Wiki Posts
Search

Things I learned today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Things I learned today

As a rookie to the Rockpile and nitro racing I thought I might jot down a few things and maybe someother newbie might learn from my mistakes and successes.

Engine pipes are hot. They don't look like it but the blister on my one finger knows otherwise.

Nitro fuel if left on Pactra paint will degrade it. Slight fuel spill when I was on my lid one of a dozen times today left my paint somewhat cracked in spots. I will clean it off well right away next time.

Do not marshall these nitro beasts like indoors electrics. I made the mistake of grabbing an overturned truggy by the sides to flip it over once in haste and killed a guys engine by plugging off his exhaust with my glove. Thank god he was very cool about it when we talked and gave me a break knowing I was new to the scene. Thanks dude for the lessons in marshalling and staying cool when things go poorly.

The Rockpile is an excellent place to run. 55 entries today and things went very smoothly. A well managed club knows how to show it's guests a good time.

The racers at the Rockpile are great guys. I had tons of newbie questions and nobody made me feel like I was bugging them. Got lots of good advice on my mechanicals and driving. Lord knows I need it.

One good lap or a perfect jump can make your whole day. Enjoy small victories and keep learning every time out.

Special thanks to Brian for hosting the track at his place and Bob Hommen who did an excellent job race directing and color commentating on the mic.

That's all I can think of right now. I am sure I will come up with more when I reflect further on my day. I am very glad I decided to join the nitro gang outdoors and look forward to many more days with good friends and good fun.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Jeff, figured I would copy my MARCCA post here after reading about your day.

Well it was our first time at a dirt track. Not knowing what to expect but Jason was still eagar to continue learning RC racing and in the dirt seemed to be the next step. Equipped with a TeknoRC electic conversion on a Losi 8ight truggy he hit the track for his first practice. Endos, cartwheels, smashing into everything imaginable, flying off the track... finally the electronics came loose and disconnected the 5S MaxAmps lipo. Maybe this was a bad idea. Back at the pits I had to tell him that throttle was not the answer and practice was to learn how to drive the track. He started putting everything back in the motorhome determained to quit and ready for another father-son confrontation. Then along comes Daryl Frank. "Hey Jason" he says. "Ya gotta roll that one jump, no way to power over it, I know cause I tried it too. And you gotta take those doubles two at a time. Take it easy and you 'll do just fine." Jason walks over and actually listens! He then starts unloading all his trucks with a totally new attitude. He is going to ask for help. I tell him Erik Jensen has helped you in the past, would you like me to see if he will coach you in the first qualifier? I actually get a thumbs up. Erik agrees and after a couple times around he nails the doubles, then he starts working on the table top. After the first qualifier he can make it around the track OK and only flies into the back 40 a couple times. I congratulate him and he gets words of encouragement from almost every MARCCA member he sees. We watch others qualify and as we are watching Jason leans over and asks me if maybe Erik would coach him again. I tell him he should ask him himself and he goes over and actually does it all by himself. Second qualifier his Slash is back in action and he runs OK with it. He actually does well in qualifying with his Truggy with Erik by his side again giving advice and Jason actually listening. He comes back to the pits and tells me he just doesn't get the truggy and why it is so loose. I tell him "this is dirt racing son". I find myself remembering that he is 7 and there are a number of things he has not learned yet but asking for help and taking advice from others are somethings he now has experienced and I think will remember. And yes, racing on dirt is different than racing on carpet.

I thank the members of MARCCA for the best RC club I can even imagine. The character of the members is beyond anything I could ever imagine. The help and guidance I see the experienced members give to newer members is something I have never come across in any hobby before. Please know it is appreciated. Jason gave the day 2 thumbs up plus ten fingers.

Great family day. Keith, Jason and Cindy.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Some reflections on the day from a fellow rookie:

Always check your bloody screws...one loose one, and the resulting stripped steering knuckle, ended my day after one qualifier.

Echoing Jeff, pipes and skin don't mix well.

Brian is incredibly generous for letting us run at his place and helping anyone who needs it, I owe him a lot for helping me get up and running today.

I am 500% hooked on nitro. The sight and sound of a well-tuned buggy at full blast down the main straight is something else. I can still smell a hint of exhaust on my clothes.

My dirt driving skills need lots and lots and lots of work, which I'm more than willing to use as an excuse to run my buggy into the ground this summer.

