Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with RC's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Flying with RC's

Has anyone flown commercial airline with RC car/truck lately? Is all the gear, lipos, tx/rx allowed? Or is it better to just use FedEx or UPS?

Going to CA in Jan and want to do a little racing.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cptxaggie
Has anyone flown commercial airline with RC car/truck lately? Is all the gear, lipos, tx/rx allowed? Or is it better to just use FedEx or UPS?

Just my opinion but I would ship it to where you are going. I know they used to do that back in the 6cell days. Plus they are less apt to loose it like the airlines
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by cptxaggie

You could always put a sign on it stating,"Dont touch my JUNK or I'll sue"!
That seems to work good with the TSA people. Really its just much less of a hassle to just ship it.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Lipo batteries are not permited in flight. Its why you have to tell the post office if your shipping a battery. At altitude in the cargo bay (read also non pressurised) they run a risk of explosion. so I'd say ups

Also, remember at altidude the non pressurized compartments end up below freezing temps
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
Lipo batteries are not permited in flight. Its why you have to tell the post office if your shipping a battery. At altitude in the cargo bay (read also non pressurised) they run a risk of explosion. so I'd say ups

WRONG! You can carry-on your lipos.

This is another thread just like there here - http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...1-edition.html
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing

Also, remember at altidude the non pressurized compartments end up below freezing temps
I don't think this accurate....
LiPo's are not banned by the airlines, if this was the case, alot of computer users would be really upset! Having just flown to Texas today, the only problem I had was that the Airline had me remove one of computers from my luggage because they had no protection from theft or being crushed. As for the temperature, it's not so much of an issue because the battery is not beeing used during transport, just make sure the battery has some charge on it before transport.
I mean really, if you mail/ship your equipment to the location you going to race at, how do you think the mailer/shipper is going to get it to your location?!?..... Your package is more then likely going to end up in the belly of a plane at some point, especially if being shipped from coast to coast in less then 5 days.

Last edited by rctouringracer; 11-24-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Honestly I would just ship them a couple days prior to flying. After all the flying Ive done over the last few weeks You don't want ANYTHING that will cause any issues. Hell in military uniform in Atlanta I ended up down to just my pants, socks and a t shirt before passing security.....and they aren't supposed to make us get out of uniform.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Talk to Eric Anderson, he flies all the time. I think he carries his car, radio and everything with him and ships sprays, oils and stuff like that. He can give you the best answer...he flies with his stuff all the time and they were just talkin about it the other day in the snowbird thread.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So I stand corrected.. was just somthing I was told a while back when I asked about shipping a lipo at the post office
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input. I believe I will be shipping everything except the batteries which I will carry on in the lipo sack.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can take the lipos and charger on as a Carry on. Put the trucks in your suitcase. That's what I did when I flew to Oklahoma and I didn't have any problems.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Honestly I would just ship them a couple days prior to flying. After all the flying Ive done over the last few weeks You don't want ANYTHING that will cause any issues. Hell in military uniform in Atlanta I ended up down to just my pants, socks and a t shirt before passing security.....and they aren't supposed to make us get out of uniform.
knowing you i sure you alerted something on purpose just hoping they would pat you down.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigde2001
knowing you i sure you alerted something on purpose just hoping they would pat you down.
lol yeah im the reason TSA is under so much fire......after the 4th time voluntarily going through security nekkid carrying rubber gloves they asked me kindly to leave