Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Looking at it alone is always never enough. You must understand why it is done the way it is done before you do the mod yourself. Copying alone cannot always guarantee a perfectly working engine
Very true, as each and every make of engine has it's own timing chart in degrees

Before any modification is to be done, the timing has to be charted out first, to see which area to modify, such as the transfer, induction or exhaust as all these will correspond with the performance.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Initial D,

Sure ASEAN race accepting 5 port turbo because it's ASEAN.

Every tom, dick and harry knows it.

Regarding the M Speed ever dyno it before???

You only know 30,000 rpm, everyone knows that. It's in the papers.

Do you know heat treatment constitute to brittleness. Why never use in r/c model engine because there's tolerance needed in the smaller scale engine.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Danny, of course these people who mod engines and use these HT processes know what they are doing. Engine modding in the first place is not for the faint hearted.

As for engine dynos, no, you don't need them. You can see two same and equally geared cars side by side on the straights on an on road track.

As for your statement about the Asean Gas Open race, it only goes to show that you only know off road stuff. All this while they have been limiting to only 3 port engines. So it was actually a costly event for some who only play 5 port engines as they needed to buy a 3 port piston sleeve set or get a complete new engine for the race. Only this year did they relaxed on this engine matter as it was becoming an unpopular topic amongst the racers.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by x_man
Very true, as each and every make of engine has it's own timing chart in degrees

Before any modification is to be done, the timing has to be charted out first, to see which area to modify, such as the transfer, induction or exhaust as all these will correspond with the performance.
Yup, correct... An example of how the engine timings are plotted out are as in the picture

Old 07-14-2003, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the chart. No wonder the engines are spiting fuel with the 160D exhaust openning.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:27 AM
Tech Prophet

If your engine is spitting fuel, the HSN is very rich. Lean it out little by little (5 minute movements) once the engine is stable and up to temp.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it spits out fuel during the warm up, after that its ok.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

InitialD,

Whether it's off road and on road. It's the same stuff. Rules are rules. Market demand is just another agenda.

There are rules to follow. Why there are no rules in ASEAN. Like I said before, because this is ASEAN. Everybody is talking about making money and spending in ASEAN.

There are no rules to be fair and square. Basically, you got the $, chances of winning is higher. Providing you got the skill.

Your statement of people using a 5 port engine, it is more expensive to buy another 3 port is far too expensive, huh??
How much does one 3 port engine costs??

I just believe in fairness. Your concept of looking at the car side by side is rather amateurish, don't you think?? Who is interested in looking at the car side by side?? Dyno is for you to see max performance of the engine. Retard or advance timing the timing required some tool of measurement to determined the level of performance.

Ever wonder what different pipe length can do?? Same thing, no need a dyno, use a stop watch also can. Your chart, I do agree though.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:27 AM
ruD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well,,, ASEAN next year will still continue to run on 5 port engines but with FOAM tires instead of rubber tires....of coz FOAM are alwaz better choice!

By the way, the secret to winning doesnt really have to be a super powerful engine although it does contribute in a way...but consistent fast laps with minimum mistakes helps the most.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Danny, of course these people who mod engines and use these HT processes know what they are doing. Engine modding in the first place is not for the faint hearted
Heat treatment can only apply to ferrous metals which in this case is at the crankshaft only(except Stainless Steel), there is no way that you can heat treat alloy parts like the casing, conrod or piston.

i believe the heat treatment process you mentioned here is the stress relieving treatment, which is carried out after the modification work eg. drilling, milling, grinding & etc, to relief the stess the materials is subjected to.

This process is carried out by heating the parts to a certain degree celsius (very important), and slowly cooling it down to room temperature.

Heat treatment of the crankshaft is possible if the heating and quenching temperature of material is controlled. The level of hardness in this matter could also be controlled by varying the heating, cooling temperature and cooling medium.

Anyone who wants to modify their engine or try to modify other's engine should have a knowledge in Strength of Material and Material Engineering and Thermodynamics.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Prophet

x_man, are you a metalurgist or holding a mechanical engineering degree by any chance?

My bad. I used the heat treatment term wrongly in my last reply.

Cooling at faster rates provides for harder material but then it makes the material brittle. Is that correct?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

A Technical & Service Manager for a Swedish Turbine Company, which deals with large 2 stroke main engines and Steam/Gas turbines for ships.
Some of the material for these engines are so exotic, i do even know how to pronounce them!

Anyway, are you an engineer too?

By the way the chart which you have posted, shows quite a bit of duration on the exhaust and inlet, i believe this is not a standard timing or rather the one that shows the timing of a ported engine.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:33 PM
ruD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now this is the area I surrender! U guys are real technologist!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Cooling at faster rates provides for harder material but then it makes the material brittle. Is that correct?
You are partly correct. the medium of cooling is also very important, eg. the density/viscosity of the cooling agent, Silicon oil, mineral oil, or others all these plays a part in the final result.

Heating mild steel with carbon powder makes carbonized steel and like wise with silicate steels. All these steels has to be destructive tested (by means of indentation, shearing test, compressive/tensile testing) before any application to find their hardness number, plasticity enlongation and tensile strength.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Swedish turbine company? ABB / Alsthom? Maybe not as I think they only do large scale gas turbines for cogen plants.

In my line of work, I do apply some knowledge of the usage of materials for different corrosive and erosive environments. Different surface treatment, different corrosion resistant alloys and such to be used in offshore.

My knowledge of metals is only limited to the application and usage. RT, LPI/MPI and such are in my scope of knowledge. Not so much the foundry part of the metal quenching and cooling process. That's only uni days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.