Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini-t or RC18T

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, what he said. I would suggest a mini-t to whomever can drive a 2wd truck well. I was actually thinking of getting my Mini-T back to orginial form to race it (I used it for a project). Now if your just getting into mini, and you've raced all 4wds, id suggest the RC18 series.

It was proven in RCCA that the Mini-T throws down more constant times over the RC18T. Just because a vehicle is 2wd doesn't mean it sucks.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Since the thread asks for info on how the 2 compare, it is completely reasonable to do so. We are not talking about some tracks' class deffinitions. Just some info for a prospective buyer.
As far as RCCA's stance, who cares? They are rarely right on any subject.
We have been racing all the micro/mini vehicles(track in my store) since they came out. Getting a mini-t around with the same lap times as a rc18t, takes far more skill! It can be done, but the mini-t driver is severely handicapped.
Kudos to Losi for starting the off-road mini scene, but the truck has severe deficeinces in; roll center, CG & Ackerman for starters.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I were you, since you are racing Mini-T and RC18t's in your store, I would suggest that there should be a 2wd class and they will race on their class and a 4wd class and race on their own. They cannot not mix together because they are in 2 different classes. If these mini trucks are soup-up, then they should have an unlimited class in 2wd and an unlimited class in 4wd. In my opinion, the 2wd's are always in disadvantage... it's that simple. As a buyer of these trucks before buying should have his or her own requirements ready before even stepping in a hobby store otherwise, they end up buying something that they did not even think they would buy. As a seller, you should provide clear and precise differentiation between the 2 models. since you have a track, you may even let them drive these 2 trucks (in stock form) and let them feel the differences between the 2 trucks... and you better stock up in the your 4wd models.

This is just a 1 person's opinion and may not reflect the opinion of the buyer nor the seller. This is just an opinion.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

I agree that they should run in different classes. It gets problematic from a race directors view point. So many different types; 1/18 monsters, 1/18 stadium 2wd, 1/18 stadium 4wd, stock of each (what is that in 1/18 terms?), 1/18 buggies, not so 1/18 like the mlst, 1/16 buggies, 4 cell, 5 cell, 6 cell, 7 cell, 8 cell, 2 cell LiPo, 3 cell LiPo, Brushless, 180 motors, 280 motors, 300, 370, 400,. etc...
It has been my experience that very few want to leave there 1/18 off-road machines in stock form. Most go brushless/LiPo right away.
I ended up putting Mini-t in with the monsters. 4wd open stadium in there own class. Most mini-t owners got rid of them anyway. Even with the price drop, it costs as much to get a mini-t as an 18t, when you factor in bearings & shocks (must haves).
Originally, I had stock class (5 cell NiMh & Losi speed motor), open class (any motor/battery), super stock sedan (5 cell & Losi speed), open sedan (any motor/battery). Now we have 1/18 buggies (no restrictions), 1/18 trucks (no restrictions), Super stock sedan (5 cell & Venom fireball motor), & open sedan. If we get 2 or more of anything that wants their own class, it's OK with me.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a few of both vehicles and both are fun. As an RTR the rc18t is clearly the better choice. If you get the Mini T pro as a roller($115) and finish it off with your own electrics is a very good truck. Both vehicles have an awesome supply of aftermarket and replacement parts. My only gripe is the small c clips the mini t uses for all of its hinge pins. The RC 18 uses captured pins.....
Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF7TO5J51LU&search=rc18
Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
tc4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the relply's. I didn't think i would get this many. I'm probably gonna go the rc18t.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

After owning both, whenever someone asks what to get that wants to get into the hobby, I always tell them to buy a RC18T. The Mini T started it, but its been blown away. There's a reason there isn't much for choices for 2wd micro trucks. Mini-T and the Thunder Tiger. (Which I would take over the Losi IMO)

If your set on getting a Mini T, the Pro version is the only way to go, but then you still need all the radio gear. If you plan on going brushless anyways, better option is to go with the Mini T Pro, or the Factory Team RC18T.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rm25x
After owning both, whenever someone asks what to get that wants to get into the hobby, I always tell them to buy a RC18T. The Mini T started it, but its been blown away. There's a reason there isn't much for choices for 2wd micro trucks. Mini-T and the Thunder Tiger. (Which I would take over the Losi IMO)

If your set on getting a Mini T, the Pro version is the only way to go, but then you still need all the radio gear. If you plan on going brushless anyways, better option is to go with the Mini T Pro, or the Factory Team RC18T.
I would recommend the RC18T - however if you want to go brushless, I would stick with a stock chassis. Aluminum parts will bend, they are heavier and they cost more. I currently run 4 RC18's - all with brushless motors - Mamba 5400, 6800, 8000 and Dynamite C4-9200kv - I have recommended this set up time and time again with the following upgrades - regardless of which brushless system you use:

MIP CVD's
MIP Outdrives
Lundsford Titanium TB/Ball studs
RC solutions roll cage.

ALL STOCK CHASSIS PARTS.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

good luck on the wheelies unless your runnin brushless. I personally hate mini-t's. The RTR truck is so slow and the receiver/esc combo sucks, plus AA batteries in the RTR? wtf? I remember when my friends all bought mini-t's and my friend and I had our stock 18t's and it was night and day. The mini-t's were probably going like 10mph and our 18t's were easily doing 22 or somethin. Completely different you actually have power. Plus I love the 4wd, bearings, and good electronics.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC18T -OR- TRINTY BLADE

I've always dug Associated products but I'm really really leaning toward the Trinity Blade now. 4wd like the 18T but it looks like it has a center diff too. Both trucks are about the same price RTR. I'm going RTR b/c all my stuff is 1/12, 1/10, or 1/28ish.

So has anyone driven a Blade or should I have started a new topic, LOL Thanks