Search

To Blink and Wink?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron P
I didn't see any post talking shit on Letko, that's why I was confused. I'm probably one of few racers from Topeka that have actually been to Letko, and I think it's a nice place.
IMO I think we all are getting a litte to serious. Wasnt long ago we didnt have any tracks to run on. Nearest track was Chillocothe MO. Now their is 3 with in a hour's drive! Think sometimes ppl need to take a step back and realize how good we actually have it.

And not to defend anyone but I would have to agree their has been lots of drama lately in the world of RC racing. It really has taken the fun out of the hobby for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Barney needs a purple Bat!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If someone were talking how Letko sucks or not that is FINE with me. I have been experimenting with a balance of track styles with different purposes. I am a little rusty, sometimes I don't have the energy to make some of the changes I would like.

I have always said positive things about Jakes, and Fastlane. I believe there are a LOT more racers who can be invited out of the ranks of R/C owners and we are growing a fair amount of them now.

The fact that we operate with a more open rule set in Stock classes hurts nobody. I blame ROAR either for being short sighted in this area or they just don't really care about stock racing. Fastlane, and Jakes by following ROAR are making a fair decision, a decision that I don't make, but if we make enough noise maybe ROAR will insert some common sense in their motor rule. I could be wrong, but what they have now sure seems more of a game than a competition rule.

I strongly believe a long term fix will come from the use of dynamic ESC timing and an increase in the winds, to a 21.5 or even a 22.5 new motor phased in or announced for 2014. That would reduce the overall potential, but still allow for advance and crisp operation in the class. Heat would be reduced and we would not be heating so much from high static timing.

Let me return to why I posted this reply. I have read nothing slamming Letko, and I am aware of the mild criticisms, that's okay, we are growing and steadily improving. I would invite anyone to come and check us out, if you don't like it yet wait some time and try it again, or not. You are the customer, and I respect your decisions like us or not.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Bill, although some will share your opinion. From looking at this whole mess from this trinity stock motor thing many also argue that stock blinky has made tech much easier and racing closer than ever.

Honestly things are no different then they were in the 90s. Back then you had to find matched batteries with that little bit more voltage and peoe thiught roar should have done something about that, you had the expensive stock comm lathe many thought should have been outlawed. When you look at costs. I remeber back then stock motors were 35 bucks but normally you had to have 2, then you had to have a supply of brushes because the soft ones wore out faster. Batteries you needed 3 one for practice and I remeber to be competitive my dad spent 80 to 100 per pack....so really and not counting inflation how much more does it cost now to be competitive compare to all those years ago?

Funny the timing of the post due the trinity motor so I am betting roar is not very popular right now. But I recommend writing a letter with your suggestions bill and sending them to roar. There is a new front office there so you never know. But it is what we have. Aside from stock motors the tires, wheels, car/truck specs all conform to roar and ifmar.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jonebonekc
nah i actually took all my meds this morning thanks! but everytime i hear someone from topeka talking shit on letko, i just shake my head. they are trying and doing a damn good job with what they are working with.... if letko sucks so bad, and jakes n fastlane are so great, maybe you should go check out some facilities on each coast. just saying again!
good to see u defending letko now when they first opened u where the one talking shit and saying they sucked
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Boost will never be allowed again on the national level. 17.5 is pretty much settled law for stock. On a track like mine there is a 2 second or more difference per lap between it and modified. I would hate to have to tell my customers that they have to buy a 21.5 or whatever to compete in stock after it took so long to finally agree on what a brushless stock is.

We did that enough when we went from 10.5 to 13.5 to 17.5 in the early years.

Last edited by FroBoy; 01-20-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Talking

I love this Track.....
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default Write Roar--- Okay...

Originally Posted by David Alberico
Bill, although some will share your opinion. From looking at this whole mess from this trinity stock motor thing many also argue that stock blinky has made tech much easier and racing closer than ever.

Honestly things are no different then they were in the 90s. Back then you had to find matched batteries with that little bit more voltage and peoe thiught roar should have done something about that, you had the expensive stock comm lathe many thought should have been outlawed. When you look at costs. I remeber back then stock motors were 35 bucks but normally you had to have 2, then you had to have a supply of brushes because the soft ones wore out faster. Batteries you needed 3 one for practice and I remeber to be competitive my dad spent 80 to 100 per pack....so really and not counting inflation how much more does it cost now to be competitive compare to all those years ago?

Funny the timing of the post due the trinity motor so I am betting roar is not very popular right now. But I recommend writing a letter with your suggestions bill and sending them to roar. There is a new front office there so you never know. But it is what we have. Aside from stock motors the tires, wheels, car/truck specs all conform to roar and ifmar.
I will send to ROAR and see what comes...

