Wiki Posts
Search

4s 6500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default 4s 6500 ?

I have a maxamps 4s 6500.I am new to the lipo/brushless and I bought a orion clubman lipo edition not knowing it was seriously underpowered.I have plugged the charger up and put it on balance charge and it balanced the pack out at 3.43 and has charged for like 1.5 hours and doesn't seem to be getting there.It is actually still dropping and has dropped to 3.35 per cell.Is this normal or am I doing something wrong.The charger only goes to 4 amps and is only 50 watts so if I understand correctly that it actually won't charge at 4amps? I do know that I don't need to let the cells drop to low but I am unsure of that number?can anyone help me please
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Would suggest you get a new charger that can handle a 4S 6500 like the Hyperion 0720i Net3 or the DUO 3. You can then balance charge the pack at a full 1C rate and even twice that at 2C. The pack should balance out at 4.2 volts per cell and at a 1C charge rate complete in about 80 to 90 minutes.

See the chargers and the recommended 32 amp power supply here:

http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=33

If you have any other questions just ask.

Jason
Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

so is 3.35 per cell to low ?and is it normal to be on there that long and still be dropping even thou it was already balanced out? what is the lowest voltage you want per cell?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It will definitely take a long time but it is rated to charge 4S packs and should charge it at about ~3.3A. It will take over 2 hours to charge but there is no reason why it shouldn't charge that pack. When the pack is charged it should be 4.2V per cell.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

i love the 720. got a 20a PS and it charges my 4s 6500 at 2c in the estimated 40 minutes or so...so nice.
hyperion chargers seem to be up there
Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Questions??

Iam new to 1/8 elec offroad and have a couple nubee questions.I have the Hyperion 720i and a Much More 12v 24a power supply.My first question is will the power supply be enough to charger a 4c 6500mah batt(Max-Amps) And can you charge the batt at 20amps ? Second question is there is a c rating in the charger for the batt I know that its Not for the cell count of the batt what is it for and where should it be set at to charge a 4c 6500mah batt (Max Amps Batt). Last question how long does it take for a lipo to break in (so to speak) before you start to get better run times and petter performance ?

Thank you for any help given !!!

Rob
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=prettyboy;7101180]Iam new to 1/8 elec offroad and have a couple nubee questions.I have the Hyperion 720i and a Much More 12v 24a power supply.My first question is will the power supply be enough to charger a 4c 6500mah batt(Max-Amps) And can you charge the batt at 20amps ? Second question is there is a c rating in the charger for the batt I know that its Not for the cell count of the batt what is it for and where should it be set at to charge a 4c 6500mah batt (Max Amps Batt). Last question how long does it take for a lipo to break in (so to speak) before you start to get better run times and petter performance ?

Hey Rob, I run the same battery and if im not mistaken 2c is the most you'd want to charge that battery at (13amps). Your power supply should be fine for that. Break-in? yes I suppose my packs worked better after a few cycles. I noticed one or 2 cells on a 4s pack would take a while to balance as well as the others but after several cycles all of my max amps packs are doing great. So much depends on gearing and track size but I usually get a safe 20 minute a-main in my e-buggy. HOPE THIS HELPS! Jeff
Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Cool

[QUOTE=Jeff Bartlett;7103327]
Originally Posted by prettyboy
Iam new to 1/8 elec offroad and have a couple nubee questions.I have the Hyperion 720i and a Much More 12v 24a power supply.My first question is will the power supply be enough to charger a 4c 6500mah batt(Max-Amps) And can you charge the batt at 20amps ? Second question is there is a c rating in the charger for the batt I know that its Not for the cell count of the batt what is it for and where should it be set at to charge a 4c 6500mah batt (Max Amps Batt). Last question how long does it take for a lipo to break in (so to speak) before you start to get better run times and petter performance ?

Hey Rob, I run the same battery and if im not mistaken 2c is the most you'd want to charge that battery at (13amps). Your power supply should be fine for that. Break-in? yes I suppose my packs worked better after a few cycles. I noticed one or 2 cells on a 4s pack would take a while to balance as well as the others but after several cycles all of my max amps packs are doing great. So much depends on gearing and track size but I usually get a safe 20 minute a-main in my e-buggy. HOPE THIS HELPS! Jeff
Hey Jeff yes that does help alot thanks for the info. I will keep a close eye on the batt when charging and play it safe with the info you gave.

Thanks again
Rob