Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the official Grant is a cheater thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Hell I just wish I knew how I lost weight in the car. I drew the number on the rear trunk of the car just to be legal with 4 numbers. Oh well, I calmed down after you left. Just sucks, so many good drivers, and with getting taken out at the start, had a lot of catching up to do. Losing the equivalent of another position for 6 grams sucks.

Good, then just mine and Joe's car will sound like the ice dispenser at Burger King when we corner.
Did you turn it off when you weighed it? Those fans could have made it a little light in th tires.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is spelled, "caught".
It is spelled IT. Caught is spelled CAUGHT. Wrong is the only word which is always spelled wrong, but never incorrectly.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny
After weighing his car over and over tonight he did not and was something like 4 grams under weight.
I am lost. You are saying that he kept checking the weight and never made weight and that he raced any way? Is that it. Are you sure that a weight didnt get slung during the race?

I am not down there with you guys most of the time so I dont have a dog in this race. I am just trying to understand what is going on.

Based on the people who are chiming in on this conversation I am also assuming that this happened at Hot Shots???
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Default found the missing weight

I found a 7 gram weight on the track last night, and Grant, this is probably what fell off of your car. So hopefully this is a non issue anymore, just make sure to tape it in or shoegoo it in better next time.

Hopefully this is a non issue now and we can move on back to racing.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I am lost. You are saying that he kept checking the weight and never made weight and that he raced any way? Is that it. Are you sure that a weight didnt get slung during the race?

I am not down there with you guys most of the time so I dont have a dog in this race. I am just trying to understand what is going on.

Based on the people who are chiming in on this conversation I am also assuming that this happened at Hot Shots???
No I am saying that over a months time he will weigh his car 50 times and every time it will weigh exactly the same. He made some hardware changes early this week and checked the weight which was spot on to previous. Yesterday because of his history said no he won't weigh it because its always over and then after the main somehow and yet to be identified he lost weight and can't figure out from where. Last night was just straight up crazy with the tension from most all the racers as half had way to much traction and the others had none. To add to that the one person that has not run VTA in some time comes in blows all our doors off and does not change a thing on his car. Like I have said somewhere else, we are testing and learning a lot about tuning our cars. Some weeks it looks like some of us will be spot on and others we are just praying to make the bottom of the A main.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

LOL this is a great thread... We searched his car high and low the only thing he lost was an extra point. Grants belt tensioner came off but that still didn't bump him up to legal weight. Dannys just giving him shit By the way Grant you have to turn Hoover off before you put it on the scale or the hoover will hover. Good race last night though. Hopefully the hammer stays in retirement and can run 12th next week lol I got fucking passed full throttle on the straight by him. Time to go practice gearing setups. Last night was not the time to swap out pinions and mess with timing. I don't know why it felt like I lost punch by going down a tooth on pinion. My car was running good tues. when we ran grant but was way under performance last night. I am wondering if those 4 or more cycles in battery can make that big of a difference.

PS this is how your Hoover hovercraft looks on the scale

Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Is anybody watching grants car when he races? Im just thinking that with those fans he can hit a dot and hover over to the next turn.

Hey grant maybe your handling can be improved with ailerons. Possibly some rudder control????????
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Did you turn it off when you weighed it? Those fans could have made it a little light in th tires.
Both on and off...i was and am stumped.

Originally Posted by drdsanders
It is spelled IT. Caught is spelled CAUGHT. Wrong is the only word which is always spelled wrong, but never incorrectly.
Truer words have never been spoken.

This is Danny giving me grief, and more importantly, pointing out how silly I was being for being frustrated last night. As he put it, I have weighed my car with each change to make sure I have been legal, and I have been 1560 every time, up through last night. I considered weighing before, but figured it was a waste of time. At the end of the main, everyone brings their car to tech and everything is checked. I had a rough race (not as bad as some, but in the first corner I went from second to last due to a wagon train of cars behind me choosing not to use their brakes, and plow into my bumper instead), and after that ordeal, to be under weight for no noticable reason, and down 17 grams, I was upset. Not at anyone, but just in general. Danny, in his own way to cheer me up (and point out how silly I was being, since it is a 1 point bonus for being VTA legal, which I did not get), started this thread. So yes, I was unknowingly cheating by being 7g under weight. I raced to a super fantastic 4th place finish. The moral of the story is that Danny is a jerk face!

Originally Posted by hotshotrc
I found a 7 gram weight on the track last night, and Grant, this is probably what fell off of your car. So hopefully this is a non issue anymore, just make sure to tape it in or shoegoo it in better next time.