In the end the customers will get what they want, ROAR or not.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default This post

Originally Posted by RoadKing
I love this Track.....
Don't you mean you love this post....
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

"Part of the resistance to ESC timing comes from those who have perfected the blinky mode, they do not want other drivers to be the same speed as they are." - Bill Williams.

"I can impose rules which create fairness and sportsmanship, that I can defend, there is no way to explain or defend the idea that you can advance however you like on the motor, but you can't do the same in the ESC. To me it is not a discussion worth having." - Bill Williams.

Both statements sound very logical to me...does logic rule in America today?...nope!...can logic compete in America today?...there were over 50 entries at Letko (RCR MS) Saturday night...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default Timeline

Originally Posted by FroBoy
Boost will never be allowed again on the national level. 17.5 is pretty much settled law for stock. On a track like mine there is a 2 second or more difference per lap between it and modified. I would hate to have to tell my customers that they have to buy a 21.5 or whatever to compete in stock after it took so long to finally agree on what a brushless stock is.

We did that enough when we went from 10.5 to 13.5 to 17.5 in the early years.
I tend to agree with you on this not changing on a national scale. Personally, I took time off racing from 1991-spring 2008, when I returned there were brushless but few if any ESC's with timing advance, at least that I was aware of.

I'm curious, you mention it took a long time to go from 10.5-17.5, that was clearly prior to advancing ESC's.

I'm guessing the rational was to create a stock class which was more drivable and better for the sportsman and learning masses, whatever you want to call them.

With the advent of improved technology i.e.: ESC-Timing advance, wouldn't it make sense to at least review the clearly arbitrary choice of a 17.5, and add in the possibility of ESC advance and review the choice in light of the problems it creates?

A variable timing is clearly a better and more efficient use of brushless motors. Since it was not around at the time of the decision to go 17.5, perhaps a review would be in order. Not making it today's rule, but phase it in.

ROAR is not going to tell TRAXXAS what to do, nor is any hobby store. This type of consumer (Traxxas buyers) are supporting most all the sport. Instead of digging in and saying never, they might be better served to be responsive and create a solution which addresses more factors without conflict.

Do you know the argument or reasoning to allow end-bell timing but not ESC timing? To me that makes little sense, or I'm just not getting it.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCPlains
"Part of the resistance to ESC timing comes from those who have perfected the blinky mode, they do not want other drivers to be the same speed as they are." - Bill Williams.

"I can impose rules which create fairness and sportsmanship, that I can defend, there is no way to explain or defend the idea that you can advance however you like on the motor, but you can't do the same in the ESC. To me it is not a discussion worth having." - Bill Williams.

Both statements sound very logical to me...does logic rule in America today?...nope!...can logic compete in America today?...there were over 50 entries at Letko (RCR MS) Saturday night...
Glad to hear about the turnouts. Bill has done a great job brining his visiin to light. I dont think this rule would impact one way or another to be honest. I remember steve at fastlane and blue vue had guys show up with mod systems and saw they were having trouble so he had them gear down and out them in stock, the cream still rises to the top. Even though this sounds logical to you or a few roar is still a majority based system and by reading thriugh this trinity deal in the electric forums it is very apperant that 17.5 will be stock for the forseeable furture, and the "blinky" rules do seem the most popular.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default Letko Name Change

Originally Posted by RCPlains

Thank You, and we are still working on the expansion, and the name change is SHAWNEE RACEWAY, we are in Shawnee, Kansas and there are some reasons politically to use the name Shawnee. Just changed last week.

The week we should put the expansion to bed, then I will make it all published beyond a BBS or forum...

Getting back to timing, it seems odd to allow the literal meltdown of motors from physical timing advance but outlaw the more practical and efficient use of dynamic advance.

You do see where ROAR is going GREEN and starting to promote 4-strokes in 1/8th scale. Isn't it more GREEN to save energy and use it more efficiently as in dynamic timing? What if we had to drive our Chevrolet, Fords, and automobiles without dynamic timing, they would terrible and inefficient.

How can they defend a rule which assures the waste of resources? In melted motors, energy converted to heat instead of motion? One might extrapolate the numbers and discover megawatts of energy being wasted in a year or so!

SAVE THE EARTH, ALLOW DYNAMIC TIMING!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Lol. That is also like telling nascar to use 4 cylinder with turbo
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Burn up a motor purchase another! Sure seems like Roar is looking out for the supplier and the consumer. I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.