Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Georgia Racing
THinking of joining the Air Force. >

THinking of joining the Air Force.

THinking of joining the Air Force.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default THinking of joining the Air Force.

hello good friends i go to talk to a recruiter friday about all of it. me and my future wife have been talking a while about it and we are just tired of working at dead end jobs well at least i am. so i will have my Losi Gas buggy up for sale probably if i do decide to join in. but let me know what you guys think if im making the right decision or the wrong decision. thanks tim hobbs.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I never joined the military, but a lot of my friends did. It can be rewarding if you take it seriously and take advantage of all the training and educational opportunities. Try to get a job/role in the AF that will transition to the private world.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm not sure your age but I went into the Army 3 months after graduating high school. This was 92-94 I was in and was the best time I have had. With the Air Force I would look into a skill that you can market on the civilian side if you wish not to stay in. You will make lots of good friends for life and be in the best shape. Take advantage of every opportunity you can! If you crave action then join the Parajumpers and go rescue downed pilots behind enemy lines.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

i thank you guys for the advice but im a year to old to join the age stopage was at 27 oh well life goes on. thanks for the advice though guys.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck to you and I hope you do well. I'm almost 40 and not serving in the military was one of my biggest regrets. Was all set for an rotc full ride scholarship and my high school didn't stamp my transcript when they sent in my packet back when I was a senior. The air force wouldn't even consider me that year because of that. Me, being a stubborn 18 year old kid said to hell with it and moved on. I wish I hadn't. I will tell you that I know several folks in the air force past and present and I will tell ya I think it is by far the best branch to go in. Best bases. Best housing. All that good stuff. Anyway, didn't mean to ramble but I do salute you and hope all goes well. All our military guys are WAY underappreciated.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh well, just saw you last message. You are still good for Army, Navy, or Marines. I think Army is 35 Navy I think is 34 and Marines are 28 best I remember. I looked at doing it myself a few years ago and found out I was too old. Might want to check with the Air Nat'l Guard too. I can't remember the age cutoffs for them.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by hobbstimothy
i thank you guys for the advice but im a year to old to join the age stopage was at 27 oh well life goes on. thanks for the advice though guys.
Dang..oh well, so what are your work skills and interests? Maybe someone on the forum has similar experience and can point you in a particular direction?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Maybe part time also.....Air Force reserve I think takes you up to 34 also.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cptxaggie
Dang..oh well, so what are your work skills and interests? Maybe someone on the forum has similar experience and can point you in a particular direction?
ah work experience is just ware house work assembly work team leader work on ware house floor and 5 to 6 years of driving heisters or pallet jacks. thats about it man. pretty much factory is all i know lol plus electrican work to when i was working construction to. so if any one knows of anything let me know for sure.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

current enlistment cutoff ages...

Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.
Air Force - 27
Navy - 34
Marines - 28
Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).

I would look at the Navy. The basic training is like Club Med.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Regional Moderator

Check up in N. Chattanooga / Cleveland TN area a lot of jobs up there (i hear). New huge high tech plant going in Cleveland company called Wacker. Also Amazon warehouse, VW, Whirlpool, Mars Candy, Olin Chems, Proctor and Gamble/Duracell, Rubbermaid.....
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TIMEWEASEL
Maybe part time also.....Air Force reserve I think takes you up to 34 also.
try the reserve first then re up to active. Then go for it. Being a veteran means I can tell you this. If you are in any combat MOS it could bite you back. Go with anything that keeps you from the bullits. Work in admin or any office job or non combat job then get your 20 in and retire with a check every month. No pain is better than medals.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

WOW! A true American hero. You have no problem collecting a Government check and bragging about not earning it. Kids are dying everyday to give you and me the freedom to do what we want and all you are worried about is collecting free money. This may not be any of my business, but I work for a company that flies injured soldiers and bodies of dead soldiers home to their families every week and that comment really offends me!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hobbstimothy
hello good friends i go to talk to a recruiter friday about all of it. me and my future wife have been talking a while about it and we are just tired of working at dead end jobs well at least i am. so i will have my Losi Gas buggy up for sale probably if i do decide to join in. but let me know what you guys think if im making the right decision or the wrong decision. thanks tim hobbs.
It is an honar that you would want to serve our country sir ! i have some family in a few of the branches and i would say take some time to really think about it and if you feel thats what your called to do go for it but if not the world needs good ppl in all types of work . Be the best in whatever you do and you will never be without work be willing to do what other ppl dont wanna do and you will rise up so theres really no dead end jobs if you look at it right !!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
I would look at the Navy. The basic training is like Club Med.
Great Lakes in the winter months? Not so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.