The Rock Pile is the best dirt track I've ever seen, and MARCCA is the best club I could ever imagine running with. Even though I'd never been to the Pile or raced a buggy before, when I got out of my car in the midst of over 50 racers and a cloud of nitro exhaust, I felt right at home. I am going to miss everyone here a lot while I'm back in Iowa and abroad in Ecuador next semester, and I'll be looking forward to re-joining you guys on carpet in January.

Good luck this summer guys, hope the racing's close and clean

-Adam
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Thank Keith, Jason a good kid. He looked alittle down when i was passing. Anything to help a racer. I too marshaled a car poorly Sunday. I went to flip it over and i did, right back on his roof. Car stalled out, I felt like a dumbass but talked to him afterword and he was cool about it. Thanks for not cussing me out. Adam, I saw you there and was going to ask if you need anything but i had 2 helpless "kids" with me that ate up most of my time. But if you need anything just ask. That goes for anyone, if i have what you need, it's yours. Mr. Mann, nice job for your first time. Great time, can't wait til next time.
Daryl
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Daryl-

If only you'd had a spare right steering knuckle for a HB Lightning 2...ah well, a lesson to me about bringing spares.

Also, an addendum to my earlier post: SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, & MORE SUNSCREEN...I woke up this morning with a god-awful sunburn on my neck I could feel my neck roasting on the driver's stand...but oh well, worth it
Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kghills
Jeff, figured I would copy my MARCCA post here after reading about your day.

Well it was our first time at a dirt track. Not knowing what to expect but Jason was still eagar to continue learning RC racing and in the dirt seemed to be the next step. Equipped with a TeknoRC electic conversion on a Losi 8ight truggy he hit the track for his first practice. Endos, cartwheels, smashing into everything imaginable, flying off the track... finally the electronics came loose and disconnected the 5S MaxAmps lipo. Maybe this was a bad idea. Back at the pits I had to tell him that throttle was not the answer and practice was to learn how to drive the track. He started putting everything back in the motorhome determained to quit and ready for another father-son confrontation. Then along comes Daryl Frank. "Hey Jason" he says. "Ya gotta roll that one jump, no way to power over it, I know cause I tried it too. And you gotta take those doubles two at a time. Take it easy and you 'll do just fine." Jason walks over and actually listens! He then starts unloading all his trucks with a totally new attitude. He is going to ask for help. I tell him Erik Jensen has helped you in the past, would you like me to see if he will coach you in the first qualifier? I actually get a thumbs up. Erik agrees and after a couple times around he nails the doubles, then he starts working on the table top. After the first qualifier he can make it around the track OK and only flies into the back 40 a couple times. I congratulate him and he gets words of encouragement from almost every MARCCA member he sees. We watch others qualify and as we are watching Jason leans over and asks me if maybe Erik would coach him again. I tell him he should ask him himself and he goes over and actually does it all by himself. Second qualifier his Slash is back in action and he runs OK with it. He actually does well in qualifying with his Truggy with Erik by his side again giving advice and Jason actually listening. He comes back to the pits and tells me he just doesn't get the truggy and why it is so loose. I tell him "this is dirt racing son". I find myself remembering that he is 7 and there are a number of things he has not learned yet but asking for help and taking advice from others are somethings he now has experienced and I think will remember. And yes, racing on dirt is different than racing on carpet.

I thank the members of MARCCA for the best RC club I can even imagine. The character of the members is beyond anything I could ever imagine. The help and guidance I see the experienced members give to newer members is something I have never come across in any hobby before. Please know it is appreciated. Jason gave the day 2 thumbs up plus ten fingers.

Great family day. Keith, Jason and Cindy.

kieth and jason-

as for the traction i had the same problem.

example:
i did all my practicing with my bufggy on proline calibers in the m3 compound. fist race i was able to make i put on crime fighters. the buggy seemed all over the place. for the next quals and mains i ran my calibers again and it worked perfect.

solution (maybe)...
try a different tire/compound. if you guys can make it up on wednesday nite (and if it is not raining) jason can try my any of my truggy rims and tires to get rid of that "loose" feeling. i normally run crime fighters on my truggy, but i also have others that i want to try personally.

josh
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Yup, that's another good thing to remember. Help others when you can. The favor will be returned many times. We are all one big family. Dysfunctional at times, but a family none the less.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Daryl. I am trying. New track layout, new truck, new surface, all way different than what I am used to. Taking it slow and learning. Sure hope some sinks in. Keeping it on it's wheels and off the pipes is priority one right now. Speed will come later. I hope.

