1/18 scale offroaders

Old 03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: 18 scale

Originally posted by Pandora's Box
Guys or girls, !!
What is the minimum(smallest) wire gauge that should be run with a 300 mod motor? What is the current draw(on average) and burst current draw for the 300?

I run an M18 currently with the stock motor. Interested to run mod.

Cheers!
I think HPC has some 18AWG silicone wires for micro cars. We use this for mods and they seemed alright.

Cheers,
Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Guys or girls, !!
What is the minimum(smallest) wire gauge that should be run with a 300 mod motor? What is the current draw(on average) and burst current draw for the 300?

Cheers!
well normally i think it will be 20Gauge and i dont think they will go for the smallest wire for the motor. normally we want to have a fast motor which can perform well and by limiting the current flow is not one of the favaurite thing to do . just my 2 cents.

the curreny draw (on average) will have to check the datasheet for the motor. different motors for the same size have some difference in their electrical specifications and pysical appearance.

just curious, are you thinking of using 300 motor for building a robot?

Last edited by boydnhl; 03-10-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the prompt response.

Boydnhl.....build a robot? No robots for me, just wanna have fun.
Thinking of the 18 scale X-Ray truck. Any news about that?

Cheerio!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Cheerio!
Just get minizilla le...fun and parts support aplenty... hehe...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Cheerio!
yeah... hehehe cause i thought you want to increase the runtime so normally robot hobbyist will do that for certain function :d heheheh...

well if you are waiting for the 1/18 x-ray truck, you ll have to wait for few weeks <i think>. ever since the announcement of the stadium truck, there are no fix date for the release of the truck.

fyi, there is a kit to transform the staidum truck to become monster truck right?? so far i heard, that kit is not really in the release state yet. you ll have to wait even longer to have that kit available.

imo, the xray 1/18 truck is just a m18 with longer arms, bigger wheels, longer suspensio travels and different shock tower. in commonsense manner, you cant produce a great offroad car from installing those parts on a touring car chassis?? perhaps it can work better more as micro rally. from the pictures, i think the arms are too thin and fragile to abuses. youll have to keep spare parts.

is you want stadium truck.... there are other options such as 4WD RC18T <which is backorder, have to ask TP-racing whether it is available or not> or 2WD Mini-T.

if you want monster truck, i recommend Minizilla heehhee... super durable, except the dogbone and need some oil filled shocks . BTW AE is coming out with RC18MT. It is RC18T with bigger wheels and some other parts which make it look like a mini MT GT. Apart from that, you have PTIRacing MMT, Venom MGT, MiniQuake.

check out this thread

BTW, wher are you located?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree with boydnhl.

If you like speed, Team Associated's RC18T is already fast out of the box, with oil shocks and full bearings. However, it's not really suited for casual bashing because of all the exposed parts of the drive train. Probably a bit higher on the maintenance side compared to other minis.

If you like 2wd, get the Mini-T. It's cheaper than RC18T but doesn't come with oil shocks or wheel bearings or battery. Also, the electronics aren't compatible with most other systems on the planet (uses 4 wires instead of 3).

If you want a mini that can survive the hazards of the backyard and climb or jump over stones and garden hoses, then get a Minizilla. The drive train is mostly sealed I think(right, boydnhl?).
You can get the kit for about RM500 from HPC and plonk in your normal sized electronics.
There's a video of it here but I think this truck's been modified (it's got a wheeelie bar).

Oh ya, if you do get a minizilla, get the kit from HPC. I saw Toy City Midvalley selling the RTR version for about RM1500!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by sim600
I agree with boydnhl.

If you like speed, Team Associated's RC18T is already fast out of the box, with oil shocks and full bearings. However, it's not really suited for casual bashing because of all the exposed parts of the drive train. Probably a bit higher on the maintenance side compared to other minis.

