Wiki Posts
Search

Max Amps 7.4v Saddle pack

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Questions?? Max Amps 7.4v Saddle pack

Hi. I have a 3300mah 7.4V saddle pack (lipo) and was at my LHS looking to buy a balancer. I currently have a Triton 2 and would like to balance charge my pack. They're having trouble due to the way it's wired with one red and 2 black. It appears that's in series and I verified it with voltmeter. Red to black gives on pack voltage, then black to the other black shows the other pack's voltage. The problem is getting a balancer to work on this setup. Any suggestions? Really don't want to spend alot of money as this is not my main interest. Just a little brushless 1/18 to get me through the winter!!

One more question: what voltage should lipos be stored at? I was told around 3.7V (discharged).

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cadimman
Hi. I have a 3300mah 7.4V saddle pack (lipo) and was at my LHS looking to buy a balancer. I currently have a Triton 2 and would like to balance charge my pack. They're having trouble due to the way it's wired with one red and 2 black. It appears that's in series and I verified it with voltmeter. Red to black gives on pack voltage, then black to the other black shows the other pack's voltage. The problem is getting a balancer to work on this setup. Any suggestions? Really don't want to spend alot of money as this is not my main interest. Just a little brushless 1/18 to get me through the winter!!

One more question: what voltage should lipos be stored at? I was told around 3.7V (discharged).

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Well from the description your giving me on the wire colors it sounds like you have the Hyperion balance tap on the pack. So you need a balancer that will work or has an adapter with a Hyperion balance tap on it. As for pack storage it's 60% of the packs rated capacity not by voltage.

Jason
Old 10-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Suspended

Thank you, I will look into the connector. So 60% of 3300 mah?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cadimman
Thank you, I will look into the connector. So 60% of 3300 mah?
I'd say in the 1750 to 1800 mAh range.

Jason
Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Thanks for your help. I just bought the Equinox pass-through balancer for my Triton 2 and a pack of connectors. Doesn't look like I have it though, but I've got a pile to go through. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

I'm not sure if that balancer has a Hyperion type plug set if not go here: http://www.maxamps.com/HYP2S-AL-Adapter.htm That will convert the Hyperion plug to an Align tap and should get you going.

Jason
Old 10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
I'm not sure if that balancer has a Hyperion type plug set if not go here: http://www.maxamps.com/HYP2S-AL-Adapter.htm That will convert the Hyperion plug to an Align tap and should get you going.

Jason
Not THAT is what I need! Looks right. I'll have to order that one. Again, thanks for the awesome support here.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Suspended

I've charge this pack and now they are swollen. One side worse than the other. Is it garbage? I'm afraid to use it....
Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Yes if swollen the pack is junk. How old is this pack? Was it bought from an LHS or direct from us?

Jason
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Suspended

Unhappy

Sorry, no. It was bought used here on this website with a Kyosho mini inferno.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

I thought something like that. Chances are the pack has been sitting for some time with a full charge in it. Li-Po's don't like this and the results the first time you use and run is often a puffed pack. Let me know if you'd like to order a new one. http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...Saddle&cat=153

Just shoot me an e-mail letting me know. [email protected] I'll see if we can swing you a deal to get you going.

Jason
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Thank you. I will contact you when I'm ready to purchase.