Hopefully this is a non issue now and we can move on back to racing.
Brad you know this is all in fun hehe. And I had no weights on the car except the 2 bolted on 3Racing ones which are still there. It's voodoo or something, but with the weights you gave me last night, I am back where I need to be. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny
No I am saying that over a months time he will weigh his car 50 times and every time it will weigh exactly the same. He made some hardware changes early this week and checked the weight which was spot on to previous. Yesterday because of his history said no he won't weigh it because its always over and then after the main somehow and yet to be identified he lost weight and can't figure out from where. Last night was just straight up crazy with the tension from most all the racers as half had way to much traction and the others had none. To add to that the one person that has not run VTA in some time comes in blows all our doors off and does not change a thing on his car. Like I have said somewhere else, we are testing and learning a lot about tuning our cars. Some weeks it looks like some of us will be spot on and others we are just praying to make the bottom of the A main.
That is so true. The competition is so high right now, that your car needs to be spot on AND you have to have a clean race between yourself and traffic, that the top spot is anyones game.

Originally Posted by ATLiens
LOL this is a great thread... We searched his car high and low the only thing he lost was an extra point. Grants belt tensioner came off but that still didn't bump him up to legal weight. Dannys just giving him shit By the way Grant you have to turn Hoover off before you put it on the scale or the hoover will hover. Good race last night though. Hopefully the hammer stays in retirement and can run 12th next week lol I got fucking passed full throttle on the straight by him. Time to go practice gearing setups. Last night was not the time to swap out pinions and mess with timing. I don't know why it felt like I lost punch by going down a tooth on pinion. My car was running good tues. when we ran grant but was way under performance last night. I am wondering if those 4 or more cycles in battery can make that big of a difference.
I am baffled on batteries. Allen's car is spot on, and running great on all cylinders. His driving skill sure helps too. He is running a ProTek lipo, and regular novac VTA stuff. His car is just dialed in. THe battery thing baffles me, but for now, my driving skill is having a greater impact then my Gens Ace battery.

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Is anybody watching grants car when he races? Im just thinking that with those fans he can hit a dot and hover over to the next turn.

Hey grant maybe your handling can be improved with ailerons. Possibly some rudder control????????
Pfft, have you retired that ball of duct tape you call a body yet?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Soon buddy, soon. All of my January rc money went into making a fgx that won't break. Sure cost a lot to fix the a arm problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I always used to shoe goo the front of my VTA bodies.. Shoe Goo is very heavy, if you knocked some out that could be your loss of weight..

Just saying.. It always bugs me when somthing like that happens to my car that I cant explain and it bugs me till I find it. Like last weekend not knowing why my car was wondering until in the third qualifier the nut completely backed itself off my TC6 servo saver.. At least I know what was wrong after tearing through the car up and down I never thought to check the servo saver.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Here's an idea, how about tech then race. /8)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waltuo
Why must you always be the voice of reason?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
I always used to shoe goo the front of my VTA bodies.. Shoe Goo is very heavy, if you knocked some out that could be your loss of weight..

Just saying.. It always bugs me when somthing like that happens to my car that I cant explain and it bugs me till I find it. Like last weekend not knowing why my car was wondering until in the third qualifier the nut completely backed itself off my TC6 servo saver.. At least I know what was wrong after tearing through the car up and down I never thought to check the servo saver.
Checked that too. Was checking my diff and shocks for fluid...thats how crazy it was driving me. The shoegoo in the body is why i needed so little weight as is. Meh, it is over, car is at weight, now if learning to drive it was only this easy to fix...

Originally Posted by waltuo
That is left to us as drivers to do. As has been hashed over a few times already in this thread, I have, many times, checked my weight. In other types of racing (have not been back in RC long), there is usually a pretech for safety (many times that happens once in a year, not every event), and actual tech happens after the final race. Do to logistics, it is usually just top cars and/or ones that might have raised red flags or random cars. Because there is a point advantage in being VTA legal, we check all cars. It makes sense to me, and it was my own fault for not checking before the race, not the races fault for not checking for me.

Just my opinion on it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Checked that too. Was checking my diff and shocks for fluid...thats how crazy it was driving me. The shoegoo in the body is why i needed so little weight as is. Meh, it is over, car is at weight, now if learning to drive it was only this easy to fix...

That is left to us as drivers to do. As has been hashed over a few times already in this thread, I have, many times, checked my weight. In other types of racing (have not been back in RC long), there is usually a pretech for safety (many times that happens once in a year, not every event), and actual tech happens after the final race. Do to logistics, it is usually just top cars and/or ones that might have raised red flags or random cars. Because there is a point advantage in being VTA legal, we check all cars. It makes sense to me, and it was my own fault for not checking before the race, not the races fault for not checking for me.

Just my opinion on it.

+1 no need for the track to tech before the racing. Only thing that matters is how the car finishes. The cars are pulled and teched right after the race. No going to the pits first.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just great, I put my car on neutra system for F1 and now I have to send it back to Burger King.

Last edited by mxrich; 01-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.