Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

I may make a few enemies by saying this but I know a lot of people will agree with me. Anyway, I think it is a reasonable piece of advice.
Forget CEN and forget Toycity if you're gonna stay in this hobby. The only thing decent they have in terms of proper r/c cars is probably Tamiya.

You can get an RTR 1/10 GP on-road car to start with. But in my opinion, you'd be better of with a decent 2nd hand car/engine combo. Keep a lookout in the for sale thread and you can see a few useful ones.

Hang out at tracks and hobby shops. I wont say which one here. If you want my personal opinion, PM me. They all carry decent brands and they are all very helpful towards beginners like you, so don't be afraid to ask questions. After all , it's your money.

Just some basic stuff. (1/10 GP on-road)

1) 1 car-tank(75ml) of fuel lasts about 5~6 minutes. Costs ~RM25 to RM30 per litre(1000ml) depending on which brand you use.
2) Tyres cost ~RM100 for 3 pairs. Will probably last ~10tanks if you drive carefully.
3) Other wear and tear parts include gears, drive belts, engine, beariings, bodyshell etc.
If you crash too often, then more parts to be changed lah...

There will be a big race in Alamanda shopping complex in Putrajaya tomorrow. Come and have a look. Hang around and speak to people. See what car models are present and do some research on the different models.

Last edited by Darth Vader; 08-29-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jasonctx
hey guys...thanx so much for the info..
actually i just started to get interested...welll i like nitro on road...mainly cars...
hmm...does RTR comes in nitro on road?...think RTR would be a better start before i get my hands on it?...can i like get RTR(cheaper) and mod the parts using the same base(kit) later?...would it be faster then?...actually i'm not really serious yet...just trying to get started and slowly pick up the REAL interest in it...definitely not competition and all for now...thanx..i'm not willing to spend RM5k or more for now...its just a waste for a beginner like me right?...anyway thanx so much for enlighting me...hehe...i noe the good ones can go up to RM6-7k anytime...but that's too hardcore and professional for me...i could upgrade the parts(engines..etc) later right?...or do i have to change the whole kit when i get used to it?..thanx!..really appreciate all the info guys....just wanan have some fun now!..heh..another ques...how far can it travel?...about 200metres?...and ya...lastly..hehe...is the CEN Racing RTR CT4S good?...thanx...that's from tamiya right?
Hi there Jasonctx,

I am David from HPC Glenmarie. If you have some time, do drop by at our track side hobby shop. We have a good range of RTR GP cars starting from as low as RM1000.

For moe info, you can call our shop manager Mr Chai at 012-3090560.

Or you can email to me at [email protected] for more info.

Cheers,

David
Old 08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
tornado

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
....................... 1 car-tank(75ml) of fuel lasts about 5~6 minutes. Costs ~RM25 to RM30 depending on which brand you use.

Wah Ducky.........your fuel rocket fuel ah ? one tank full 75cc cost RM25-RM30......manyak mahel leh....... I believe it is from RM25 per litre....rite ?

Old 08-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tornado
Wah Ducky.........your fuel rocket fuel ah ? one tank full 75cc cost RM25-RM30......manyak mahel leh....... I believe it is from RM25 per litre....rite ?
Hehe, sorry, my bad.
Yes, I meant RM25~30 per litre.
I edit the post... OK
Old 08-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default to jason and all future rc's

hello....first of all in this rc world u don't know where the heck u'll end up either in a short period or longer...

but like what most of the forumers here mention do take your time to know / learn as much as possible about whatever category of rc u r interested....hang out the tracks , talk to the regular rc kaki's and find out tips or hints...like karam singh would say...don't put your feet into water if u r scared of getting wet....J/K also $$$ is a crucial factor in rc....well at least u'll start off rc with a well informed decision...

look at me ( i'm in onroad 1/10 ) i started just to 'play-play only' but know at least once a month if $$$ is ok got to race laaa....good luck..
Old 08-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Tech Rookie

hey guys..thanx for the info..
i just got Kyosho V-ONESIII...is it good?...
having trouble fixing it...anyways...could i upgrade this chasis in later stages?...like a more powerful engine...etc etc?...thanx...
Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

having trouble fixing it...anyways...could i upgrade this chasis in later stages?...like a more powerful engine...etc etc?...thanx...
Enjoy the car as it is first.
Personally, I wouldn't spend too much on upgrade parts for this car. When your skills become so good that the car is not good enough, Sell it off in the "RC equipments for sale" thread and buy something with more performance

Same like buying a real car actually..... start with Kancil, upgrade to Wira, then Perdana, then Mercedes/BMW/whatever
Modifying the Kancil to challenge the Perdana is not going to work

Good luck with the new adventure. Hope to see you racing soon!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

good...its not just good...it is almost a tank... i believe it already comes with a new 2 speed not like the original v1s...other than that i see no problem...

like "ooge" said enjoy the car as it is.......after awhile once u've become one of the rc' kaki's than see what will be your plan for the future...enjoy....
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

No worries, when "other" cars start zooming past him, then the "racun" will come into play
Old 08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BundyMan
No worries, when "other" cars start zooming past him, then the "racun" will come into play
...yeaa la....me too, when just starting this rc thingy "selalu di racun "....

I think ppl call the 'racun' name -- " how my car can be more faster "
Old 08-31-2005, 09:09 PM
tornado

Originally Posted by rcabj
...yeaa la....me too, when just starting this rc thingy "selalu di racun "....

I think ppl call the 'racun' name -- " how my car can be more faster "
and the answer is "to splash more money" dude........

Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

$$$ is ofcoz 1 of the winning factors. how good is ur skill without good financial, u cannot go far...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Rookie

hey thanx for the info guys...
now needing help on controllers...
what are the usual ones that goes with V One SIII?...thanx
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

hey thanx for the info guys...
now needing help on controllers...
what are the usual ones that goes with V One SIII?...thanx
There are quite a few people selling off Airtronics M8s secondhand. This is a good controller you might want to consider.
See the RC equipments for sale thread - someone just posted one for sale.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ooge
There are quite a few people selling off Airtronics M8s secondhand. This is a good controller you might want to consider.
See the RC equipments for sale thread - someone just posted one for sale.
New branded controller is abit expensive KO Mars/ Helios - > RM1300, M8, M11 - RM1100 -1800. Secondhand can be cheap. And i still suggest to get those controller ( Check at your nearest track, which controller they use. ) Again..ask them, say to them your are new and wanted to buy a good controller.. They will inform you. If they go extreme they will "racun" you..

You remind me how i start this game.. I checked around, ask for which hobby shop, what brand, etc

Check this website
www.kyosho.co.jp
www.serpent.com
www.mugenseiki.com
www.airtronics.net
www.kopropo.com

Last edited by esham; 09-21-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.