If you like 2wd, get the Mini-T. It's cheaper than RC18T but doesn't come with oil shocks or wheel bearings or battery. Also, the electronics aren't compatible with most other systems on the planet (uses 4 wires instead of 3).

If you want a mini that can survive the hazards of the backyard and climb or jump over stones and garden hoses, then get a Minizilla. The drive train is mostly sealed I think(right, boydnhl?).
You can get the kit for about RM500 from HPC and plonk in your normal sized electronics.
There's a video of it here but I think this truck's been modified (it's got a wheeelie bar).

Oh ya, if you do get a minizilla, get the kit from HPC. I saw Toy City Midvalley selling the RTR version for about RM1500!

yeah 100% fully covered gears and full ball bearings.

well, one thing about mini-t is the middle part where the connection between the front and the chassis is kinda weak. when you uses powerful motor, the connection between the front and the chassis need to be reinforce.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guys or girls, !!

Cheers!
ahemmmmm.....hmmmm.... 1/18 scale?????
Old 03-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: 18 scale

Originally posted by Speed Demon
ahemmmmm.....hmmmm.... 1/18 scale?????
hahhaa... do you know him? hehehe.. it is nice to see another interested person in micro

sorry about the battery delay speeddemon. i will be having exam real soon, so it is hard for me to "run away" even when i need parts for my minizilla
will you be around somewhere at the end of the month or beginning of april?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Speed Demon,
Yes yes looking into getting my M18 up and running again but with a little more ummphhh!!

Interested to get an 18 scale truck for the convenience of practicing anywhere anytime and sure looks like alot of fun too. Road cars are quite a bother sometimes......need to find a flat/smooth area before having fun. Need to have fun bashing around without the detail for racing!!

What are the options for a brushless set up on these things?

Cheerio!!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Speed Demon,
Yes yes looking into getting my M18 up and running again but with a little more ummphhh!!

Interested to get an 18 scale truck for the convenience of practicing anywhere anytime and sure looks like alot of fun too. Road cars are quite a bother sometimes......need to find a flat/smooth area before having fun. Need to have fun bashing around without the detail for racing!!

What are the options for a brushless set up on these things?

Cheerio!!
you want ummph??? Get some GP1100 battery cells for your m18. SpeedDemon is selling it at a good price

what you say is true. that is why im having so much fun with my minizilla. i can basically run on anywhere anyplace. in fact, if that is the case, i think minizilla suits you more cause it can run on somewhere 1.5 to 2 inches of grass. i think if you get those stadium truck, it might slow you down or wont even move due to the drag of the grass.

hhmmm.... brushless. there are 1/10 scale brushless that you can put into m18 or micro scale such as lehner, hacker. Currently the only specially built for micro is MAMBA BRUSHLESS set. Maybe you have heard of the latest TEKIN SCORPION brushless which will be coming out in MAY or later.... cheerSS~~
Old 03-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default Stadium Truck

Actually I would prefer a truck coz i don't think i would be running on grass especially for those small little fellas.

And, I assume I would be able to get more speed out of a truck.....true?
What trucks are available out here in M'sia right now?

The only time I run off road now is on one of the meanest fastest offroad class.......8th scale buggies!!!

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

I have a mini-t with baja bug body ....

I take it with me to glenmarie now and then just to run it on the dirt . It runs on 6 cell AA batteries. On smaller jumps its really fun , but on larger jumps it looses momentum when it hits the top , so not that good... maybe a mod motor will fix that ..

These little things are pure fun with very little maintenance required.

HPC ,
If you build a mini off -road truck , I'm there man ...
Old 03-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

I have the baja bug body too. Haven't gotten the extended body posts to mount it yet. If the RC shop is out of stock, I might just glue and dremel my own mount out of some scrap plastic.

Let me guess... you painted your bug Tamiya Sand Scorcher style? I'm planning on doing that too. Might have to 'invest' in a 2nd body to race against you.

Catch you at Glenmarie one of these days.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Oh ya, how did you fit 6AA's into your Mini-T?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.