Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PUFFED PACK

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Default PUFFED PACK

Jason, Austin or any other MA staff: Amazing enough this is not a complaint post! I have a 3s 11.1 5250 and I run it in a VXL Pede geared 22/86 for crazy speed. I've had the pack for almost a year(maybe longer since I got it when Josh worked there) so honestly I can say I've used it probably 30 times and am fairly certain the warranty expired. After I drive it and recharge w/EOSO606i the pack swells. Could this swelling be caused from the gearing I'm using? Thanks!
Eric
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I don't think 22/86 is that obscene of a ratio and I think most if not all their packs are rated to be able to handle any amount of power a Pede could draw so in my "un"professional opinion that wouldn't be it. But 30 cycles in more than a year is not that much really and they suggest if storing for more than a week I think to keep it around 60% charge to keep that from happening. If you let it sit for weeks/months without cycling that is probably the culprit.

But they do offer a 3 year warranty so if you're the original purchaser and picked that up (they offer it free now!) you should be able to get a new pack at a nice discount.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
I don't think 22/86 is that obscene of a ratio and I think most if not all their packs are rated to be able to handle any amount of power a Pede could draw so in my "un"professional opinion that wouldn't be it. But 30 cycles in more than a year is not that much really and they suggest if storing for more than a week I think to keep it around 60% charge to keep that from happening. If you let it sit for weeks/months without cycling that is probably the culprit.

But they do offer a 3 year warranty so if you're the original purchaser and picked that up (they offer it free now!) you should be able to get a new pack at a nice discount.
With all the chat between you and me via the Christian page and Elec off road it seems like we've become "friends" via the Internet. Maybe so with keeping it 60% charged when I don't run it might help but I think it's too late now. I run it all the way down till it slows (noticably) and let it sit till the next time. When I drive my VXL Slash w/2s 5250 or my MMPro 4600 Slash=no problem but like I said, that is w/2s. This is the 2nd time I've had an issue w/3s so I'm wondering about the gearing? I'm sure Austin or Jason will set me right and I'm still going to support Max Amps. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Default Discharge pack

Ok I discharged my 3s 5250 pack w/EOSO606i due to it was getting swollen and I feared for the life of my VXL Pede; it reads 9.3v and the buzzer for not enough charge to balance makes noise. Do I need to continue to discharge w/auto bulb or is it just about done? Next time I'll gear it 26/86 and hope this doesn't happen anymore.Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bowl806
Ok I discharged my 3s 5250 pack w/EOSO606i due to it was getting swollen and I feared for the life of my VXL Pede; it reads 9.3v and the buzzer for not enough charge to balance makes noise. Do I need to continue to discharge w/auto bulb or is it just about done? Next time I'll gear it 26/86 and hope this doesn't happen anymore.Thanks!
26/86 will draw even more juice than 22/86 but again, the pack should not have a problem handling the draw a Pede will have regardless of gearing. I dont' think that's your issue.
9.3v is above 3v/cell so unless one is severely out of balance that also shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure you'll get some advice here.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Thanks NeuRacer! sent you a pm so any input you have will be most appreciated. Also waiting for MA to reply.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

I haven't replied to this thread because we have discussed this over the phone already.

have a great holiday weekend guys,

jason
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
I haven't replied to this thread because we have discussed this over the phone already.

have a great holiday weekend guys,

jason
Yeah and I'm old, retired, and Left handed lol! Not a problem hey, I discharged to 3.1v per cell and will get a 1157 when I'm out and about. Thanks for the help and Enjoy your weekend!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Vote with your money!!

My max amps pack puffed too. 3S 5250 11.1v

I only used it in my my bandit VXl about 30 times too.

I was not negligent with gearing...Its happened twice to me now...

My mate who has been in hobbies for 20 years has had max amps puff too..

What sort of customer service makes you purchase a warranty...and only gives you discount on new packs that will give you more trouble...

I vote with my money by never buying max amps ever ever ever again!!!

They make out the problem is you....I would accept that...but when you see guys that have been in hobbies for 20 years have the same problems...its not a user error..

They did not return my pack, all they said was I will give you a discount a new pack..

Fool me once..shame on you...
Fool me twice..shame on me...

I bought 2 packs at the same time...they wont fool me again...
Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well i am going to look at it this way i personally have never used a max amps lipo (wouldnt mind trying one though) however i will comment on my opinion the casue being the velineon itself, i had a vxl pede that smoked the motor and a phase on teh esc in only 2 weeks running matched Ni-Mh packs adn on stock factory gearing, the batts got extremely hot with the velineon. i have been through 3 velineon systems and i wont use another one. every one has caused batts to run hot motors to be glitchy, and just not give the performance i expected and traxxas support was the worste basically being told that the traxxas warranty requires 20.00 for warranty replacement (i call BS on that) and even being hung up on by traxxas customer service and support. i would personally try seeing if the pack puffs on another system, also if teh pack is not hard cased i would like to know have you ever flipped the truck? wrecked it? run into a curb?, etc? lipos that are not hardcased will be more inclined to damage from just being in a rollover than a hardcased one IMHO.

now ijust need to find myslef of 2s/3s lipos i can get donated to me
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Not the Velion System at all..I bought a venom pack and it did not puff...I bought a spc pack and it did not puff...

I race down the park with 5 other guys... They are old guys and been into hobbies for about 20yrs or so...

They dont use velions, they use high end cars, they all tried max amps and had them puff after about 30 runs mind you...Its the batteries not the system..They know how to care about lipos too...

I dont want to recomend another brand but I will condemn max amps forever because they are overpriced....and junk...

If max amps was really cheap and they wrecked i would not get upset, But i spent an absolute fortune on buying rubbish...I felt humiliated and stupid..
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by george_georgoul
They dont use velions, they use high end cars

i know that i try to avoid traxxas at all costs, overpriced garbage. i would rather have a revo clone from china than an actual traxxas branded one
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TRIED TO REACH THEM FOR SOME LIPOS THROUGH EMAIL WITH NO RESPONCE MAYBE THEY ARE BUSY
Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You should just call them or go to their web site and use the online live help.

Available 7 days a week
888-654-4450

The Live Chat feature is in the upper right hand corner of the home page.
www.MaxAmps.com
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lordraptor1
well i am going to look at it this way i personally have never used a max amps lipo (wouldnt mind trying one though) however i will comment on my opinion the casue being the velineon itself, i had a vxl pede that smoked the motor and a phase on teh esc in only 2 weeks running matched Ni-Mh packs adn on stock factory gearing, the batts got extremely hot with the velineon. i have been through 3 velineon systems and i wont use another one. every one has caused batts to run hot motors to be glitchy, and just not give the performance i expected and traxxas support was the worste basically being told that the traxxas warranty requires 20.00 for warranty replacement (i call BS on that) and even being hung up on by traxxas customer service and support. i would personally try seeing if the pack puffs on another system, also if teh pack is not hard cased i would like to know have you ever flipped the truck? wrecked it? run into a curb?, etc? lipos that are not hardcased will be more inclined to damage from just being in a rollover than a hardcased one IMHO.

now ijust need to find myslef of 2s/3s lipos i can get donated to me
Of course that packs get hot, you're trying to run a sports car on pump gas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.