Wiki Posts
Search

Beginners why spend so much?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Unfortunately, all my engines are rojak engines because I'm constantly experimenting. So you can say that I have a "race" engine. Just one that I put up specially which I think will give the best reliability and power

Yes, Jaco tires have this thing that it splits after a while. It has got something to do with the glue that they use to glue the multi rings / different compound tires onto the rims. But then they mentioned that it was still alright to use them and I find that to be true. Still works

What shore are you using? I find that the 40 shore ones are reliable. The 35 shore ones chunk quite easily at the side but still not as bad as UFRA and Ellegi or the other GRP tire brands. Those are my findings. But then again, I may be wrong. When I started out foams, my handling was still bad. At that time, I only used Ellegi and UFRA foams tires. Probably that constitutes to the bad statistic I have with those brands

But all in all, Jaco grips better and wears longer than the UFRA or the Ellegis.
Me using shore 40 too. Quite long lasting but chunks like hell. Maybe my camber is insufficient. Now at 2.5 for the rear. Handling improve tremedously after I rebuilt the shocks. Also front tires seems to outlast two sets of foams. Still at 63mm while the rears wore to 60mm. Must go buy more rear foams but money is running out!!! Titiwangsa is really fun when the track is dry but my handling still suck esp. at the far end. I cant really see the track. Looking at the missing rails I think it was probably taken out by some really fast car!. Have yet to see the 1/8 in action but saw a 950, really beautiful. Wish I had the cash to own one.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Tech Prophet

I've also heard the rumour that in HRS mode, you will not have the fail safe feature. That's one of the wrong rumours I'm referring to. In HRS mode, you still have fail safe feature in the 3PK. The reason why HRS is in FM mode is because it is faster than PCM mode.

Not all shops have tire truers. I know the benefits of truing your tires down to a certain size. However I don't see how different it is when you use a new foam tire that is properly trued to say 63 mm than from the foams tires that you use it down to 63 mm. Same difference.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by spawn
Me using shore 40 too. Quite long lasting but chunks like hell. Maybe my camber is insufficient. Now at 2.5 for the rear. Handling improve tremedously after I rebuilt the shocks. Also front tires seems to outlast two sets of foams. Still at 63mm while the rears wore to 60mm. Must go buy more rear foams but money is running out!!! Titiwangsa is really fun when the track is dry but my handling still suck esp. at the far end. I cant really see the track. Looking at the missing rails I think it was probably taken out by some really fast car!. Have yet to see the 1/8 in action but saw a 950, really beautiful. Wish I had the cash to own one.
How all of us wish we had plenty of cash to own a 950

Titiwangsa track is very notoriuos for chunking tires. Especially the far end section where you described that you had difficulties. The edge before coming into the longest straight has very sharp edges, thanks to the 1/8th scale. They put cement some time back to mend the sharp edges but that didn't stop the 1/8th scale from hitting it. If your car goes very close to that edge, chances that you scrub the side of the foam tires withth e sharp edges is high and ultimately you chunk your tires To negotiate that corner, you need to go with the force... You need to feel the force flowing through you and let the force take control

2.5 for the rear camber of a NTC3 is not large enough (I think). You probably need 3 to 3.5. Are your tires coning (outside diameter smaller than inside diameter)?
Old 05-21-2003, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

my camber is 2.5 front 3.5 rear but my tires still coning. should i increase to 4.5 ? i oso hear in titiwangsa one side (4got which) side should be more by 1 maybe attributed to the corners ?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Funny thing about NTC3 is that at 2.5 rear I get conning on the inside. I tried 2 and it is better. For the front I use 2 and it is perfectly straight. May be the shock oil and piston I am using. 50wt ft and 40wt rr. Learnt that after the Shah Alam race coz after running 5min 4X, the coning is very obvious.

Pokemon, for your car, you need to change the position of your upper link. I told you that the inside must always be higher than outside otherwide you get ice-cream cone tires. Move the inner link to a lower position since your shock tower have many lubang while the outer link to a higher position so that when you take the turn, you wheel will angle up to the road. For the perfect position, well you have to try it out.

Anyone for Titiwangsa this Saturday morning?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

HRS receiver only has signal fail safe. While PCM1024 receiver has both signal & battery fail safe

According to NTC3 form tyres setup in last page of the manual, front camber -2 and rear -3 degree respectively. Beside that you also need to increase rear drop to -4. I had tried it and my tyres didn't have conning problem.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Now I am really confused with the HRS.

Luckily never got one of those. Real headache.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Rookie

the reason why some players set at -3 deg and still cone more than those who set at -2 deg is due to the shocks setting. Try hardening the spring. Or the easier way, put more negative until the coning stops
Old 05-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Hi there guys, I'm new here at this forum and back into RC once again after a long lapse.

Danny, How are you doing buddy? This is Andy Dass.

I agree with your views on beginners spending too much. Take it easy, the hobby is not going anywhere, right? Financial burnout is something to consider.

Especially now with the use of modified engines and foams in 1/10 nitro Touring. Sometimes its really not necessary to use high powered engines; for example on smaller tracks but it sure is nice to have one though.

The way I spend is to think of it this way....Do you want it? or Do you need it?

I know it's a lot of fun to option up but be careful of the spending bug! because once it bites it's kinda tough to shake it off.

Take it easy, Andy
Old 05-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

well, to my extend, we certainly would like to classify our very own "malaysian" top 10.... however, there ain't a top class race to verify these claims......

well, if we were to credit the guyz from local / international races, sometimes it ain't fair as different organisers (local) has different ways of running a race while not many could afford to attend an international event!

so any1 willing to plan a local "international" class race just like de one in 2001??? which was organised by hobby heaven, subang, ISTC Malaysia 2001......

enjoy

Originally posted by jfc_tech
Well, i wanna add my list on this Malaysian driver...since we Sabahan also Malaysian, right?!
This is my choice...not in order also...so guys who know me...be patient & don't be mad if i put you last...whoever comes to my mind first..u firstlah.

(1) Samuel
(2) Gary (recent Tawau EP & GP Champion)
(3) David
(4) Alan Ng
(5) Danny
(6) Anderson
(7) Ah Wah
(8) Daniel Fung
(9) KK Lee
(10) Charles

Labuan: Chris Han (recent Labuan GP Champion)
To those names are not here...sorry you're not forgotten but i just don't know how to spell yer names

Old 05-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

walau..pandora box = andy dass a main driver

i suppose u choose the nick coz rc is like a pandora box..once open (sangkut in this case) hells breaks free (in this case money from ur wallet)

your contribution would be valuable for us novices.....
Old 05-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

spawn..
i would try ur suggestion on camber angle. hopefully it works so can save money on premature ais cream cone tyres..
Old 05-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by crazy
the reason why some players set at -3 deg and still cone more than those who set at -2 deg is due to the shocks setting. Try hardening the spring. Or the easier way, put more negative until the coning stops
position of shocks plays a part....more laid down more chamber change....
Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by vones
position of shocks plays a part....more laid down more chamber change....
vones, are you sure the shock position will affect the change in camber? I thought it is the upper linkage that can affect how fast camber changes? different shock position affect the stiffness of the suspension, the more laydown, the stiffer it is.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Helooooooooooo Andy, my top 10 driver.

Good to hear you are back.

How's things lately?? Wish you well man!!!

Regarding the issue not spending much, nice advice. At least it's coming from a top driver in the country.

How's your 1/10th race lately??

Interested in our Johor National Day buggy race in Johor?? Long time never see you perform, tell your mate to come too if you got time. Including Richard How.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.