Next time I hope to do more for the track and club. Was very wrapped up in getting my first day in and could have done more than I did. Watering the track when possible really helps. Just a little between heats on the corners can really make a difference. Too much and it turns to a slimey mess.

Marshalling is always a tricky job. You just get off the drivers stand and are still all pumped up. Sometimes good efforts go bad. Paying attention to your section to marshall is most important. Mistakes will happen. Life goes on. Everyone keeping their cool is the best policy. Good examples of that this past weekend.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

things learned this past weekend...mmm
first I will be down to marcca soon, starting to miss u guys and the rock, been way to busy with Reedsburg, hope some of u can make the travel for more than just the rumble.

anyway, if u have a new system, bring the manual bought Cody a havok 8.5 for his b-day and it started flashing codes at me. half hour later someone offered to go home and print me a manual to figure out lipo cutoff will work on a nimh batt, but thats 1 race away from when the entire system fried. thank god novak has a 120 day free replacement warenty.

second, during a race when u let a youngster catch up, get out of the way. one stratigic hit in the front wheel tends to break servo gears.

and last, after 30 min of practic, change ur battery before the race. got sidetracked helping others, forgot to check my own stuff, only made it 3 min

glad to hear about jasons and keiths day. jasons a good kid, we'll all be lucky to keep up in another couple years
Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Mike, nice to hear from you. Cindy has asked me three different times if I knew where you and Cody (and Zach) were. I told her you might be working but that you also were involved with the Reedsburg track. Glad to hear we willl see you again. You will have to let me know the schedule and directions for Reedsburg as Jason would probably like to run with you up there also.

Keith and Jason.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ICBeloitRacer
Daryl-

If only you'd had a spare right steering knuckle for a HB Lightning 2...ah well, a lesson to me about bringing spares.

Also, an addendum to my earlier post: SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, & MORE SUNSCREEN...I woke up this morning with a god-awful sunburn on my neck I could feel my neck roasting on the driver's stand...but oh well, worth it
Oh crap Adam, now i really feel bad. I run the hotbodies lightning 2 truggy. There probably the same part. And i think i did have some in the box. Oh well now but don't hesitate to ask next time.

Mr. Mann, you are so right. Very disfunctinal.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

oh man, now i feel like such an idiot they're exactly the same part, i looked it up on amain. the really crappy part is that the screws to hold the knuckle in are backordered everywhere but amazon, who want me to pay $6 in shipping for a $2.50 part...no chance are you planning on keeping the LSP for a while? i'm on the fence about a new buggy for the summer...i'm either going to save some money, sell my L2P, and get an 8ight 2.0 RTR, or keep my running gear, get a D8, and just transplant everything. From what it seems, a lot of the parts from the Lightning series will work on the D8.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Adam, go to the hardware store. Ace or someplace. They have individual screws and bolts for cheap. It maynot be exect, but with alittle grinding you can make anything work. If you know the size, they probably have it. I have gotten those exect screws there before. It doesn't hurt to take the knuckle with you to make sure it fits. I think i am going to keep the truggy this summer, unless a deal comes up thats to good to pass up.
Daryl
Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

what i learned today in monroe is that i kick butt in 10 scale truck it was really nice to out running marcca 2 fastes guys. i`m sorry tory and janson
but it felt good.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Ran down in Monroe with a bunch of our gang yesterday. Tried four tire combinations. Too bad the best combo wasn't what I had on for the main. Thing I learned is tires are a HUGE part of dirt racing. Experiment and look around what others are running. Notice how the track changes throughout the day and change if needed. Driving style does have some to do with it also. Still looking for my style. Inconsistant is a style isn't it?

Learning every day I start it up. Thanks to Rick for the driving tips yesterday too. His experience and knowlege have always helped me greatly indoors and now out. Sharing info with rookies is a must. Help them get hooked up and having fun. We want our sport to grow.

Another thing I learned yesterday was to not lock your keys in the car . Also try not to pit where the drainage pipe discharges.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Got a little Captain in ya??

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Something I learned yesterday was it doesn't matter if you 4 or 40.Sometimes you get so excitied when you get to the track that you jump out of the car and forget something very important. Sorry Jeff but your learning so much at a very fast rate but sometimes a bad luck break makes you sit back and just chuckel. Good race number two and don't forget round two of the midwest race is next saturday 112 entrys last race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.