Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avon RC Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Avon RC Track

This is the layout for the temporary off-road track that we are working on for the Spring Fling RC Festival on May 2nd at Avon Town Hall Park. The Spring Fling is a one day event featuring RC airplanes, boats, and RC trucks. All will be there at the same time! The Avon Parks Department has distributed hundreds of flyers to all area schools, church groups, YMCA's, etc. So, we could have a BIG turnout. Hoping for a great day of weather. Rain date is May 9th.

Permanent track:

I'm also helping the Avon Parks Department with a permanent RC park that they plan to create in between Avon and Indianapolis on park property that they currently own. This facility will feature an RC off-road track and a 3 acre lake all in the same location.

More to come on that. I work for an architecture firm full time so they asked me if I would help them with their plans knowing that I've been involved in a lot of park projects. To date, we have unanimous approval from the Avon Park Board to move forward on the RC park idea. And, I'm happy to report that we recently received unanimous approval from the Avon Town Council.

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-rc-track-layout-ih.jpg   Avon RC Track-aerial-rc-activity-locations-medium.jpg   Avon RC Track-posterspringflingrevisedapril1280x828.jpg  
Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks like a 1/10 scale track. Best of luck Scott.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Tim. Hobby RC contacted me and they have EIGHT Slash trucks with batteries and chargers they are bringing! I can't thank Bill Pennington enough for arranging that with Traxxas. Many are bringing their own vehicles, but now we will have trucks for new people to run!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

This is the spot where the temporary track will go. You can see the maintenance building in the background. So we will have some power available. Still, bring charged batteries and/or some way to charge. Once pipe is down, they are scalping the grass down to the dirt. They said not to worry about killing grass. They will just re-seed.

I can't tell you how cool Avon Parks has been to work with.

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-image.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Nice signage. Avon Parks is putting this big banner out on US 36. Two-sided!

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-image.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

you know putting it out on the Indiana Rc Racing page gets the word out more about the track than on here. Feel free to do so.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Nevermind, I see it on your tag line now. Was tired last night. Thanks

I looked for a page, but didn't find it. I'm doing on road these days. Can you link me? Here on RC Tech?

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 04-29-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

https://www.facebook.com/groups/318194191597049/
Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

I posted information there. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

RC track layout is now done! Overall size is 60 x 90. I was sure happy to have Avon Parks help with this! I was at work while this was happening.

Tomorrow, they will mow down to the dirt.

I'm taking Friday off, so I should have time to get some jumps made since so much was done today. Will depend on manpower of course. We've got several volunteers coming to help.

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-trackpipephoto-1.jpg   Avon RC Track-trackpipephoto-2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

For those of you who attended the Spring Fling RC Festival, you know it was just great! We could have not asked for a nicer day of weather! Perfect...72 degrees and light winds. Enough for the sailboats but not too much for the airplanes.

We had over 75 participants show up and assuming each brought 2-3 things with them, we figure we had well over 200 radio control contraptions going that day! Spectators was at least 300. Its hard to tell in a park that big. That was just the general guess.

The big news is the RC track was non-stop! Hobby RC brought out 8 slash trucks along with batteries, chargers and several staff members to keep them going all day long! They did a special deal with Traxxas to make that happen for us. No other hobby shop offered anything like that. And, they offered, I didn't ask! Needless to say, they have earned some sincere loyalty from me. I always try to buy from my local hobby shop. Hobby RC is on the absolute wrong side of town from me, but I'm still going to go there for some big purchases. They deserve it.

I have received hundreds of photos via the IndyHobbies facebook page and the Indy Admirals Facebook page. I'll try to post some of the best here.

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-dsc_0017r.jpg   Avon RC Track-dsc_0021r.jpg   Avon RC Track-dsc_0019r.jpg   Avon RC Track-dsc_0108r.jpg   Avon RC Track-dsc_0110rc.jpg  

Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Some more great photos...

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-dsc_0112r.jpg   Avon RC Track-crowd.jpg   Avon RC Track-crowd1.jpg   Avon RC Track-track.jpg   Avon RC Track-track1.jpg  

Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

I've got more, but I'd fill up this forum with them. Check these out, then I'll fill you in on the latest developments for the PERMANENT track!

iPhone Panorama photo:

My Traxxas Slash. Stock with Speedflo body.

The guys from Hobby RC worked their butts off! Thank you HOBBY RC!

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-aaapanorama.jpg   Avon RC Track-img_2120.jpg   Avon RC Track-img_2137r.jpg   Avon RC Track-img_2188r.jpg   Avon RC Track-img_2184r.jpg  

Old 05-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

UPDATE on TRACK!

The concept of building a permanent track has been discussed put in front of the Town of Avon. The Avon Park Board voted unanimously to approve moving forward on one. Then, I went in front of the Avon Town Council and did a PowerPoint presentation about RC racing and tracks and successfully showed them why it would be a really nice addition to their park & recreation amenities.

The result was that the Avon Town Council voted unanimously to approve moving forward with a permanent Avon RC Track as well!

The initial idea was to use a piece of property behind Ashley Furniture on US 36 in Avon. This property is located on the south end Gable Drive. This property is owned by the Town of Avon and they currently use it for their salt storage building. You can see that it also features a 3 acre lake and a perfect spot to build a massive RC track on the western side! The property is up against the CSX rail yard, which is really noisy. The upside is NO complaining neighbors to worry about! There is also ample parking because the Town owns much of the rear apron of asphalt for right of way behind Ashley Furniture. This would be a true "RC Fun Park" concept.

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-avontowncouncilmeetingmarch25th2015.jpg   Avon RC Track-aerialavonrcfunpark.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

When we first discussed a permanent off-road track for Avon, the Avon Parks people were thinking about the spot there in Avon Town Hall Park where we ended up building the temporary track for the Spring Fling.

Its a great location (see green cloud area in photo below) with clean, modern bathrooms nearby, electricity, water, and great visibility so that those coming to the park would see the race track in action. The big concern was parking. If we have big day at the RC track, their parking lot could fill up. At that point, the property off Gable Drive seemed like the best choice. Wide open spaces and plenty of parking.

However, at the Spring Fling RC Festival, the Town Manager ran trucks along with his family at our one-day track. He had a great time and came off the driver's stand smiling. "Those are a lot harder to drive than I expected," he told me. He then said, "Hey, about the RC track... I know we've been thinking we might build it down at Gable Park, but I want to see us build here, and I want to build it now!" He was having a great time.

Well, that was that! And the rest, as they say, is history. LOL

So, we will be building the permanent track at Avon Town Hall Park, right where the temporary one was located for the Spring Fling. If it gets to be too big in terms of attendance, and too much of a parking problem, then in a couple of years it will move to the larger property behind Ashley Furniture.

I like this solution the best. It makes sense.

Yes, the spot behind Ashley is like the ultimate place to go for those of us already in the hobby. But new people won't know its there, and they won't be exposed to RC racing unless they accidentally find it, or we spend $ advertising it. By starting the RC track out at the Avon Town Hall Park, people will see it. Lots of people! Its the best place to get it going for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Avon RC Track-aerial_rc_activity_locations_medium.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.