Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to remove anodize from alu?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Why would I want to remove anodize? Hehe, if u have any flat chassis rc, flip it over, enjoy the under chassis and u will know...

The chassis of my buggy is terribly scratched, and if I can remove the anodize of the under chassis, sand it back, repolish it... it will turn out bling bling!

I have tried using sand paper, it works with one rule, your will have to have strong arm!

But I didn't soak the chassis in any liquid remover before, I just sprayed a thin layer for twice to the same spot of the chassis, but it didn't quite work...

Thanks for all the help...
Old 02-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

wat i remember is tat oni titanium can b anodize n the process is non-reversible.
so once u do it,tat's it.
wat i read is tat alum cannot b anodize by using the coca cola etc...as 2 how the factory do it,dun ask mi.
but if u grind it away,it will affect the strength and even balance of the alum parts...
think twice,thrice...mayb even more times b4 u embark on it
Old 02-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by bargump
i believe some people remove the anodizing just because they want the original aluminium shine..
Do you know how fine sandpaper gets when it is 1,200 grit? It's used to finish paint jobs before the final buffing la. I used to build guitars and we use 600-800 grit on the wood to get it smooth and then after the final coat its 1,200 grit before the buffing wheel. Trust me it will not take out the aluminium if you wet sand it.

Also ... you can use fine steel wool after that to really make it shine. We use steel wool on guitar finger boards that are made of exotic woods or ebony, makes the wood shine la.

Still ... why the hell do you wanna remove the adonising when as siad that its to assist in keeping corrosion out?!
Old 02-23-2004, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For the looks I assume! It's always nicer to look "clean n naked", rather than dragging an old rag ain't?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Thats right tommi!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

why dont you just buy a spray of the color you like and just spray it that color? then if you scratch the bottom, spray that part again. Wouldnt that be easier?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by tIANcI
Do you know how fine sandpaper gets when it is 1,200 grit? It's used to finish paint jobs before the final buffing la. I used to build guitars and we use 600-800 grit on the wood to get it smooth and then after the final coat its 1,200 grit before the buffing wheel. Trust me it will not take out the aluminium if you wet sand it.

Also ... you can use fine steel wool after that to really make it shine. We use steel wool on guitar finger boards that are made of exotic woods or ebony, makes the wood shine la.

Still ... why the hell do you wanna remove the adonising when as siad that its to assist in keeping corrosion out?!
I know what u mean with the fine grit sandpaper. Thats's how hobbyist polish their hard body (ABS).. combination of fine grit sandpaper and wet sanding.

Hmm.. does aluminium prone to corrosion?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by bargump
I know what u mean with the fine grit sandpaper. Thats's how hobbyist polish their hard body (ABS).. combination of fine grit sandpaper and wet sanding.

Hmm.. does aluminium prone to corrosion?
I think it should be oxidation, white powdery formation.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go and get a oven cleaner.... spray them on the anodize alloy, let it sit there for a while, and rub it with a cloth......
Old 03-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

Speed,

I tried oven cleaner that I bought from ace hardware, it didn't seem to work, not a single spot, even after 3 res-spray to the same spot... can recon any brand name? and where to get, price? thanks.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Easy Off is the Shiznet!!!

Just got my new Academy SB Sport and didn't want the purple Aluminum parts, Just put some Easy Off oven cleaner in a plastic cup and Wah Lah!!!! The anodization just came off. No scrubbing or anything.....

Shawn