Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Losi Mini 8 sputters on LiPo out of box? and runtime >

Losi Mini 8 sputters on LiPo out of box? and runtime

Losi Mini 8 sputters on LiPo out of box? and runtime

Old 11-23-2017, 02:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi Mini 8 sputters on LiPo out of box? and runtime

I just bought the Losi Mini 8, and I picked up a Venom 2000MaH 2s lipo. Out of the boxx, i notice that the motor kind of sputters or stutters when you give it gas. I will give it full throttle and it will sputter for a second, then go.

Also, it seems to have a very low runtime. I ran it for less than 10 minutes and the battery, which I'd been charging for about 6 hours, and it died.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would suggest the following:

- get a better charger. get one that will charge at the max rate the lipo can do.
- Confirm the settings on the ESC are correct for lipo usage
- If there is a punch setting, try turning that down and see how the performance is for stuttering. It may not be as snappy, but you can see if the battery is having trouble keepign up with the demand the motor is putting on it at that time. Some ESCs when you have a high punch setting will send all the power it can to the motor, which, if the battery can't keep up, will cause issues.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

If this is a new stock Mini 8ight this is totally normal when given initial throttle from a dead stop. Tripped me out too at first. It’s motor cogging and won’t damage anything, just annoying. Hopefully you broke in the diffs like the manual states, and as Cain said, make sure the ESC is set to Lipo mode and you should be good.