Search

WGT 1/10 Pan Cars @ Hot Shots RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
zpg
Tech Adept

Default WGT 1/10 Pan Cars @ Hot Shots RC

An open thread for discussion about WGT 1/10 Pan car racing at HotShots RC

I have just come back to RC Racing about two years ago but originally raced 1/10 pan cars in the mid to late eighties when BoLink Invaders and Eliminators were some of the major chassis to beat. Though the cars of today are somewhat different then back then, the excitement of straight axel and foam tyre racing is still there. Which brings my interest into WGT 1/10 pan cars full circle.

A small group of us at Hot Shots RC will be starting to run WGT. Some of us in this group already have our cars ready and others are in the process of acquiring their chassis. As of now I know of 3, including myself, that are ready to run. I am inviting anyone who has 1/10 pan car or has an interest in WGT to come out and run with us. I will be running mine on Wednesday nights along with my TC.

The general consensus on what to run in the cars for now is as follows:
13.5 Brushless Motor
Blinky / Non-Boosted
1S LiPo

The logic here was to basically take the components some of us have in our 1/12 scale and drop them into WGT cars. Perhaps in the future as some of us become more comfortable with the cars we can look into boosting or 10.5. Again this is up for discussion and the reasoning for this thread.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Mine is together and ready. Ran it Saturday and bent a front axle. That was when i discovered the front end was a bit more customized then just a 12R5 swap in. Swapped the whole thing over for a Serpent front end sitting in my bag. Car drove great, though not able to quite keep up with the 12th scales. Changed the gearing a ton, and while I have equal corner speed, the torque out of the corners is just worse.

I think 13.5 is good for the track with the cars. Faster motors just means more tire wear. There are some folks who look to maybe bring 12th scale back (Danny, Shawn, D-Man, Steve) and since both classes are light, might be able to run them together? Speeds seem similar, and I have found pan car drivers to be a little more cautious/courteous since the cars are more fragile. I honestly wouldn't care if we were timed together, as this is club racing. Just a thought.

One big positive, Danny spent the day trying to find the right tire combo on his 12th. For me, Lilac's (WGT spec tire) worked great, very little pickup, and no fade through 8 min.

And the car sounds a lot better now Alex. New spur (this one is round and has all the teeth) and all that is left is the body echo.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
zpg
Tech Adept

What FDR did you finally land on Grant?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I'm in for sure!

On a side note - after reading what some of the euro guys have to say, 2s 17.5 and 1s 10.5 run fairly close to the same as well. I will be running a F1 with a 17.5 on foams in the near future to see how quick it is. I've heard from a guy that runs at Mikes out in Dallas he pulls on mod TC with his 17.5 F1 car!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I love 1/10th pan car but have been in and out of the class several times. There just aren't enough people running it. My opinion with on-road has always been to keep a 1/12th or TC around to race (those were always the two most popular classes, I'm not sure what the two biggest ones are at hot shots right now. TC and VTA I would assume) and then have the fun car that you like to drive as a backup car/just in case enough show up/car to play with between rounds kind of thing.

TC has always been my first love, WGT and F1 come in close behind. Mmm.. Foams.. Nothing goes bang quite as loud as a mod Foam TC that you tried to put in the corner just a little too fast and it traction rolls it into the wall at the end of the straight lol
Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Someone try and find Allen and see if you all can get him back out again. I know he has one ready to go.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zpg
What FDR did you finally land on Grant?
No idea. The smaller spur is an old one and no idea how many teeth. 73-76 I'd hazard a guess, and think I have a 40 tooth pinion in it. It's usually measured as rollout on pan cars, and no idea what my tire diameter is so hard to say. I am going to try gearing down a little, as I am missing the our of corner acceleration I think it should have. Came off at 120*. 88t spur is too big and what I was running.

Originally Posted by LMRacing
I love 1/10th pan car but have been in and out of the class several times. There just aren't enough people running it. My opinion with on-road has always been to keep a 1/12th or TC around to race (those were always the two most popular classes, I'm not sure what the two biggest ones are at hot shots right now. TC and VTA I would assume) and then have the fun car that you like to drive as a backup car/just in case enough show up/car to play with between rounds kind of thing.

