Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know Weber carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default Anyone know Weber carbs?

Anyone here willing to make some extra money helping get a 240z to stay running? Its got a single Weber DCOE45-152 on it. No idea of jets or choke sizes. Do know that if the choke is half opened it will start and idle about 1500rpm but soon as you give it gas it chokes and dies.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes I know about carbs.. No I wont help you.. you were mean to me flaunting about your $250 240z... In other news, clean your jets. The pilot jet can be clean and the carb will let the car idle but if the main jet is cloged when you give it gas it will die because you flood it with air and no gas gets in. The choke can have a seperate enrichining circuit that will pump some extra gas into the motor as well but its not as common on car carbs as it is in motorcycle carbs.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Anyone here willing to make some extra money helping get a 240z to stay running? Its got a single Weber DCOE45-152 on it. No idea of jets or choke sizes. Do know that if the choke is half opened it will start and idle about 1500rpm but soon as you give it gas it chokes and dies.
Thos are pretty simple carbs. Go to an auto parts store and get a gallon of carb cleaner take the carb apart and soak it overnight. Blow it out good and reassemble. Might want to pick up an overhaul kit so you can replace the gastkets, needle and seat and other little parts inside. Get an exploded view and go to town!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yeah, weber carbs, get em to idle and they wont run on top, get right on top and the don't idle. I know they prefer a wider LSA on the cam to get em to run correctly, I've never been able to tune one worrth a damn.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Oh and regarding your post on facebook I much prefer Mikuni Carbs. Much simpler to assemble/disassemble and while they wont have the same amount of power a good tuned tripple pack of webbers would have they are much easier to tune
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

If the car has been sitting definitely check the jets. probably best to do a full rebuild. have you checked for a clean hot spark, timing, good quality fresh fuel, fuel filter, good cap rotor plugs and wires? Maybe even compression? too often other problems are blamed on the carb. I have had webers, hollys, edelbrocks, demons, quadrajets, autolites, etc. even rebuilt an original 56 caddy carb. while they all can get gummed up you'd be surprise how much abuse they will take. not saying it isn't the carb just covering all of the bases to hopefully save time and trouble.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by toycardriver
Yeah, weber carbs, get em to idle and they wont run on top, get right on top and the don't idle. I know they prefer a wider LSA on the cam to get em to run correctly, I've never been able to tune one worrth a damn.
Have to agree. a pain to tune but when they're right they hold their settings and you better hold on tight. had a Weber that took a few hours to get dead on right but didn't have to touch it for over 60000 miles.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default WON'T IDLE

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Has anyone been working on the engine around the carb? sounds like you have an air leak, loose vaccum hose something like that.
Did it start all the sudden or has the car been sitting not being driven?
If it's been sitting up sometimes rats will chew a hole in a hose, making the carb or intake suck in more air so you have to close the choke to match gas fumes to air ratio, then it will get to rich and die, then you will need to clean you spark plugs they will be carboned over (Black).

good luck,

Carl Knight
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default weber carbs

See if this helps out any http://www.racetep.com/webjettune.html