Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas >

New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas

Hello Racers,
Dodge City Raceway Park (DCRP) is adding a permanent Outdoor Off-road R/C track to its facility. I will be coming out to help build the track April 4th, 5th and 6th. The first race to be held there will be the following weekend at the TORC event, April 12th and 13th. The TORC Event will be a all Traxxas Slash R/C race. After that they will be looking to get a regular racing program going with classes for both 1/10th and 1/8th scale, and classes for both Electric and Nitro. Tommie Estes is the person in charge at the DCRP facility and he will be the person to find out more info about the track as things start taking shape, his number is 405-238-8485. For now I will be coming to help with the track build and to Run the races for Traxxas at the TORC Event. I talked with Tommie about the track and it sounds like we will have plenty of space to build a decent size track, with power and water available right next to the track. He’s not sure what they will do for a drivers stand just yet, but Traxxas has a 32 ft. drivers stand we will be using for the TORC race. After that they will explore some different options on a permanent stand. I hope this thread will help get the ball rolling down there for some good local support for the track. This will be my 5th year running the TORC R/C races for Traxxas, but being from Minnesota I won’t be much help after the intial build and race, but I hope this facility will become a regular stop on the TORC Schedule and we’ll be back every year. Anybody who wants to lend a hand or check it out please feel free to stop by next Friday or Sat! Here’s a quick run down of the Traxxas TORC Race R/C Schedule for the weekend:

Friday April 12th:

1:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. = Open track

Saturday April 13th:

10:00 A.M. = Open track

11:30 A.M. = Drivers Meeting

12:00 P.M. = 1st Round of qualifing begins

5:45 P.M. = Pro Drivers R/C Challenge

2 - Rounds of 5 minute qualifing and the Mains

2 - Driver bump ups from all lower Mains

Awards for top 3 in all classes

Off Road Classes:

1) Sportsman - Beginner/ Youth class (Stock 2WD or 4WD)

2) Pro-Lite - Stock Slash (2WD)

3) Pro-2 - Mod. Slash (2WD)

4) Pro-4 - Mod. Slash (4WD)

Friday practice is FREE
Race fees are $10.00 for 1st class, $5.00 for any additional classes
( Note race fees do NOT include admission to TORC Race!)

I hope you will come join us for a great weekend of Racing at DCRP!!

Thanks alot!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Hey, its cool to see something like this forming at the raceway. I spoke to Tommy two years ago offering to build an rc dirt oval at the track to help promote the big track and get more people to attend the races with no luck because he said there was no place to put one.

R/C dirt oval is healthy in the central US and one of the bigger classes is the short course dirt modified class. Both spec Slash and open short course classes are offered. I firmly believe a dirt oval would help the raceway and I would be more than happy to help in any way possible.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Doug, That will be something I talk to Tommie about when I get out there. If there's enough room, maybe set it up so the Drivers stand is 2 sided and works for both tracks. Definitly have to check things out better when I get out there.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Doug it was nice to meet you! The facility there is awesome! After talking it over with Tommie and checking out the layout, we decided to go for 2 tracks, I did the off-road track with a dirt oval next to it. The driverstand will be in the middle and cover both tracks. It sounds like they are willing to do (spend!) alot on R/C related stuff for the facility if there is enough interest. I finished the off-road track and got a good start on the oval. I will be back out on thursday to put up a temp driver stand and get things ready for the weekend. I'm wondering if anybody has a gallon of 20% fuel I can buy on next friday, not to easy to bring on the plane!! The track looks fun and I can't wait to drive it. Here's a few pics, hope to see some Slash racers next weekend!
Attached Thumbnails New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas-torc-dodge-city-011.jpg   New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas-torc-dodge-city-014.jpg   New R/C Racetrack at Dodge City Raceway Park, Kansas-torc-dodge-city-016.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

It was great meeting you too. Sorry about the working conditions but that is why you see wind farms all over this area.

I was going to post the pics I took on that windy day but the 45-50mph gusts made all my pics fuzzy.

We did go out after work tonight to do some work but the big track crew took all the machinery in order to make changes to the big layout and the stakes are not here yet. We still need to level the oval pad out and then we can get to work on the layout.

Maybe that shop in Sublette has fuel?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Looks SWEET!!! When do you need fuel by; I have some I can ship out that way... at least a couple of quarts to get you by....
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Sweet

Track looks sick really looking forward to racing my big truck and toy cars just wondering if there is in indoor 1/10 close by I can run it.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Chris, it is needed this weekend. Come on out and watch the Traxxas TORC series Fri night with us. We have the MDRA event at Newton Sat.

Superbuggy33, the is a really nice indoor offroad track in Garden City which is 45min west of Dodge City. Eric Larson owns/runs it. Need4speed is the name of the place. Not sure if they have any slashes left over there but it would be cool if they could come race this weekend at the DCRP track.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Doug, thanks for the info! Myself, Superbuggy33(CJ Greaves), and our entire team look forward to running at the track when we are not busy with the TORC races. We have a fleet of Team Associated cars we will be running as CJ is sponsored by them. We may look up the indoor track tomorrow night if time and weather permits us.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

I had planned to come out but sketchy weather this week is keeping me out of W KS PLUS credentials were never arranged..... I had been looking really forward to it too!

Soooo, looks like my first shot at shooting will be the Robby Gordon series in STL.....
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Sad the oval is not done. Would have been cool to let you guys take some oval cars for a spin. Nothing like a 2wd sprint car with a 5.5 motor, Rebar or Impact tires on a good bite track!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Chris, since this photo shoot would be for RC Driver magazine I assume I bet we could get you those credentials. Not sure why DRCP, Traxxas and USAC would not enjoy the publicity in a national magazine.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Doug Gaut
Chris, since this photo shoot would be for RC Driver magazine I assume I bet we could get you those credentials. Not sure why DRCP, Traxxas and USAC would not enjoy the publicity in a national magazine.
I thought about that BUT characteristically if they don't assign it (and arrange it) it doesn't get published....I've re-worked my week and head to NE tomorrow - partially due to weather (I have one in Hoxie) and also to be able to get right back home....

Sooooo, Alex, Ski and crew better run and hide!!!