight line stability.. .. and does not get caught under the track marker dots as the body rides higher off the ground.

Anyway I was surprised to see such a big improvement from the longer wheel base and thicker rear tires even within its tiny form factor.

Edit: Actually it appears the body's downforce gives it the additional stability too. Car drove like a wild horse without it..

Last edited by sakadachi; 05-22-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

The bodies do make a big difference, try a Lemans body, really long and wide. You may want a ball diff with the 64 pitch spur and pinions, gives you more gearing options.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikedw
The bodies do make a big difference, try a Lemans body, really long and wide. You may want a ball diff with the 64 pitch spur and pinions, gives you more gearing options.
mikedw- Thanks, the TS020 is a Lemans body (Toyota GT-One). The car is like on rails through the turns, so controllable it is night and day vs my 458. The 64 pitch ball diff does sound tempting, but I'm just a casual driver for Mini-Z so the ball bearings will do for me. Thanks though.. in fact, I think my ball bearings for my 458 is arriving today. This should help my straight line tracking issues I have on it.

The 458 is fun to drive with its short wheel base, and I like the styling which is also very important to me.

Btw, when you guys receive your replacement Kyosho bodies, are the display cases all scratched up? I was planning on using the case to display my other diecast cars, but it is completely unusable. Even the replacement the store sent me is the same way.. all scratched up. And these red 458 bodies are expensive!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you upgrade the rear end to adjustable then you can run any size body. You can pick up different size auto scale body's around $30 bucks on ebay new.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

If you upgrade the rear end to adjustable then you can run any size body. You can pick up different size auto scale body's around $30 bucks on ebay new.
My MR03-S came with parts to change the wheel base, not sure if it covers all body styles though. I see a few bodies going at $25-30, but most are still up there in the $60+ range.

Anyway, I got the bearings installed on my 458. The tracking issue is solved! I knew those plastic bushings were vibrating around the axle at full speed. I hope I get my other bearing set tomorrow for my TS020.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

yea bearing make a big difference

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.