TC has always been my first love, WGT and F1 come in close behind. Mmm.. Foams.. Nothing goes bang quite as loud as a mod Foam TC that you tried to put in the corner just a little too fast and it traction rolls it into the wall at the end of the straight lol
TC and mini are the big classes right now. VTA has fallen off a lot, and while a few people have them and bring them, there never seems to be enough to run. 12th scale seems to keep phasing in and out, mostly due to tire costs, but also a bit due to consistency in who comes out. Enough people have them, but getting them all out at the track on the same say is difficult. I don't think we are expecting any big 1/10th scale pan car revival (I am not anyway), but mostly for me it is a second class to play with and improve my driving with. And on the plus side, without the excessive tire wear or even tire options.

I agree, TC is my favorite as well. Never run foam tc, but I love how a TC feels on the edge of traction with rubber tires too. Not great at it, but I do enjoy it.

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny
Someone try and find Allen and see if you all can get him back out again. I know he has one ready to go.
Mmmm we have the back straight again...do we take bets on how high up the door he will hit? He has a 12th also.

So my question is, would people have a problem running the WGT and 12th scales together? Looking for people who might run either to chime in. I personally do not care if they are scored together or seperate (I am going to assume WGT is slower due to size/weight) but that is just me.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM
zpg
Tech Adept

I don't have an issue if we run along side with the 1/12 scale cars. I think the group of us with WGT are mature enough to yield to the faster moving cars or vica-versa. This would feel allot like the RL Grand-Am series where there are multiple classes in a single race.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
So my question is, would people have a problem running the WGT and 12th scales together? Looking for people who might run either to chime in. I personally do not care if they are scored together or seperate (I am going to assume WGT is slower due to size/weight) but that is just me.
Grant, that's a great idea due to the similar speed and low number of cars that turn out to race. At the On Road Nats controlled practice was VTA, Foam Tires, then TC. WGT were even slower than the 17.5T blinky 1/12. Fastest lap in the mains for WGT was 15.7 and 1/12 17.5T was a 14.8. Anyway I think its great to get more pan cars on the track.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Just a thought. I do not want to pilfer from one class to make another. I know Shawn had no problem punting my WGT (or TC for that matter) around with his 12th scale. At least the pan cars have similar lines and the speeds in the corners are fairly similar even with the acceleration being different.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

A while back when Alex and I were talking about WGT, I told him that I was in. I like the premise of using my 12th scale electronics in another car that has much better wear on the foam tires. It made sense. I have no interest in VTA at this point in time. So count me in for WGT.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mechintosh
A while back when Alex and I were talking about WGT, I told him that I was in. I like the premise of using my 12th scale electronics in another car that has much better wear on the foam tires. It made sense. I have no interest in VTA at this point in time. So count me in for WGT.
Steve you know you are of course welcome in WGT, and welcome to ruin your 12th scale till you get one.

My suggestion in the other thread was more directed towards the people who like mini because they feel TC is too fast or more appropriately too rough. A lot of the more aggressive drivers have moved to TC (for better or for worse) and it is a prime time for VTA to make a resurgence.

I'd like to pick up a new set of Lilac's for the WGT, true them down conservatively and see what kind of realistic tire life I get. I know even with my slim ones I got with the car, I still manage to chunk them. I know, stay off the dots...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

I would like a second class to run along with the M06. Also more time with the pancar will help with the F1. I am trying to acquire a CRC GenX LE pre owned first before I plunk down on a new car. Nevertheless I should have a WGT car on track late next week preowned or new.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So it is 13.5 stock 1s lipo now? I guess when we were trying to get it going before everyone wanted it to be a 8.5 motor.

I know I have been gone awhile (6 months) but looking at coming back for a simple class to run just for fun. NO STRESS!!!! Was thinking offroad till I read all the BS going on.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadRacing
So it is 13.5 stock 1s lipo now? I guess when we were trying to get it going before everyone wanted it to be a 8.5 motor.

I know I have been gone awhile (6 months) but looking at coming back for a simple class to run just for fun. NO STRESS!!!! Was thinking offroad till I read all the BS going on.
8.5??? At Nexus we started a boosted 13.5 WGT class and had decent turnout. I was .2 seconds slower with it versus my boosted 13.5 1/12th. That was on the small Nexus track. I'm sure that gap would greater on a larger surface.

I still have a brand new On-Point WGT car just sitting.

For S&G's why the non-boosted stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.